U2 Sirius XM Town Hall - Listen Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of those fan questions were so cliched and generic. Also sounded like they were being read from a cue card/teleprompter; cynic in me wonders if they were even actual fans. Never listened to one of these before but I assumed it would be more spontaneous and less rehearsed. Nothing interesting worth sharing on here.

Last edited:
My big takeaway is that Songs of Experience is nowhere near ready.

Also: Larry basically told setlist complainers to shove it since diehards represent only 20% of a show's audience.

Also: Larry basically told setlist complainers to shove it since diehards represent only 20% of a show's audience.

Awesome! Good for Larry for speaking up!

Sent from my SM-G925V using U2 Interference mobile app

I didn't hear or read the interview. Not surprising I guess, but what did they say that suggests Songs of Experience is not anywhere close to being ready?

Edge was very clear that the band is taking their time. He said something also along the lines of "we are nowhere near the finished product, but we are excited with what we have so far"

Well, it´s about the approach they have chosen. They want to play for big venues, to please the casual fans, so they have to play their biggest hits every night for most of the show. The negative aspect is, the hardcore fans will be bored and the band also can get burned along the way,,,

This interview was so frustrating...especially the SOE part.

There was first a canned, fan question, which the band skated around and never really answered. Then the moderator followed it up to push them for more info, and basically Edge finally conceded that "the one thing I can say about SOE is that it is nowhere near finished".

This is SOA all over again. Not only will SOE not be released during this tour, it will never be released. Next U2 album will have nothing to do with SOE and will arrive sometime around the year 2020, after being reworked by 15 different producers, and scrapped at least 5 times. The end result will sound like everything they've done since 2000: very, very safe.

I also agree that the message to hardcore fans was essentially: "Screw you. We're (still) way more interested in appealing to the masses."

I also agree that the message to hardcore fans was essentially: "Screw you. We're (still) way more interested in appealing to the masses."

Yep, that´s basically their approach since ATYCLB after Pop fiasco happened. Since that they they lost contact with their instincts. With the exception of the last album that is excellent. But the current tour and Edge´s quotes are frustrating.

This is SOA all over again. Not only will SOE not be released during this tour, it will never be released. Next U2 album will have nothing to do with SOE and will arrive sometime around the year 2020, after being reworked by 15 different producers, and scrapped at least 5 times. The end result will sound like everything they've done since 2000: very, very safe.

I think so, unfortunately. Whatever happened to SOA? Is it somwhere down in thrash bin?

after listening to the really enjoyable, not to mention promising "u talkin u2 to me" interview they did, reading this thread is disappointing, won't bother listening. :huh:

I think so, unfortunately. Whatever happened to SOA? Is it somwhere down in thrash bin?

I believe some of the SOA songs got rewritten, morphed, broken into pieces and copy and pasted into different songs, some of which ended up on SOI, and some that might be on the hypothetical SOE. Some of the SOA songs probably did get thrown down the trash bin. One thing is for sure; Songs of Ascent was never some complete 12 song album that just got thrown away.

SOE has since been canned, cut, put on hold, shelved, etc.

Release date is now 2020. The album will be called U2020, along with the world wide stadium tour to support it. The tour will be sponsored by the 2020 summer Olympics, which will have a tie in to the album release. There will be a song on the album titled 'Tokyo', and u2 will dress for the album promotion and videos in traditional Japanese wardrobe.

I believe some of the SOA songs got rewritten, morphed, broken into pieces and copy and pasted into different songs, some of which ended up on SOI, and some that might be on the hypothetical SOE. Some of the SOA songs probably did get thrown down the trash bin. One thing is for sure; Songs of Ascent was never some complete 12 song album that just got thrown away.

Songs Of Ascent was only ever an idea. I doubt they ever had any actual songs completed.
Seems like there is a break of 6 months coming up after the Paris shows. Maybe that will be enough to get it nearly there.

after listening to the really enjoyable, not to mention promising "u talkin u2 to me" interview they did, reading this thread is disappointing, won't bother listening. :huh:

That's too bad, as it's also an interesting interview (even though the questions sound a bit too rehearsed, but the follow-up is good). Quite enjoyable when U2 is talking. :)

As a hardcore fan, that's certainly not the message I got. Although I am not surprised to hear that they're going for the 80% instead of the 20%. That should not surprise any fan.

As a hardcore fan, that's certainly not the message I got. Although I am not surprised to hear that they're going for the 80% instead of the 20%. That should not surprise any fan.

Agreed. Frankly, I am thrilled when they do pull out a "rarity" (by any definition) and acknowledge the "trainspotters" like us. The way I look at it, they could easily play the same exact set every night, and ticket sales would not suffer in the least. Casual fans simply don't go more than once, and there would be plenty of them to fill the spaces left behind if hardcore fans skipped extra shows because of identical setlists. IMO

Did anyone catch the name of that punk band Bono mentioned and went to see in LA? Curious to check them out

Back
Top Bottom