TICKET DROPS Thread II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also I always wanted to write a movie based on waiting in line. So this was just research. One of my favorite married and children episodes is about bundys waiting in line for concert tickets. And portlandia just did brunch episode.

I honestly had a great time and stayed because I liked talking to people around me. It's what I miss most about work. Waiting and bull shiting with strangers is my forte.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I believe one year I waited all day for Springsteen at Asbury Park Convention Hall, and there was someone there interviewing everyone for either a book or movie (can't remember if they were filming). That was such a great day. Most/all of us got in, at least the ones that got there early. I'm not sure anything ever came of that book or movie though, never saw anything about it.

I've always thought the same thing though. As nervous as I can get, the thrill of getting into a show at the last minute is awesome and makes the show extra special

I wonder if anyone knows science or behind scenes of drops. My theory was that hold back some for fans but most come about when some celebrity doesn't show up. Or MSG worker doesn't claim his 4 giveaways for the night at certain time they go back into pool. Of course how would they know they aren't coming. So it's all just theories.

I would watch a documentary on this.

What happens with most major shows is that the promoter,band,venue and sponsors all get a certain amount of tickets set aside for VIPS/friends etc.
Usually these are some of the best seats in the house. As the show date gets closer, usually starting the week before- as some of these remain unclaimed they put them back into the general sale. Also once the stage is moved in, certain areas that they thought might be obstructed might end up being usable seats and then those will be thrown back into the system.
The reason there are so few GAs being released in NYC is that most of the VIPs of the band are in the seats in the lower level or in those VIP riser areas- so they didn't hold back too many regular GA tickets for VIPs, which means not many to throw back into the system. Thats why it was mostly the prime 100 level seats that the box office kept releasing yesterday since those were held for LiveNation/U2/MSG at one point.

The reason there are so few GAs being released in NYC is that most of the VIPs of the band are in the seats in the lower level or in those VIP riser areas- so they didn't hold back too many regular GA tickets for VIPs, which means not many to throw back into the system. Thats why it was mostly the prime 100 level seats that the box office kept releasing yesterday since those were held for LiveNation/U2/MSG at one point.

The VIP riser areas (which seem unique to MSG) also take up space at the expense of the GA area. In other venues, they seem to have initially sold a conservative number of GAs in order to stay well within the fire codes. When the stage was set up, they were able to release more.

NYC and LA has more famous people? Shocked!

In Boston we just have Affleck, Damon and Wahlberg. So we only needed 1 row of good seats.

Also in line yesterday as it was 5 min to 8pm people were getting antsy and wanted to rush the box office. I shouted LEROY JENKINS!!! to deafening silence.

Also in line yesterday as it was 5 min to 8pm people were getting antsy and wanted to rush the box office. I shouted LEROY JENKINS!!! to deafening silence.

Thanks, I hadn't watched that in years. "Leeroy, you moron!"

Seems like your primary hobby is couch tatering and watching the boob tube!

That's an crazy old expression and a made up one. Couch potato?

But that reference is from a viral video from what the kids call the world wide web.

None taken. My handle is CLERKS. (a Kevin Smith Film if you don't know). I went to film school. I love TV and pop culture. I just have never heard that phrase before. Boob Tube of course I knew, but my wife didn't. Now that I think about that expression I assume it's like a baby to a mother's boob... never thought about it before.

I always assumed "boob tube" referenced the "boob" as a "dolt" or "dimwit" or "dodo" etc. etc. etc.

Can this thread please get back on topic? Every time I get my hopes up for a ticket drop and it's more nonsense... there's plenty of other threads on this forum to do that at.

Amen... :huh: Past few days have been a mayor disappointment . You hope for a drop... but end up wading trough the same questions, comments and remarks every time.

I understand that you don't have tickets yet.. No one here does.
Shut up and wait for a drop.

Alright - a little bit of related on topic stuff...

I have been corresponding with a woman on Facebook that did the cancellation line on Thursday - apparently MSG staff caught on to the fact that scalpers caught on to the cancellation line - this has me so happy I'm almost aroused! - she told me that security staff were bypassing the scalpers on the line and grabbing obvious fans! I SO HOPE this is a permanent thing and they don't even bother with the remaining shows!

No drops except box office day of show and random 300 dollar seats. Happy now?

Came in from Austin ticketless, and my sister is here from Fla. ticketless too. I know the box office opens tomorrow at noon. Is there any value to showing up at this time for the show tomorrow night, or is it later in the day that will be better? I've got the whole family here (3 kids + hubs), and I am not sure they want to hang out at MSG all day, but I would really like this to work out.

Looks like all of the resale prices just keep going UP!

Last edited:
I would respond to you, but I was told to keep on topic. I don't know if this keeps on topic. And I don't want to reply to you and then people think there is a drop. So I'm sending this message ONLY to you. Everyone else ignore it.

I don't think resale is a terrible idea if you really want to go and of course it's more expensive, but then you don't have to worry about fake tickets. It's price you pay for peace of mind, knowing you are getting in and not getting tickets months ago.

I showed up at 5pm and found success at 8:06pm. There was a girl there who got tickets at noon.

Most drops online for MSG, all I've seen have been 300 tickets. But those are only 280 at the box office, so even that might be worth waiting for.

Thanks, Clerks. I am going over at noon (family too). We won't hang out all day, but maybe for an hour or two and then try again in the evening.

Hope I don't have to pay resale prices, but I didn't come this far not to see the show.

Ignore me everyone-- thanks XBL for doing so.

Resale is very high for Sunday, Monday show had OKAY prices. But if it's close to 280, then I can't believe you won't be offered at least 2 together at that high price, but if you hold out as long as you can, usually cheaper seats pop up at box office or I heard they lower prices....

Also people in line in front of me, got GAs, then came out not to scalp but sell the seats they already had for face and you were 99% they were real because you stood in line with them for 4 hours and talked to them as people.

How many tickets you trying to get? again so sorry for talking about how to get tickets in the ticket drop thread. I feel terrible about this, I really do.

Somebody in the U2 tickets group on Facebook posted that there was a GA drop at the box office around 1:00. They estimated around 30 GAs got drop. No word if there might be more later.

Any info if at that time you had to sit in pen or you could walk right up to box office. I wasn't sure if pen started at certain time like say 4pm and before that it's a free for all.

There were people waiting, but they didn't say where. I thought I had read earlier today that people were queuing somewhere on the 33rd/7th side.

Been in line since 11:30. About an hour ago, they had everyone formally line up and we're waiting. We've been told GAs will be available after 5 but that hasn't happened yet. At some points throughout the day, we were told that you would just have to check the box office periodically that they weren't going to make any announcements. I went up a couple of times and they said tic would be available after 5. Went up around 4 after I bought my t-shirt and they had lower level available for regular price.

Back
Top Bottom