TICKETS: HARD vs CC-Entry Only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Credit card tickets are unfair. What if someone doesn't have a credit card, or has the ticket bought for them as a gift or something? If bands really care about scalpers they'd prevent tickets being moved to Ticketmaster's scalping site. Alas, most don't give a shit about exorbitant prices being charged. They're just annoyed that the money isn't going to them.

Credit card tickets are unfair. What if someone doesn't have a credit card, or has the ticket bought for them as a gift or something? If bands really care about scalpers they'd prevent tickets being moved to Ticketmaster's scalping site. Alas, most don't give a shit about exorbitant prices being charged. They're just annoyed that the money isn't going to them.

Agreed, this whole credit card only tickets seems ridiculous to me. Apparently now the ticket vendors can decide that everybody MUST have a creditcard, or you can't see your fave band? It makes no sense..

I mean... I get complaints from the standpoint of buying tickets as gifts, for kids who may not have a card, or for those whose plans might change and want to sell the ticket to a friend...

But the overwhelming majority of tickets are sold online or over the phone, which would require a credit and or debit card. So the number of people this would effect is very small.

It may seem larger here because there's a large trading community. But in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal whatsoever.

Idk, I think it's one of those things where it isn't a big deal...unless it is, because you're poor, paranoid, are otherwise disenfranchised, or live in a far less consumeristic culture where it's not a given you've got credit. This policy requires you to be plugged into the standard banking system in order to participate in something that you'd previously been able to pay cash for if that's the way you wanted to pay.

It's a relatively weak attempt to keep ticket re-sale in the primary market. Simple as that. Nothing more, nothing less, and hardly anybody is affected at all in either the primary or secondary market.

Idk, I think it's one of those things where it isn't a big deal...unless it is, because you're poor, paranoid, are otherwise disenfranchised, or live in a far less consumeristic culture where it's not a given you've got credit. This policy requires you to be plugged into the standard banking system in order to participate in something that you'd previously been able to pay cash for if that's the way you wanted to pay.

But where the hell can you still pay for tickets with cash?

And really, who doesn't have a bank account where a debit card would be attached to? Even a lot of teenagers have their own debit cards in this day and age.

I mean... I get complaints from the standpoint of buying tickets as gifts, for kids who may not have a card, or for those whose plans might change and want to sell the ticket to a friend...

But the overwhelming majority of tickets are sold online or over the phone, which would require a credit and or debit card. So the number of people this would effect is very small.

It may seem larger here because there's a large trading community. But in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal whatsoever.

Here you don't need a credit card to buy online. We have a system that works with a debit card. So you're saying the CC entry tickets work with a debit card as well? That would solve that complaint I guess.

Still sucks for trading indeed, and I'm not sure if this is going to nuke scalpers.I wonder how they enforce this system at the Arenas.

Of course it works with debit cards. Is there anything that works with credit cards that doesn't also work with debit cards?

Chipotle. Dunno about elsewhere but here they only accept credit cards and cash.

And until I got a new "Visa debit" card last week to replace my old debit, I couldn't use my debit for any online purchases unless I went through something like PayPal (which doesn't really count as using your debit card, IMO).

Chipotle. Dunno about elsewhere but here they only accept credit cards and cash.

And until I got a new "Visa debit" card last week to replace my old debit, I couldn't use my debit for any online purchases unless I went through something like PayPal (which doesn't really count as using your debit card, IMO).

The Chipotles by me take debit cards... I understand that debit cards w/o Visa or Master Card ties may not work, but those are really very few these days!

that's... really strange.

all debit cards have the option of being rung as debit or credit cards, soooooooo that must be just a personal option by that particular chipotle's owner.

that's... really strange.

all debit cards have the option of being rung as debit or credit cards, soooooooo that must be just a personal option by that particular chipotle's owner.

It definitely is not only that location, every Canadian Chipotle I've ever been to had the exact same policy with signage posted directly on the cash registers and front doors. I don't know why this is the case, but it's for sure something official.

It's annoying as hell.

Of course it works with debit cards. Is there anything that works with credit cards that doesn't also work with debit cards?

And it works at the arena by simply swiping your card to confirm, much like picking up movie tickets you bought online at the theater

Well here they work separately. Lots of stores that accept debit cards but not credit, and the way to do transactions online is different here. Credit cards have a code and login for the credit card company, but for a debit card you need a special device or code from your own bank. We don't swipe credit cards here though, so I'm not sure if that even still works. Everything is on the chip. :hmm:

Whenever I've used my debit card in the US, they ask me "debit or credit", I used to answer "debit", but it never worked. Answer "credit" it works fine.

I don't understand:sad:

Whenever I've used my debit card in the US, they ask me "debit or credit", I used to answer "debit", but it never worked. Answer "credit" it works fine.

When I was in Canada, they just swiped my debit card like woah. :lol: And it worked! While it's supposed to require a PIN. So weird. Though now I don't think that's gonna work as we don't have the swipe strip anymore due to it being unsafe. Our creditcards don't work with swiping anymore either. All with chip and code.

But where the hell can you still pay for tickets with cash?

And really, who doesn't have a bank account where a debit card would be attached to? Even a lot of teenagers have their own debit cards in this day and age.

It's not *common*, but, for example, when the Foo Fighters tickets went on sale a few months ago, it was in-person only for a few hours on a Saturday at the box office and I paid cash. Also, obviously when selling/buying in person (secondhand).

I know, I know, but I hear tell of it being hard for poor people/people with bad credit (or their children) to even get a bank account. idk.

When I was in Canada, they just swiped my debit card like woah. :lol: And it worked! While it's supposed to require a PIN. So weird. Though now I don't think that's gonna work as we don't have the swipe strip anymore due to it being unsafe. Our creditcards don't work with swiping anymore either. All with chip and code.

Heh, 'Murica. Let the free market of identity theft decide! (also, Canada is our adoring/loathing little sibling.)

Heh, 'Murica. Let the free market of identity theft decide! (also, Canada is our adoring/loathing little sibling.)

That was my first thought indeed. Damn it's easy to just snag someone's card here and pay whatever you like. They didn't check the signatures either. And those things are still pretty easy to fake. :wink:

It's not *common*, but, for example, when the Foo Fighters tickets went on sale a few months ago, it was in-person only for a few hours on a Saturday at the box office and I paid cash. Also, obviously when selling/buying in person (secondhand).

I know, I know, but I hear tell of it being hard for poor people/people with bad credit (or their children) to even get a bank account. idk.

i don't want to be all self righteous and all but if someone is too poor to get a bank account, perhaps they'd be better off spending their money on something other than U2 tickets.

My credit union has always told me to answer credit when using my debit card because I will not get charged the extra fees on my account. I hardly use it as a debit card and therefore do not know my PIN. When I need it I will dig up the PIN for it.

That's exactly my point, it was my debit card. But they treated it like a credit card. Which baffled me.

Then sorry if this sounds dickish (I hope it doesn't) but I think you might be mistaken about something here. Since debit payment arrived here 20ish years ago, entering a PIN has always been required by law. It has never been legal to sign a receipt for a debit transaction here and because of that it is and has always been impossible to pay for something with a debit card in this way.

If the place you made this purchase at actually did it this way, the only thing I can possibly think is that the store clerk mistakenly assumed it was a credit card and unthinkingly got you to sign the time-out/cancellation receipt (and the store never got paid), or they were trying to run some kind of scam. :shrug:

Unless it was a dual debit/credit card (ie Visa debit), in which case the payment method would more likely depend on what button the clerk hit to activate the payment system.

Most debit cards are "dual debit/credit" cards, you can hit either button and it'll work, but you may have to enter your PIN if you choose debit, so most people choose credit because they'd rather sign than enter a PIN. *shrug*

Back
Top Bottom