TICKETS: HARD vs CC-Entry Only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Bank Of America debit even has the chip that some of our European posters have talked about.

Perhaps its different north of the border? I dunno

The chip technology is coming to the States, I just got my Discover Card re-issued with a chip years before it was due to expire cause they want to be ahead of the game. (and of course its the card I used to buy 2 sets of U2 GA's with, hoping there's no issue but I'm holding on to the old card till July to be sure) We'll be all chip and no swipe before you know it.

Yeah, especially after a string of security breaches at some large chains here, the card companies are accelerating the issuance of chip cards finally. All of my credit cards have been replaced by chip cards in the past nine months (but neither personal or work debit cards yet). However it will still be signature here and not pin, for now. I have yet to see stores with the new chip reading machines though, still have to swipe!

Then sorry if this sounds dickish (I hope it doesn't) but I think you might be mistaken about something here. Since debit payment arrived here 20ish years ago, entering a PIN has always been required by law. It has never been legal to sign a receipt for a debit transaction here and because of that it is and has always been impossible to pay for something with a debit card in this way.

If the place you made this purchase at actually did it this way, the only thing I can possibly think is that the store clerk mistakenly assumed it was a credit card and unthinkingly got you to sign the time-out/cancellation receipt (and the store never got paid), or they were trying to run some kind of scam. :shrug:

Unless it was a dual debit/credit card (ie Visa debit), in which case the payment method would more likely depend on what button the clerk hit to activate the payment system.

It's not a dual card, 100% a debit card. I don't even carry my creditcard around. I'm not sure swiping even still works with my creditcard either, it doesn't have the magnetic strip anymore.

The fun thing about my transaction is, that it actually went through. I checked with my bank when I got back home, and it was completed. Which should have never happened. So yea, I still have no idea wtf happened there.

What I do notice here is that the way we pay for stuff is vastly different in mainland Europe compared to the states. From what I gather from people over here, you guys still use checks and creditcards for nearly everything. While here it's custom to use a debit card for nearly all, and a credit card for some purchases like expensive electronics (gives a warranty by CC company) or hotels and flights and the likes. But for things like going to a restaurant, a bar, or regular shopping? Debit card is the regular way to go.

Nobody pays for anything with a check unless it's rent.

The confusion that's happening is that in the states 99.9999999% of debit cards can be used just like a credit card, and I guess that's not the case in Europe? There are debit cards in Europe that don't have a major credit card logo attached to it?

Uh yeah :lol: We have debit cards issued by the banks. They *Could* provide an additional credit card, but most people get their credit card with the big companies like Visa. But our debit cards are regular bank atm cards which cannot be used as credit cards. If your bank account hits the negative, prepare to pay 12% interest over your debt.

I don't even remember the last time in my life I saw a check. I must've been... 5 years old or something. They don't exist here anymore.

It's not a dual card, 100% a debit card. I don't even carry my creditcard around. I'm not sure swiping even still works with my creditcard either, it doesn't have the magnetic strip anymore.

The fun thing about my transaction is, that it actually went through. I checked with my bank when I got back home, and it was completed. Which should have never happened. So yea, I still have no idea wtf happened there.

What I do notice here is that the way we pay for stuff is vastly different in mainland Europe compared to the states. From what I gather from people over here, you guys still use checks and creditcards for nearly everything. While here it's custom to use a debit card for nearly all, and a credit card for some purchases like expensive electronics (gives a warranty by CC company) or hotels and flights and the likes. But for things like going to a restaurant, a bar, or regular shopping? Debit card is the regular way to go.

That's really weird, I dunno how that could have happened. Sorry if I made it seem like I was calling you out there, I was just very, very confused.

We've had chip & PIN for pretty much all debit transactions for the past 3 or 4 years now, and credit cards are almost always chip & PIN now too, unless there's a problem with your chip in which case they swipe and you sign. I was very surprised the first few times I went to the U.S. that they don't seem to do the chip barely anywhere for credit cards, which seems crazy to me considering how much more secure it is.

Uh yeah :lol: We have debit cards issued by the banks. They *Could* provide an additional credit card, but most people get their credit card with the big companies like Visa. But our debit cards are regular bank atm cards which cannot be used as credit cards. If your bank account hits the negative, prepare to pay 12% interest over your debt.

I don't even remember the last time in my life I saw a check. I must've been... 5 years old or something. They don't exist here anymore.

So the debit card isn't also a credit card. It's just used like one. If you have no money in your account, you'll either decline or get a hefty fee.

They just all have a Visa or Master Card logo, and can be used at any location that accepts Visa or Master Card.

So if you were to buy your U2 tickets with your debit card, you'd simply being the debit card to the show and swipe it just as you would a debit card.

That's really weird, I dunno how that could have happened. Sorry if I made it seem like I was calling you out there, I was just very, very confused.

We've had chip & PIN for pretty much all debit transactions for the past 3 or 4 years now, and credit cards are almost always chip & PIN now too, unless there's a problem with your chip in which case they swipe and you sign. I was very surprised the first few times I went to the U.S. that they don't seem to do the chip barely anywhere for credit cards, which seems crazy to me considering how much more secure it is.

It sounds pretty ridiculous doesn't it? :D Which is why I was confused as well.

And agreed. It's mad that swiping is still the norm, while it's quite unsafe.

So the debit card isn't also a credit card. It's just used like one. If you have no money in your account, you'll either decline or get a hefty fee.

They just all have a Visa or Master Card logo, and can be used at any location that accepts Visa or Master Card.

So if you were to buy your U2 tickets with your debit card, you'd simply being the debit card to the show and swipe it just as you would a debit card.

Yeah it's exactly like that. Our debit cards have a maestro logo. But the problem is... they'd swipe the debit card, yet there's no magnetic strip to swipe. Well the strip still exists on the card but it doesn't work. So what exactly are they going to check?

That's exactly right. But if you use a debit card in the States, you have to say it's a credit card else it doesn't seem to work, well for me anyhow:lol:

So is it check or cheque?:lol:

Yeah it's exactly like that. Our debit cards have a maestro logo.

So your card has this on it?

latest

Cool.

Yeah it's exactly like that. Our debit cards have a maestro logo. But the problem is... they'd swipe the debit card, yet there's no magnetic strip to swipe. Well the strip still exists on the card but it doesn't work. So what exactly are they going to check?

Maestro is part of Master Card. So in the US and Canada, a Maestro debit card would work like a US Debit card with Master Card/Visa logo on it, and they processed it like a credit card.

In Canada, I thought that most of our debit cards were issued by banks/financial institutions, and on the Interac network. Although I gather than now credit card companies now issue debit cards as well? I don't even know. I bank at a credit union, and I'm stuck in 1995.

Maestro is part of Master Card. So in the US and Canada, a Maestro debit card would work like a US Debit card with Master Card/Visa logo on it, and they processed it like a credit card.

:hmm: Oh, that might have caused the confusion then. Still pretty mad that it worked, while it shouldn't have, but now I at least get why they thought it was a credit card.

Back
Top Bottom