The big uncomfortable question no one wants to ask

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RioRhodes

War Child
If The Sky Can Crack There Must Be Some Way Back t
How is the numbered system going to work when GAers who bought tickets later on had to buy them from someone, and will need that person to join them in line because of this paperless fiasco? How good are those in line going to be about this issue, because it's going to come up every day of every show?

I'm wondering for myself as well because I'm considering making a trip down to San Jose, and don't even have a ticket for Night 1 yet, and have a ticket for Night 2, but those selling it to me can't be there until 5 PM day of. (And I will be there much, much earlier.)

I wonder if the Gatekeepers Linekeepers have taken that into consideration, not giving out a number if there's going to be someone joining you later.

Maybe not - there's always horror tales of "put my friend on the list, they're coming 18 hours from now," but I would imagine they are well aware of the possible issue.

I guess you have to wait for the other person.
Here in Vancouver they were advacing that when you sing up to the list you do so with the partner. Other way you'll enter but then wait for the other person before getting inside for real.

I guess it all depends of the line rules of each show

I may not even do this trip now, knowing that I may get screwed and lose the spot I've stood in line all day for. If I could get hard tickets in hand and not have to depend on someone from Craigslist, it would be a no-brainer. Now I'm really thinking this through and wondering if it's worth the hassle and expenses at all.

You can't just not line up? You'd rather not go at all if it means being somewhere else on the floor than right up front?

I am a little worried about this. I've coordinated a GA ticket for a friend from someone over on U2.com (though I think they post here too :D) and it may very well be a case of "put my friend on the list, they're coming 18 hours from now".

Since I'm going to be in Chicago earlier than my friend, I'm planning on lining up with the ticket selling person (whenever they want to line up), and then my friend joining us later when she can get into town... of course, not 5 mins before the concert starts. But hopefully that will be "kosher" per the line rules. Maybe if I buy everyone pizza, they'll be ok with it?! I don't know what else to do!

First time GA'er, and I'm scarrreeed! :reject:

You can't just not line up? You'd rather not go at all if it means being somewhere else on the floor than right up front?

It's also about money. I just paid that GA ticket I did manage to get for twice its face value. Now I have to buy another GA ticket somehow when I get there, plus travel expenses, plus food, water, anything else I might need. I don't have an awful lot of money, and given how risk-laden this paperless ticket system is for me, this could really hurt my bank account in the long-run-- if I knew the risk was worth it, I'd take it. But I don't.

I'm also worried about the SJ line system, because from what I hear the venue gives numbered wristbands day-of, and allows fans to return later in the day. While that's awesome, it's also bad news if I want to buy a ticket, as fans will be coming and going. (Unless I stay all day and ask everyone coming in, which I very well may have to do.)

How is the numbered system going to work when GAers who bought tickets later on had to buy them from someone, and will need that person to join them in line because of this paperless fiasco? How good are those in line going to be about this issue, because it's going to come up every day of every show?

I'm wondering for myself as well because I'm considering making a trip down to San Jose, and don't even have a ticket for Night 1 yet, and have a ticket for Night 2, but those selling it to me can't be there until 5 PM day of. (And I will be there much, much earlier.)

Well, the ticket or the credit card you used to get your paperless ticket only matters when you are about to go through the turnstile. Anyone can get in the GA line and get a number and stand there, even if they don't have a ticket or don't even plan to go to the show, technically.

Well, the ticket or the credit card you used to get your paperless ticket only matters when you are about to go through the turnstile. Anyone can get in the GA line and get a number and stand there, even if they don't have a ticket or don't even plan to go to the show, technically.

I know, but say the next person in line from me that has a spare GA is 50 people down the line from me, do I have to move down 50 spots? That would be a nightmare.

I know, but say the next person in line from me that has a spare GA is 50 people down the line from me, do I have to move down 50 spots? That would be a nightmare.

I see, I think you should be able to pair up with your partner. I think most people will be, so the dozen are so that move up in the line should not piss people off too much, especially if it is done discreetly. Suddenly being a dozen more people back is not going to prevent anyone from getting what they want.

I see, I think you should be able to pair up with your partner. I think most people will be, so the dozen are so that move up in the line should not piss people off too much, especially if it is done discreetly. Suddenly being a dozen more people back is not going to prevent anyone from getting what they want.

Tell that to the people behind me in line. :reject: Won't go down that easy.

If this is your biggest issue, your life is going very well. So take comfort in that fellow fans. BUT I do agree that they fix one issue, they cause 100 more they don't think about. And GA is of course the highest turnover rate form original buyer to person actually going to show. I get why they think it's a good idea. But did it cut down on scalping? I'm more curious how the hell that is working.

You waiting for some guy named Paul to show up is one thing... but is there going to be many creepy guys letting in 100 people per show because he bought those tickets with that one credit card? That's the real insanity of it, isn't it?

I expect a lot of people might not get in due to paperless tickets that aren't crazy obsessed fans and just wanted to go to show and not thinking anything of it. Why would you if this is a new procedure for most.

But as a fan that likes GA, but doesn't wait in line or even try for the front, I haven't really experienced this pain. My small bladder affects this decision highly. I just want to enjoy the show. Sure I'd like to have the best spot, but I'd rather have a little worse spot because still being of the floor anywhere is a good spot to me. In fact, it's nice when you're in the back and no one is blocking your view. Being short, again this is a problem.

My point is good luck everybody. And hard tickets for life!

If this is your biggest issue, your life is going very well. So take comfort in that fellow fans. BUT I do agree that they fix one issue, they cause 100 more they don't think about. And GA is of course the highest turnover rate form original buyer to person actually going to show. I get why they think it's a good idea. But did it cut down on scalping? I'm more curious how the hell that is working.

You waiting for some guy named Paul to show up is one thing... but is there going to be many creepy guys letting in 100 people per show because he bought those tickets with that one credit card? That's the real insanity of it, isn't it?

I expect a lot of people might not get in due to paperless tickets that aren't crazy obsessed fans and just wanted to go to show and not thinking anything of it. Why would you if this is a new procedure for most.

But as a fan that likes GA, but doesn't wait in line or even try for the front, I haven't really experienced this pain. My small bladder affects this decision highly. I just want to enjoy the show. Sure I'd like to have the best spot, but I'd rather have a little worse spot because still being of the floor anywhere is a good spot to me. In fact, it's nice when you're in the back and no one is blocking your view. Being short, again this is a problem.

My point is good luck everybody. And hard tickets for life!

That's a reason rail is important to me. I'm only 5'5. I'm a little one. :down:

I guess you have to wait for the other person.
Here in Vancouver they were advacing that when you sing up to the list you do so with the partner. Other way you'll enter but then wait for the other person before getting inside for real.

I guess it all depends of the line rules of each show

Except for one itsy bitsy problem... the same problem that causes the majority of GA line issues in every tour...

The lines are run by fans.

Not the venue, not the band; fans.

The only thing the venue is concerned about is that the two people on the same card go in together. Some security guards will go by what the fans have said, some will allow all hell to break loose.

For the life of me, with all the money being spent putting these tours together, I just don't get why U2 won't hire staff to maintain the GA lines.

God knows they have plenty of staff working the VIP /sponsor pre-parties.

I actually think this may work the favor of those that don't want to wait. I plan on getting down to a few of the LA shows early and being flexible. Someone has an extra and is just lining up? I will wait with you. Someone gets there at 6pm? I'll go in with ya.

I'm waiting for GA fans angry they are "segregated" from one another in the forced "north/south" locations especially if they hung out in the lineup or even husbands/wives that got tickets from different places.

Past tours had fans bartering GA for different city GA or places to stay....

I'm waiting for GA fans angry they are "segregated" from one another in the forced "north/south" locations especially if they hung out in the lineup or even husbands/wives that got tickets from different places.

Past tours had fans bartering GA for different city GA or places to stay....

apologies as i haven't been entirely up to date on the details of the stage (or maybe i'm just being dense and not understanding what you're saying!) but what do you mean north/south locations?

apologies as i haven't been entirely up to date on the details of the stage (or maybe i'm just being dense and not understanding what you're saying!) but what do you mean north/south locations?

GA ticket say"north" and "south" on them. There's also Red Zone 1 and Red Zone 2.

North = RZ1 = Adam mainstage side
South = RZ2 = Edge mainstage side

It remains to be seen if this is militantly enforced. I think we know already that you can't alternate between sides mid show.

GA ticket say"north" and "south" on them. There's also Red Zone 1 and Red Zone 2.

It remains to be seen if this is militantly enforced. I think we know already that you can't alternate between sides mid show.

Thank you! :up: I'm looking online at my ticketmaster account and not seeing any details on the ticket aside from "u2.com subscriber presale section GA"?

I get the annoyance with the person you bought the ticket from needing to be there, but the current stage set up is literally made so you can get pretty damn close to any part of it, be it the main stage, b-stage or catwalk. Just looking at the grid, you're probably not going to be all that far back from the action if you end up getting in after a few hundred people.

Thank you! :up: I'm looking online at my ticketmaster account and not seeing any details on the ticket aside from "u2.com subscriber presale section GA"?

yeah, how it works is after you've been scanned in with credit card, you'll be assigned a wristband of one of two colours, which will allow you entrance to the North or South side ONLY (we think). If there is space in both North and South when you get there, you'll likely get to choose. If one is full then you won't get to choose.

I think they would have to be flexible on this. Maybe have wristbands of both colors there to give parties entering together the same color. It would make no sense to break up parties entering together. That would be a mess!

That appears to only be for Vancouver. My LA GAs say nothing about North or South, so we would get to choose which side to go to.

I get the annoyance with the person you bought the ticket from needing to be there, but the current stage set up is literally made so you can get pretty damn close to any part of it, be it the main stage, b-stage or catwalk. Just looking at the grid, you're probably not going to be all that far back from the action if you end up getting in after a few hundred people.

Sort of makes me wonder how many times someone purchased a ticket from a friend or a buddy or the Craiglist not even realizing the credit card entry requirement. Potentially some upset buyers and broken hearts too.

Back
Top Bottom