Travellers - Booking Accom And Flights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone here flown on Spirit Airlines?

I'm probably going to book them for Mpls > Chicago since the price is so good. I've read some horror stories, but many of them look like people that ended up surprised by some of their fees. Besides, seats not reclining is a good thing imo

I have. I consider myself a bargain hunter but I will never fly Spirit again even if they offered me a free flight which I'm sure I'd end up paying for somehow. They are the king of the hidden charges, unlike I've ever scene (and I've flown Ryan air).

If you already booked I hope your experience is the complete opposite of mine :)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Trying out Air BnB for the first time (ever) for the Amsterdam/Berlin shows. I'm getting really excited ?

I have. I consider myself a bargain hunter but I will never fly Spirit again even if they offered me a free flight which I'm sure I'd end up paying for somehow. They are the king of the hidden charges, unlike I've ever scene (and I've flown Ryan air).

If you already booked I hope your experience is the complete opposite of mine :)

Yea these discount airlines... there's a reason why they're cheap. And in many cases they're really not THAT much cheaper than a bigger carrier.

Yea these discount airlines... there's a reason why they're cheap. And in many cases they're really not THAT much cheaper than a bigger carrier.

Yeah, I've seen the bad reviews. I haven't booked yet, but my thinking was that I can get by with a tiny 'personal item' for the weekend, and if we make sure to print our boarding passes I don't know what else they could hit us up for.

The flight is only an hour each way, but I'd save about $100 for both tickets and go into O'Hare instead of Midway. Maybe Sun Country is a better option, since it's still pretty cheap.

Thank you both for the replies.

I booked MSP>Chicago tickets for just over $200 pp on Delta a couple of weeks ago. Seemed reasonable to me, plus I get the miles. I've seen them at $160 but I didn't pull the trigger quick enough

Yeah, I've seen the bad reviews. I haven't booked yet, but my thinking was that I can get by with a tiny 'personal item' for the weekend, and if we make sure to print our boarding passes I don't know what else they could hit us up for.

The flight is only an hour each way, but I'd save about $100 for both tickets and go into O'Hare instead of Midway. Maybe Sun Country is a better option, since it's still pretty cheap.

Thank you both for the replies.

There should be plenty of flights into Chicago that aren't overly expensive on a major carrier. I'd hold out and/or spend the extra shmeckles, but that's me.

I always check Sun Country and Spirit, but usually end up with SWA, Delta or United.
Too many times I've been at the airport, and there's a problem with the plane--mechanical or it's incoming really late--and the airline switches planes or puts you on another flight. The smaller, cheaper airlines don't have the capacity for that.

So of course, I booked Sun Country for NYC. :huh:

Nyc

Any suggestions for good hotel in NYC? Not looking for bargain basement but not looking at the four seasons either. Cheers.

Any suggestions for good hotel in NYC? Not looking for bargain basement but not looking at the four seasons either. Cheers.

This place just opened up recently, so it's still fairly shiny - not the height of luxury, but cheap for the center of Manhattan. Lobby is nice and it has a food court attached with some good eats. Times Square Hotel - NYC Hotel - Row NYC About a 10-15 minute stroll to the Garden.

I guess it depends on what else you want to do whilst there. You don't need to stay nextdoor to MSG. I've stayed in Midtown a few times but found the nightlife a bit sterile. Last time I stayed at Cooper Square, better bars, eateries and easy to get uptown. I'm staying in Soho this time round. Close enough to where I know but again something a bit different and cheaper

But I'm sure there will be better answers from NY'ers, I'm just a lousy limey:lol:

if you're not comfortable with taking subways, stay in and around midtown so that you're a quick walk or cab ride to MSG.

if you don't care about price, look in tribeca, soho or meatpacking district. suggestions would be tribeca grand or standard.

if it's a weekend you can sometimes find decent rates in the financial district, as those hotels are more for business than tourists.

if you want a decent hotel for a little cheaper than in manhattan and have no worries about finding your way around on mass transit, try long island city or jersey city. take a look at the Z hotel in LIC or any of the hotels on the waterfront in jersey city.

Trying out Air BnB for the first time (ever) for the Amsterdam/Berlin shows. I'm getting really excited ?

My Air BnB experiences have been great so far (all in Europe).
I will be in Berlin as well! :up:
Which night are you going to?

Ga

Well after much research, it would appear that one of the finest pints of guiness is to be had at The Four Faced Liar, near Union square. Btw does anyone know the deal with GA tickets. Are they solely entry via credit card or are there hard copy tickets? Have seen a few for sale here in Miami.

Well after much research, it would appear that one of the finest pints of guiness is to be had at The Four Faced Liar, near Union square. Btw does anyone know the deal with GA tickets. Are they solely entry via credit card or are there hard copy tickets? Have seen a few for sale here in Miami.

GA for the NYC shows are not credit card entry, there are hard tix.

That's in the West Village, not Union Square.

You are correct sir. 165 West 4th Street. Was thinking Washington Square park.

Will probably get getting tickets for the last two MSG shows, or the 2 dates before the last two.

For those that are traveling for these and going to more than one, any suggestions for a relatively nearby hotel to stay one night in between the shows?

For a hotel of any sort of quality in the area you're looking at around $200 pee night minimum, give or take.

Hotels that are significantly less than that? Enter at your own risk. Some might be just fine, some might be sketch as fuck.

If you have no issue with hostels, that's your cheapest option, obviously. But generally speaking hotels in NYC are expensive, especially in Manhattan.

My advice to anyone who's looking for a real hotel without spending an arm and a leg is to explore options in the outer boroughs that are near mass transit.

Back
Top Bottom