TICKET DROPS Thread II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did. But my heart is set on going again. And despite what you say, everyone and their mother knows about the cancellation line now. Saturday and Sunday when I went it was just everyone minus their mother.

I'm going again. I guess I'll have to just go earlier and hope for the best. It may be a harder ticket to get being the last shows...but maybe plans were made that knew what the demand would be and there will be more. Who knows.

My heart is set on going again. I'll go early. My cousin who actually loves them but hasn't seen them in 30 years is going with me. I'll be extremely bummed if I come up empty handed.

I almost feel bad dragging her into this - she is saner and more mature than I am! I told her what she is getting into. She says she understands. I think she'll cope better than I will if it goes wrong!

Oh, and they can try and scalp tickets - it would be nice if MSG staff told them "not this, you can't have this."

Most places it's legal. Most places say you can sell for face or lower. Only rule i hear at MSG is not 100 feet near the building.

I've told you my story. I only saw 2 scalpers get tickets and run out and they were fairly waiting i the front of the line. Anyone can. Everyone else that got GAs was a fan like me to my knowledge.

This whining about the world being perfect isn't gonna help everyone. I mean, a few people on here have told stories about the jerks in the seats behind them who aren't scalpers, but rich jerks. I met some very nice scalpers and some terrible real fans.

I feel most of us got tickets in the general sale. This is for last minute "gifts" tickets I would call them. Also two chord you won twice, so you can't expect to win again. i won once, I don't think I'd test fate.

Anyway -- i'm cheering for everyone to get tickets. I am. But you aren't going to change people trying to scalp tickets. Just don't buy them. But people do. So it will never end.

So in NYC they can scalp for well above face, but most other places is face or lower?

The scalping itself is not what bothered me as much as us as fans having to be so flexible and wait until last minute just to fend off the scalpers. Because I thought that it was illegal (to sell above face), I was just perplexed that the city wasn't enforcing the rules on the books.

But now that you guys say in NYC there are no rules, I suppose the system the box office has to fight them off is understandable.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/magazine/the-secret-science-of-scalping-tickets.html?_r=0

In general, stubhub and official scalpers of MLB have helped push out the mom and pop scalper businesses that a lot of people are very mad at. Point is, even ticketmaster is in the game now reselling tickets. And honesty, it's better and worse all at the same time. It will never be perfect.

But the goal is to make money, not please everyone at the show and make sure only "real" fans show up. And as you can see from going to shows, real fans can be some of the best people in the world and some of the biggest douches. And who judges who is a real fan? I just want good people who want to go to pay as least amount as possible.

But imagine a world where you couldn't sell a ticket to an event you couldn't attend. Then you would be on the other side, going "why can't I sell these tickets?"

Anyway these are real problems. Most of us won't give a shit in a few days. That's why it's nice sometimes to see that small band who you pay 30 bucks to see and don't have to worry about all this drama.

Personally, i'm only really mad mad at the scum who scam people with fake tickets. This is different to me than trying to make money off a product someone else wants. Buying all the popular toys and selling them on Ebay for twice as much type of thing, I can expect. I got these tickets, I paid 100, you want them, I will give them to you for 500 bucks, if you accept, we both know the deal, but at least you expect the person to have some heart and make sure the tickets are real. Back in the day, at least those fucking tickets were real. Now they fuck you over the sink and you don't get to go inside either. That's a real new low.

What is my point? Oh yeah, I'm going to sell my tickets for 7000 a piece.

Last edited:
There is a razor thin line between asking for $600 and up for a GA and selling counterfeit tickets - both are unethical.

And it would be one thing to just so happen to have tickets and want to sell them, even make a few bucks on them, but it's gotten to the point where they rush in to buy all of the tickets before fans can even get them, and then force a kind of artificial demand for them.

Of course fans want them and are willing to pay for them, but the legality of scalping has now made it so that fans are willing to contemplate paying absurd money for tickets.

I guess if you are going to allow it then you also have to allow people to demand whatever they want for it, but it just seems wrong. It's an example of the worst side of capitalism.

The law had good intentions... It was to prevent teams and venues from having complete control over resale of purchased items, and to protect sites like StubHub. The no credit card entry rule had similar intent... it restricted the rights of the consumer to sell or trade their purchase.

Like most good ideas in politics, they didn't fucking take the time to fully flesh out all of the negative impacts to these laws, which have no run amok.

Never had good intentions. Venues and teams etc were never a big problem as far as I'm aware of. I believe this was lobbied for and now Holy Hell has been unleashed.

Wish me luck not getting beat up or shanked in the next few days but I don't intend to stand behind known scalpers.

Never heard of teams, leagues or venues trying to get any more than face value for it. If anything it wasn't epidemic. Now it's outrageous.

This has never worked me up since the days of standing in line have gone away. Online has made my life better. I've been able to see U2 any time I want. Or any event. I'm sure I failed over the years, but its' not like I've never been able to get tickets w/o paying 4x their value. I've always gotten tickets for U2 from ticket bastard (remember hating them?). Most have here. Right?

My dad only bought resale tickets from this agency on route 1 in Boston area.... mom and pop stubhub places that existed for 30 years before they did. And he knew prices of ticket and usually wouldn't even try to get them until last second for around face.

It's like anything else. You have a limited edition widget. You want 10K for it. Someone might give you that, or 15K or you might have to take 8900K when no one else wants it. It's stupid capitalism. But the other ways aren't great either...

Lately the only thing we are dropping in this thread are opinions...

Ticket reselling has been going on for years. Technology now makes it easier for people to purchase, resell and transfer tickets, of course that will also make it easier to sell for over face. The reason U2 GAs are so coveted by resellers is because U2 prices them way under market value. U2 being good to their fans creates a sellers market.

Luckily, I was able to secure GAs to 4 shows in the presale/general sales. I was shut out for one show and ended up having to pay over face for an upper because I wanted to be in the building and nothing was dropping from the box office.

I wish you guys luck for the next 2 shows, but it's going to be hard because the demand is now rising for tickets because of all the positive reviews.

I've never had this much of an issue getting tickets at face for shows I wanted... these two final shows have by far been the toughest tickets I've ever chased.

This.. I never got a single ticket during general sale. I'm glad I sold my soul to U2.com and got a shitty presale code. (which in Europe allows you to purchase tickets for one single show) I've been searching for tickets non stop. But can't seem to find anything for the remaining Amsterdam shows. Its bloody hard to get anything at face. People are selling most for 3 times the price on any market.

Would have been nice to be able to use your presale for at least two dates.
But on the other hand I should be glad I'm going to see them at least once.

Not sure what happened to the final two shows, but they have been by far the most expensive on the secondary market. It could be the calendar/end of July, or good reviews, I guess. Stubhub starting at $260, which is crazy.

Surprisingly, the shows have grown progressively more expensive as the two weeks went along. You could find plenty of reasonable stuff for around $100 on Stubhub for the first weekend. I (admittedly by sheer luck) bought GA on Stubhub for $70 for the first night. The Monday (NYC6) show was more expensive than the first Saturday/Sunday shows, I believe. Crazy.

Last edited:
I didn't know people had so much trouble. Did you guys try in general sale or are we talking about GA only at the time? I guess I was lucky or willing to take terrible seats.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I didn't get a single GA during public sale. Got seats for 7/22, 7/23.

Oh, a $338 GA for 7/31 popped up. It was gone in about a minute...

I haven't tried for the last two concerts as I already have tickets (seats) for those, from public sale. Also got GAs in the public sales (U2.com code) for NYC3.

I got fairly lucky in the general sale (26th GA, 27th & 30th seats, GA 31st). Then upgraded my seats in the last couple of weeks with TM drops.

I never got GA in general.

Not sure what happened to the final two shows, but they have been by far the most expensive on the secondary market. It could be the calendar/end of July, or good reviews, I guess. Stubhub starting at $260, which is crazy.

Surprisingly, the shows have grown progressively more expensive as the two weeks went along. You could find plenty of reasonable stuff for around $100 on Stubhub for the first weekend. I (admittedly by sheer luck) bought GA on Stubhub for $70 for the first night. The Monday (NYC6) show was more expensive than the first Saturday/Sunday shows, I believe. Crazy.

I think it's the fact that it's NYC, the final shows of the NA leg and the good reviews. The VIP list for the final shows will be long. I also think because ticketless entry is outlawed fewer folks were able to get GAs so there are more people looking than for other shows.

I didn't know people had so much trouble. Did you guys try in general sale or are we talking about GA only at the time? I guess I was lucky or willing to take terrible seats.

It was stupid easy to get GAs for the LA shows and I think that was thanks to ticketless entry. I was able to pull GAs in the general sale for 3 of the 5 shows, the other 2 I'd already bought GA in the presale. For NYC, it would be harder because you're competing with the scalpers and they were already in higher demand just for being in NYC.

ETA: I forgot, I did pull a GA for one of the first NYC shows for a friend in the presale.

I did well because I was going after 1 ticket and 48/86 range and knew I wasn't getting GA (I got GA in presage) so I didn't worry much about it.

Anyway, are people already in line for box office.

Was willing to buy anything under the 100 Euro range. Seats or GA, Nosebleeds.

I'm not that picky if I notice I can't get GA.

Its just a supply and demand problem over here in Amsterdam, and lets say Berlin too.
U2 can sell out more shows in those cities/countries than they offer.
They could easily pull of 6 days.

all U2360 dates sold out within 30 minutes. Thats 4 x's 55.000+ people.
Remember experiencing myself how hard it was to get them back then. And all the complaints of others about how hard it was to get tickets. :giggle:

Now they do this to us. :lol:
Still again. Don't want to sound like a casualty.I'm happy and blessed and lucky I got something with the fanclub presale.

For NY 7/8:

I'm not really speculating w/ GA's, but have expensive tickets (pairs for instance) always dropped at the box office in the afternoon?

Right now there are only a couple of TM resales but they are crazy expensive, but if I'm "sure" there will be normal seating drops tomorrow and Friday, I'd rather go with that...

Anyone?

From what I have read every single New York show has had expensive tickets drop at the box office day of.

And someone above mentioned that there was a $330.00 GA on resale today. It actually was two tickets. I had one of them in my cart but then I looked at what the airfare would be for me to fly out Friday morning and come back Saturday morning and dumped it back into the pool. A few seconds later both tickets were gone so I didn't even have a chance to come here and tell anybody about them.

Yeah I mean I got lower level seats in the general sale in December which were great for last week.

And now I'm keeping an eye out for a ticket to Friday. So I'm sure i'm not the only one, and its just been building with people wanting to get whatever to see an extra show, or they missed out and now positive word of mouth has led to more people who haven't been to any shows yet as well.

Do any of the $48 ones get dropped?

Yeah I mean I got lower level seats in the general sale in December which were great for last week.

And now I'm keeping an eye out for a ticket to Friday. So I'm sure i'm not the only one, and its just been building with people wanting to get whatever to see an extra show, or they missed out and now positive word of mouth has led to more people who haven't been to any shows yet as well.

Do any of the $48 ones get dropped?

I can't speak for day of show, but I found a random $48 single on Monday night for tomorrow. Certainly it seems like some were held back.

Wow, you got it from checking Ticketmaster?

You can release your tickets through the website/app I think, so maybe they just put it right back up after refunding? Or yeah could've been held back.

By the way - I Love that when you go to the ticketmaster website, it says "Not Many Left!" And then you look for tickets and it shows none available. So it should say "Not ANY left".

Last edited:
It should say "go fuck yourself."

Never heard of teams, leagues or venues trying to get any more than face value for it. If anything it wasn't epidemic. Now it's outrageous.

Years ago teams started allowing resale offseason tickets through their own websites, and at a premium. Now it's been consolidated but things like ticketexchange (nfl) and Sabres replay (nhl) were exactly that. As long as people are willing to pay the premium to be at the "it" event, there's nothing that can be done.

Back
Top Bottom