Thoughts after watching opening night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh ps. How long is the Intermission?

Dunno but I have a feeling it's less than 10 mins. In fact one review of last night didn't recognise it as such, just said the "segment between songs" showing punk interviews/clips etc was too long.

Oh so not enough time to go grocery shopping or anything? Thanks. Just wanted to plan ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunno but I have a feeling it's less than 10 mins. In fact one review of last night didn't recognise it as such, just said the "segment between songs" showing punk interviews/clips etc was too long.

Sorry, forgot to add to my last post, I also read that it was 5 minutes elsewhere. So yeah, seems to be somewhere in that ballpark.

On another note, I think I'm spoiled from my memories of 360. The band was absolutely on top of their game, at least for the 360 shows I attended, especially in Toronto, the best show I've ever seen. So I think in my head I'm comparing yesterday's performance to the shows I saw late in the last leg of 360, and I know that's unfair.

They'll be a different band within a month. U2 always takes a few shows to get going. And last night had to nerve racking for them. Coming off injuries, family loss, and bad PR (album release).

Oh so not enough time to go grocery shopping or anything? Thanks. Just wanted to plan ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are ways...

95KYcGl7TdeqfsBrBfCe_Grocery%20Store%20Moonwalk.gif

They'll be a different band within a month. U2 always takes a few shows to get going. And last night had to nerve racking for them. Coming off injuries, family loss, and bad PR (album release).

I know. I'm totally aware that I'm being unfair in my comparison.

I think the band had a special energy during 360 though. The stadiums and the massive energy, the stage layout and the way the band really moved through it and ultimately mastered it... Hope they can get that going on this tour.

Maybe tonight the intermission will be 30 minutes of Bono lecturing the crowd about various social ills.

I'll let you know.

Forget the setlist, they have a lot of work to do on the basics. Bono was especially forgetful tonight. I've never seen him forget the lyrics to Streets before.

No point in judging the stage design and lighting until you're there.

He had a teleprompter working on the i stage.

I saw Bono be a little cautious last night. I guess he really has to be in the mood to 'go for it'. The music and lyrics were off several times which I chalk up to rust.

He played like a child during Sweetest Thing and singing over songs before they were finished. I haven't seen hm do that in a very long time.

I think we all did that, honestly.

Don't worry, you're in good company, friend.

My very first thought other than a kind of vague sadness that an old man I didn't know has died was "I wonder how much Lucille will go for at auction" :sad: Everything's commodified these days. Still, with 50 grandkids :)ohmy:) surely SOMEBODY wants the guitar.

Obviously, having never seen them play live, I'm not really in a position to judge from first-hand experience, but I wouldn't put it past them to finish with Troubles - they have a track record of ending sets with imo somewhat odd choices - Love is Blindness, Moment of Surrender, Wake Up Dead Man.

Loved edges solo in the troubles that really could be massive if they place it right

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Maybe he'll have a flip out like he did during the Vertigo tour.

This isn't rocket science..all we need to do is revisit the previously established U2 Fan Acceptable Threshold Levels For Bono Tour Sermonizing that were calculated in years past for village bombings, school shootings, and the like, and from that we can extrapolate just how many unarmed people have to be killed by police before Bono should be saying anything at U2 shows about it. That should solve that bit, at least.

Ugh I am such a loser, when I saw that BB King died today one of my first thoughts was "how will this impact the U2 setlist?" :|

I doubt that's how you thought it. My guess is it was more along the lines of "I wonder if they'll play When Love Comes to Town in honor of BB King". I think we all thought the same. Don't beat yourself up....

This isn't rocket science..all we need to do is revisit the previously established U2 Fan Acceptable Threshold Levels For Bono Tour Sermonizing that were calculated in years past for village bombings, school shootings, and the like, and from that we can extrapolate just how many unarmed people have to be killed by police before Bono should be saying anything at U2 shows about it. That should solve that bit, at least.

Drop it, Gabe.

Back
Top Bottom