U2 I+E Tour documentary coming to HBO in the fall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragonfave

New Yorker
U2 Concert Tour Special & Documentary Coming to HBO this Fall | Variety
U2 and HBO are teaming up for two world premiere specials this fall — a behind-the-scenes documentary and a concert special.

The documentary, bowing on Nov. 7, will offer access to the rock band and the team behind their current iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE world tour, while also featuring interviews with Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr.

The concert special will present U2’s Nov. 14 performance from the Bercy Arena in Paris.

“U2 continues to take risks, which has made them one of the most consistently exciting forces in rock’n’roll,” HBO president Michael Lombardo said Thursday. “The one-two combination of this documentary special, followed by the concert, will provide viewers with the ultimate look at this remarkable band behind the scenes and on the stage.”

U2’s iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE world tour kicked off May 14 in Vancouver and runs through November.

Both the doc and the performance special will be available on HBO GO and HBO NOW at the time of the cabler’s TV premiere.

The Hollywood Reporter:
The documentary will feature interviews with Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. as well as the supporting cast of Willie Williams, who has created tour concepts for the band for more than 30 years; award-winning designer Es Devlin, newly signed on for this tour; production director Jake Berry; audio director Joe O’Herlihy, executive director Gavin Friday; set designer Ric Lipson and others who bring the tour to life.

The documentary will be produced and directed by Davis Guggenheim (An Inconvenient Truth) and produced by Shannon Dill, with U2 manager Guy Oseary serving as executive producer.

Last edited:
Never mind. Reading comprehension fail. How exciting!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This is a cool way to do it besides just releasing a DVD (like how Rose Bowl was originally live streamed)! At least we now know for sure which show will be filmed.

I was just thinking about how somehow we probably won't be getting this on HBO Canada (that happened to us with "From The Sky Down" on Showtime Canada, it was delayed by 6 weeks IIRC). Then I realised I'll be in England that day anyway. I'm not going for U2, but it's amusing that we're flying home on the 14th when they film in Paris. This is going to be cool to watch when we get home though. :up:

Seems like pretty convenient timing to coincide with a release of Songs of Experience...

Just sayin.

You could actually be onto something there......although wishful thinking

so only one show? I hope they film the rest too for bonus tracks

otherwise you know we'll get Elevation and Ordinary Love in the bonus e-stage slots.

I liked the idea of a show dvd culled from the best/most interesting performances across the entire tour.

I liked the idea of a show dvd culled from the best/most interesting performances across the entire tour.

I'd like that for a CD, but for a DVD I like the idea of it all being one show. But that's just my preference.

Don't get your hopes up... People always get their hopes up amd get disappointed

Your caution is absolutely warranted, and I never try to let my hopes get raised with their album releases anymore. BUT, I'm just saying that the timing works in a few ways. And while the Apple thing bit them, i think that having this HBO special, would be a really great way to introduce SOE.

I think that one thing that gets lost on newer fans, where they can more easily write the band off without giving them a chance, is that their looooooong history actually means something and is an integral part of both SOI and SOE.

I think it would be a cool way for them to purge themselves of the Apple hullabulloo and reintroduce/recalibrate themselves with the release of SOE.

But again, not holding my breath. :)

Didn't the HBO guys specifically mention getting to hear some of SOE in Vancouver...maybe they filmed a little bit for album promo...

k77mhciihi1jaj2adfkl_zpsxuyhmtdd.gif

Didn't the HBO guys specifically mention getting to hear some of SOE in Vancouver...maybe they filmed a little bit for album promo...

I would also think that a deal with HBO is not an off the cuff last minute thing. I would guess that the timing of the tour / documentary / album release would be sort of a set plan. But obviously, U2 fans know better than any that plans change along the way.

so this is probably way too optimistic, but what if they skipped the traditional dvd for something completely different.

Every show is being filmed and stored in very high quality digital video. Why not make all shows available in a library and let people assemble their own set list from different shows and pay a set price. Limit your custom show to say 25 songs for $25 dollars. The technology isn't overly complicated and their tour sponsor can assist. or apple with iTunes, they have talked about a different way to deliver music. They would probably increase the revenue they would receive because a good number of us would buy more than one show or more than one personalized setlist, whereas we would only buy a single copy if it was a fixed show.

i'm probably overlooking potential problems, but the main one i would foresee is copyright issues with snippets.

I'd say it's pretty much guaranteed that 2016 dates will be announced following this broadcast, which fits well with the announcement timing of last year.

As far as SOE? I'm not gonna hold my breath at all for this. If it comes out I'll be happy as can be, but I do know which band we are talking about, and that a lot can change in a year. As far now, I've got a great new album, just saw them live earlier this month, and it's likely that I'll be seeing them again next year. I'm a very satisfied fan right now... a new album would just be the cherry on the sundae.

so this is probably way too optimistic, but what if they skipped the traditional dvd for something completely different.

Every show is being filmed and stored in very high quality digital video. Why not make all shows available in a library and let people assemble their own set list from different shows and pay a set price. Limit your custom show to say 25 songs for $25 dollars. The technology isn't overly complicated and their tour sponsor can assist. or apple with iTunes, they have talked about a different way to deliver music. They would probably increase the revenue they would receive because a good number of us would buy more than one show or more than one personalized setlist, whereas we would only buy a single copy if it was a fixed show.

i'm probably overlooking potential problems, but the main one i would foresee is copyright issues with snippets.

This. Being able to download concert films of any show would be the dream. I'd download the shows I went to in a heartbeat. Snippet copyrights may be a potential hurdle, but since it's U2 I'm sure they can get their way.

Nothing like U2 fans turning a simple announcement about one thing into a confirmation of their wild and baseless hopes and dreams

Shit. After last night I still can't get the word "scissors" out of my head.

Back
Top Bottom