The old, lazy, wealthy man's tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Americans generally have very low rates of travel outside of their country, which explains no passports. Canadian rates are much closer to those of Europeans.

You used to be able to cross the Canadian-US border by car in like 30 seconds by rolling down the window, the border guard would be like "everyone Canadian?" Yes. OK, go through. Now it can take hours.

You used to be able to cross the Canadian-US border by car in like 30 seconds by rolling down the window, the border guard would be like "everyone Canadian?" Yes. OK, go through. Now it can take hours.

When we drove up to Winnipeg for U2 last tour, the border guard asked me if I owned a gun. Not if I was carrying a gun or had one in the car, if I owned a gun. I thought that was weird.

What's nice about the US is that there's little need for international travel, other than wanting to take an international trip. Want warm weather in the winter? You've got California, Florida, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, USVI, etc. Want arctic tundra? Here's Alaska. Beautiful not too hot summers? Here's Maine.

Whenever I've gone on vacation over Christmas, often to Mexico, it seems like most of Canada is already there. Winter is bad enough where I live. I can't imagine what Winnipeg is like.

What's nice about the US is that there's little need for international travel, other than wanting to take an international trip. Want warm weather in the winter? You've got California, Florida, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, USVI, etc. Want arctic tundra? Here's Alaska. Beautiful not too hot summers? Here's Maine.

Absolutely. While my list of international "wish list" destinations grows, there are still loads of places in the US I want to visit!

I completely believe that there is a faction of non-travelers here who don't do so because "HURR DURR MURICA THE BEST DO NOT LEAVE," I would guess that the majority of non-travelers don't go overseas because a) cost and b) so much variety to see here, which is easier because see point A.

Geographically the USA would compare to Europe I guess, so many different climates around. Here if you want to avoid cold winters (though lately we haven't had many here, but in Scandinavia they suck ballz), people fly to the mediterrannean countries, south of France, Spain, much nicer there. Then again we're a winter sport kinda folk so people go to the Alps to ski more in winter holidays. :D

So it's not much different in distances moved, but we do need an ID/passport for our trips.

I didn't make it to California until i was 11. I didn't get to Californication until i was 19 or 20 though. New York came much later on for me - by the time i landed in NY i had already been to Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Japan, Korea, Germany, Ireland, and various other places. These days i rarely leave the land of red man. While my spirit years my body says "huh?" and reality and responsibility set in. Someday.

I'm old and lazy. The federal government considers me to be wealthy as well, while the city of New York considers me to be a pauper.

Honestly though... On Vertigo when I had considerably less expendable income than I do now and lived further away from any of the venues than I do now I went to 9 different shows. I was also 24.

Now I'm 34, can afford a lot more, live a 10 minute subway ride from MSG, and am debating whether or not I want to go to a third show.

I don't consider myself less of a fan... I just have, ya know, life and stuff to take care of.

I'm old and lazy. The federal government considers me to be wealthy as well, while the city of New York considers me to be a pauper.

Honestly though... On Vertigo when I had considerably less expendable income than I do now and lived further away from any of the venues than I do now I went to 9 different shows. I was also 24.

Now I'm 34, can afford a lot more, live a 10 minute subway ride from MSG, and am debating whether or not I want to go to a third show.

I don't consider myself less of a fan... I just have, ya know, life and stuff to take care of.

Its funny, I remember similar thoughts being expressed on Wire back in 1997 when U2 was sort of struggling to get fans to buy the album and go to the tour. That was 18 years ago. I suppose those fans that expressed that then must be Grandparents now. LOL

The height of my U2 concert attendance was the Elevation tour. I went to 5 shows total. 3 within a week on the first leg. 2 within a week on the second leg. I was 28 and probably 40 pounds lighter. I'd stand for the entire show. Now I try to make it to at least one show per leg/year. If they do stadiums next year, I'll probably go if they're in my area. I never did GA. I just buy the seats that are on the 2nd level or higher.

My first show was PoPMart in St Louis back in 97. We were young, dumb, broke, drunk, and crazier than a roadrunner chasing its tail. Went to 4 shows on the Elevation Tour, those were fucking great, all GA, met a lot of people and also Gwen :drool:

I was probably between jobs then if i recall. Vertigo tour only one show - Dallas.

360 went to 4 shows; Dallas, Norman, Nashville (pussy), & St Louis.

I would love to do the 4 show thing again, but like others have mentioned, i have more responsibilities now. I lost my Dad just over a year ago, and so making sure Mom is taken care of is the # 1 priority in my life. Mom is fine of course but i don't want to be more than a stones throw away from her. So going to one of these shows that isn't close is not really an option. Even though she would probably tell me to do it, im not going to.

And by some standards, including my own 15-20 years ago, im probably old, wealthy, & lazy. By others, including my own now, i don't have enough money and probably wish i were still 30 - but damn im happier than ever. Oh well. Life sucks until it's good. And the moment you think you have and know everything is probably the moment you realize its all starting to slip way. I guess this makes my previous post in this thread make a little bit more sense.

For each tour since Popmart I've attended an additional 3 shows.
So, for i + e, I should be seeing 15 shows to continue that trend line. I have tickets to 6 for this leg.

Old--Yes.
Lazy--No.
Wealthy--Not after 15 U2 concerts in 2 years. :shrug:

mmm well my U2 gig attendance has generally increased as I've got older

started with 2 shows in 1993, 1 each in 1997 and 2001 (when I was younger and definitely poorer), followed by 5 in 2005, followed by 11 across 2009/2010(older and did this through U2's low GA prices) and this year 9 shows (so far) across Europe....

that said if U2 charged Madonna style pricing across the board I wouldn't be going to that many...but cheap GA tickets, EasyJet and budget hotels make it affordable once every 5 years, and I'm young enough to be able to jump about for a couple of hours in GA

so in answer to the questions

old- getting older
lazy- no
wealthy- less so after this years concert schedule has finished

ZooTV - 1
PopMart - 1 (each of these sucked up my disposable income at the time)
Elevation - 0 (regrets, I've had a few)
Vertigo - 6 (making up for past regrets, exploring the luxury of some disposable income)
360 - 4 in 2009, 4 in 2011
Innocence/Experience - only 2 planned

Back
Top Bottom