Thoughts after watching opening night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have we already discussed how odd it was that Invisible and Real Thing were played in the screen-prison? Those are some songs where the band does not need barriers.

Save the screen-prison for the Zooropa and Your Blue Room performances. :wink:

Is the screen a prison or a projector though? Ooooh...ponder that one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it's early days and people don't really want it but am surprised they appear to have ditched miracle drug.

In all fairness we have no clue what they've ditched and what they haven't. It was one show on opening night on a tour where they originally stated they wanted to switch things up from night to night. They rehearsed too many songs for us to be thinking they've ditched songs already. Let's all wait and see how tonight plays out. Even then it's still too early to tell but at least we might get a small idea as to what extent, if any, they're going to change the set from show to show.

Speaking of prison. I thought Bono was going to chain that poor kid to the post during BD.

There was the ISIS offering (for Acrobat) we talked about in 'What would make you walk out of U2 concert?' thread

Was Acrobat ever really in play? I didn't follow rehearsals so this is an honest question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is anyone else really blood excited to do yesterday all over again tonight? I'm counting down the hours. I feel like we were all watching the show together, what a thrill. Really hope we get a Periscope feed again. :drool:

I'm sitting here anxious as hell to just get on with it. Last night was incredible to be there and tonight I'm excited to see what, if anything, changes.

Really surprised that One is not in the setlist. Any sign of the One campaign signs in the arena to promote it? Maybe it's a political thing? The One campaign has been ripped by many people since the 360 tour ended.

I saw that they did the (RED) campaign video before Streets, so he is still pushing that. Tomorrow will be the 12th anniversary of Bono starting the One campaign, it's just odd that he isn't promoting the campaign during the show (i wasn't there, correct me if he did mention and promote it).

I know people are saying they can't play it because Bono can't play guitar. If they really wanted to include it for the message and to promote the campaign, they could at least do an acoustic version of One.

Please. Don't encourage them. It's been their worst live song for ages, let it rest.

Bring it back for the first time in ten years when they're on their final tour and it makes sense to give such an important track a final showcase (hell, maybe even as the nightly closer so Bono can really belt out whatever's left in the tank after two hours). But for now, for the love of God, let's let it go.

How many songs were rehearsed?

I read an article that they have 60 songs ready to go.....:der:

Around 42 were verified during the Vancouver rehearsals. However, it's quite likely that they could have rehearsed some more before arriving in Vancouver.

Not to mention that they can do plenty of acoustic rehearsals at home or without needing to be amped up and heard outside an arena.

Well... from what I saw on youtube:
The screens may be sometimes double edged sword for them. When they are pulled down, the band looks a bit trapped in the cage. It´s weird.

I´ve never seen Bono so cautious and passive. Dunno if it is age, Larry´s dad funeral, his injury, but he looked like with no energy. This is very weird for Bono.

Sunday didn´t worked for me in that rendition.

Single for No One wasn´t bad, but with piano it would be much better

Bullet was solid

End Of the World kicked ass

Miracle was terrible. it sounded like a random garage band that just started out, the song is just weak and the live show prooves it

Streets was ruined thanks to the inserted song in the beginning, that didn´t fit at all

Real Thing remix is awesome, but it lacked some energy

Iris with MOFO was a highlight

Wowy didn´t surprise, done in autopilote mode

You will not believe me, but Sweetest Thing was adorable. Great drum work by Larry.

Adam and especially Larry sounded great for the whole show.

But where the heck are Volcano, California, Soldier !!!???

^^ gotta love those that review it from a couch. I was there and most of your post is not the show I saw.

^^ gotta love those that review it from a couch. I was there and most of your post is not the show I saw.

Unfortunately fans feel they can base a review on a show by videos on YouTube,

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I can see that the cellphones were out in full force last night. Anyone at the show encounter any assholes with the selfie sticks in the GA area?

the Canadian crowd looked like from ice. For example during Out Of Control, they were just starring except twenty fans in front of the stage jumping.

I can see that the cellphones were out in full force last night. Anyone at the show encounter any assholes with the selfie sticks in the GA area?

I saw one person with a selfie stick on their phone but they weren't bad. I saw lots of people face away from the stage and get selfies when the members were close. Yea, lets turn our backs on the band when they walk close to you...

the Canadian crowd looked like from ice. For example during Out Of Control, they were just starring except twenty fans in front of the stage jumping.

Again, totally wrong. I have footage of the crowd going more bonkers than most during OOT. Stick to your bad analysis of the setlists, and not the shows.

Again, totally wrong. I have footage of the crowd going more bonkers than most during OOT. Stick to your bad analysis of the setlists, and not the shows.

show us...

BTW it is not analysis of a setlist

I didn´t comment on the setlist during the concert as it was underway like many people here did. I waited for a sound and video before writing a few impressions:)

Back
Top Bottom