What will the stage look like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Damn, they wedged those 300/400 sections into the ceiling. Haven't been in the Garden since March 2013 when the renovation wasn't complete yet, and I was just off the floor anyway, so haven't really seen the fully reconfigured MSG yet. Most of the 200s look like the old 300s (although not as high up as Barclays Center's 200s) so $312 for those? Bah.

Basically the 200s are the old 300s & 400s. The suites have been moved down between the new 100s & 200s. The old high suites are now the 300s/bridge area.

The interior walkway is gone, so you can't walk around the inside of the bowl anymore - see an unused seat? Good luck getting there.

The rows of seats are longer, too. Need refreshments or a bathroom break during a event? You should've thought of that sooner or bought an aisle seat.

Got a front row seat in the 200s? Stand up or watch the event from behind plexiglass, and hope your knees don't hit the tv in front of you.

What an improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

you can have all the blueprints/compute software in the world but nothing is certain until the gear is in the venue.

I find the screen idea interesting but it's odd they know what's a "limited view" months before video structure has even been built. It's also unclear how scoreboards and varying sized(height & length) venues fit into the mix. Fans are left in the dark regarding sightlines and what exactly is going on with the double night set list pattern.

I do find it very odd that they haven't released a diagram of the stage for fans to see... as it would probably go a long way in explaining some of the prices they are charging. Maybe not justifying those high prices, but at the very least explaining why some locations are more than others.

As far as as the logistics of the size of the screen and stage and how it works with sightlines and arena scoreboards? It's 2014. They've got some pretty bitching computers these days that can judge all of those things before hand.

U2 have the best tour designers and architects in the world. Could there be some logistical issues that they can't foresee until everything is installed? Sure... but to think that they haven't ironed out the majority of potential issues ahead of time is just silly.

They're pretty good at this touring/staging thing. Let's give them a little credit.

I do find it very odd that they haven't released a diagram of the stage for fans to see... as it would probably go a long way in explaining some of the prices they are charging. Maybe not justifying those high prices, but at the very least explaining why some locations are more than others.

As far as as the logistics of the size of the screen and stage and how it works with sightlines and arena scoreboards? It's 2014. They've got some pretty bitching computers these days that can judge all of those things before hand.

U2 have the best tour designers and architects in the world. Could there be some logistical issues that they can't foresee until everything is installed? Sure... but to think that they haven't ironed out the majority of potential issues ahead of time is just silly.

They're pretty good at this touring/staging thing. Let's give them a little credit.

Logic. In interference....

GTFO.
;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

With the 360 tour, wasn't everyone in the dark until they did the initial test setup (in the UK somewhere?). I vaguely remember pictures posted of the top of the Claw, seen from a residential area.

The claw was being constructed and assembled in Werchter in Belgium. By a company called StageCo...
Visible for all, the claw's frame was towering above the small town of Werchter.
Can't really hide anything that big.

They uploaded some blue prints of the stage when 360 was first announced.

i am sure the band's napkin sketch was the basis for what most venues showed in terms of set up. hell, who cares how accurate it is when people are deciding to spend this kind of money.

I'm the only one that remember them releasing the schematic to the 360 tour before the 2009 shows went onsale?

Similar tickets in one markets are sold as "limited view" are sold without that fine print in another city. Venue height and length do vary in the venues they selected. There also needs to explanation why some seats are 3 times are triple when they are similar distance from the main stage. A giant LED wall doesn't add that much value.

Is this there first tour since Joshua Tree without any Mark Fisher design input?

I will attend GA so I don't really care about the stage. I wish it was just "Three Chords... And the Truth"
I attended all tours since ZooTv and I have to admit my favorite was Elevation Tour. (Apart of the Zoo... Of Course)

Barcelona's Palau Sant Jordi scheme shows no seats behind the stage and No B stage, just Main Stage and long "Catwalk"

Let's see... Long wait is holding

Enjoy!!!

Similar tickets in one markets are sold as "limited view" are sold without that fine print in another city. Venue height and length do vary in the venues they selected. There also needs to explanation why some seats are 3 times are triple when they are similar distance from the main stage. A giant LED wall doesn't add that much value.

+1

When I saw the PDF tickets of my seats in the 15th row of the upper deck at the SAP Center for San Jose 1, I saw the words "Limited View."

This is the view from the 15th row of the SAP Center upper level:

anonymous-20140307103138.jpg

I hope they can raise that scoreboard sufficiently enough to provide space for the screens over "The Shaft," but I'm concerned that my view of the main stage is gonna be pretty obstructed.

+1

When I saw the PDF tickets of my seats in the 15th row of the upper deck at the SAP Center for San Jose 1, I saw the words "Limited View."

This is the view from the 15th row of the SAP Center upper level:

anonymous-20140307103138.jpg

I hope they can raise that scoreboard sufficiently enough to provide space for the screens over "The Shaft," but I'm concerned that my view of the main stage is gonna be pretty obstructed.
That screen HAS to be raised, or else the screen running over the stage would be about 2-3 meters above the stage itself.

That screen HAS to be raised, or else the screen running over the stage would be about 2-3 meters above the stage itself.

I agree that it can be raised (and even retracted in the sense that the main board will fit into the two upper LED rings), but you can see from the photo how low the ceiling is (just above the upper suite level)

My suspicion is that in some of these older arenas with low ceilings (SAP San Jose, MSG), there are going to be obstructed seats for people in the higher rows if the crew is not planning remove the center scoreboards in these venues.

U2-Seating-Chart.jpg

What's also interesting is that, if you zoom in on that diagram, it appears that the screen has a width of only 1 row of seats, or about 3 feet.

you can have all the blueprints/compute software in the world but nothing is certain until the gear is in the venue.

I find the screen idea interesting but it's odd they know what's a "limited view" months before video structure has even been built. It's also unclear how scoreboards and varying sized(height & length) venues fit into the mix. Fans are left in the dark regarding sightlines and what exactly is going on with the double night set list pattern.

I have some MSG seats that have weird angles that are considered limited view. It's a definite mystery.

Going to San Jose Show SECTION 222, unfortunately I didn't notice it said LIMITED VIEW....what's going to be blocking my view? Am I going to be looking at the back of their heads?? Please can someone tell me so I can resale these asap. Thanks

Same thing happened to me. I am going to one of the L.A. shows and I always thought the Red Zone would be to the sides of the main stage as the band has done in the past 3 tours. I used my pre-sale code and got my tickets in section 123 ($118 each). I recently found out that I will not see the stage as I planned.

I am going to one of the L.A. shows and I always thought the Red Zone would be to the sides of the main stage as the band has done in the past 3 tours.

Red Zone was previously outside the ramp (and only started on 360).

Red Zone was previously outside the ramp (and only started on 360).

You are right. My bad. My point is that people wanted to be inside the heart, inside the circle, and there was a Red Zone on the last tour. All this in the main stage. So yeah, that's how I got confused this time around and bought my tickets far from the Red Zone and ended up now behind the stage. Yup yup.

Maybe the limited view thing is just so the venues can cover their asses just in case?

I mean we do know they said they wanted this tour to be more intimate. So from that I feel like if they do have screens, they will be small. If they want it intimate that would mean most seats having a great view. And the basic stage layout makes sense if it does go across most of the arena floor, which they could move up and down so every section gets a close look.

Same thing happened to me. I am going to one of the L.A. shows and I always thought the Red Zone would be to the sides of the main stage as the band has done in the past 3 tours. I used my pre-sale code and got my tickets in section 123 ($118 each). I recently found out that I will not see the stage as I planned.

Same here, very disappointed. Boston 1 though

I'm the only one that remember them releasing the schematic to the 360 tour before the 2009 shows went onsale?

Is this there first tour since Joshua Tree without any Mark Fisher design input?

Partially right. It was not a schematic but just a big X diagraming the claw. No one knew what the stage would look like until the construction pics from Barcelona leaked.

Yes - this will be the first tour without Mark Fisher, but that does not mean that his office is not involved. They are still doing great work without him.

This stage was designed months ago - with the new management team I would not be surprised if some of the Madonna team are involved in this with Willie Williams.

What I find interesting (read dismaying) is that the diagrams basically show the opposite of the Metallica stage. They did a big box in the round and pushed the crowd to the sides. This is two side stages with all the crowd (read ticket purchasers read revenue generators) in the middle split by a barricade.

I imagine there is a big video screen doing something behind the rectangular stage and the round one will be a traditional B stage but closer to the back crowd.

Also imagine something overhead above the runway...

Yea... The most advanced touring crew in the history of rock and roll is going to forget about the overhead scoreboards in arenas and just fuck the whole thing up.

That's a realistic thought.

"The most advanced touring crew in the history of rock and roll" designed and built a stage with a ton of obstructed seats on the last tour.

Is it really that far-fetched to think that they might do it again, especially if they are marking tickets as "Limited View?"

Partially right. It was not a schematic but just a big X diagraming the claw. No one knew what the stage would look like until the construction pics from Barcelona leaked.

Actually, if I recall correctly there was an animated view of what the stage was going to look like as far as the claw when the tour was announced. There was one for Popmart also.

I remember a big splashy computerized approximation of the claw for the promotional campaign to sell 360 ticket. It was definitely part of the pitch. And then when the construction pics came out it was like, "yep - that's it all right."

"The most advanced touring crew in the history of rock and roll" designed and built a stage with a ton of obstructed seats on the last tour.

Is it really that far-fetched to think that they might do it again, especially if they are marking tickets as "Limited View?"

But they marketed the tickets as obstructed view. They didn't lie about it, and it wasn't a fuck up.

There also weren't " tons" of obstructed view seats on 360.

But they marketed the tickets as obstructed view. They didn't lie about it, and it wasn't a fuck up.

There also weren't " tons" of obstructed view seats on 360.

I suppose reasonable people can disagree on this, but I would contend that these are obstructed views:

3754648280_a15697608f.jpg

131589_3677_3675693867_d27648a80.jpg

5956093494_4bb2acb2c2_z.jpg

And with 4 box trusses holding up the claw, there were a lot of seats with views like those.

Well, I think I'd say that the Claw is an essential part of the show and so it blocking a tiny strip of the stage isn't an obstruction. That's my :twocents:

Back
Top Bottom