** SPOILERS** The soundcheck thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder at what point in the rehearsals the decision was made to largely stick to 1 setlist. It could account for the many songs rehearsed that haven't been played.

I wonder at what point in the rehearsals the decision was made to largely stick to 1 setlist. It could account for the many songs rehearsed that haven't been played.
I'm guessing that they wanted a show that opened with The Miracle and closed with SFS for Innocence. Then a show opening with Invisible and closing with maybe something like The Troubles on Experience night. (I'm basing that off some pre-tour comments they made) I think they probably had trouble finding enough balance to play enough SOI material on both nights and that's why it fell apart.
Also, the Innocence part of the show is clearly the centerpiece. Everything after that is a greatest hits with 2-3 new songs sprinkled in. Which could have possibly caused a setlist that had one night with early material and new material. Then another night of just greatest hits. It would suck to go to a show full of greatest hits and no deep, early tracks and less new tracks. They tried to find a middle ground and disbanded it, probably for the good.
I'm also guessing that they maybe had a bigger e stage inclusion. Which leads to another point. Wtf has Tryin To Throw You Arms not been on the estage?!?? Heck, that was basically the original b-stage/recording video, etc. song! It's so weird that it hasn't been played since ZOOTV, it's a very easy song to play and easy to stick in the setlist. If they can bring back Sweetest Thing, Stay, etc., why can't they bring back Tryin To Throw Your Arms?!?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

What else did they rehearse in Toronto? I tried to go and listen but they must've been done when I was there...

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Night 1, a lot of The Fly.
Night 2, Crystal Ballroom a lot. They were going to play it until Edge's guitars crapped out on the estage. I actually talked to Dallas after the show (and got a guitar pick, neat), and he wasn't too pleased about the technical difficulties.

I also heard them working on The Miracle as well as Vertigo and some of Raised by Wolves.

If anybody knows any soundcheck details that are not listed in the soundcheck field of each show's listing on U2gigs, just let me know and I'll add them.

Cool. Well, you can add The Fly for Toronto 1.

As for what it sounded like, it sounded like 360° version, just without Bono playing guitar. Didn't sound like Elevation, and didn't sound like Vertigo, probably because of the guitar being used. Obviously, I wasn't in the arena properly so I couldn't tell you what guitar was being used.

As for what it sounded like, it sounded like 360° version, just without Bono playing guitar. Didn't sound like Elevation, and didn't sound like Vertigo, probably because of the guitar being used. Obviously, I wasn't in the arena properly so I couldn't tell you what guitar was being used.

This maybe be a question you can't answer, but do you have any idea if they were performing it on the e-stage and if so, was it in the same spot as MW or Real Thing? Or in one of the rotating spots?

Great, thanks, I've added it. :up:

I also heard them working on The Miracle as well as Vertigo and some of Raised by Wolves.

Which night was this, or was this across both? I can add them to the show listings too.

I'm guessing that they wanted a show that opened with The Miracle and closed with SFS for Innocence. Then a show opening with Invisible and closing with maybe something like The Troubles on Experience night. (I'm basing that off some pre-tour comments they made) I think they probably had trouble finding enough balance to play enough SOI material on both nights and that's why it fell apart.
Also, the Innocence part of the show is clearly the centerpiece. Everything after that is a greatest hits with 2-3 new songs sprinkled in. Which could have possibly caused a setlist that had one night with early material and new material. Then another night of just greatest hits. It would suck to go to a show full of greatest hits and no deep, early tracks and less new tracks. They tried to find a middle ground and disbanded it, probably for the good.

Probably as good an explanation as any.

Hmm tweet from Steve lillywhite suggesting a nice surprise tonight as he was at sound check?

haha

Get On Your Boots
Stand Up Comedy
Elvis Ate America

all played in the screen with nothing on it.

I bet it's a song he produced

wild horses is my gut feeling considering a girl made it on instagram with that song as her choice. been waiting for one of those to cross over

could be an early 80s song too

was listening to Achtung Baby at work yesterday and thinking it's about time Wild Horses came back :drool:

If I ever got on stage to play guitar, that would be the song I would request. It's not the rarest gem, but it's a perfect fit for the E stage right now.

If it's a song he produced, place your bets!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Song_recordings_produced_by_Steve_Lillywhite

All Because of You
Breathe
An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart
A Celebration
A Day Without Me
Fire
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Magnificent
New Year's Day
No Line on the Horizon
Original of the Species
Red Hill Mining Town
Two Hearts Beat as One
Unknown Caller
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

I'm betting on NYD or Two Hearts. Wild Horses would be great.

If I ever got on stage to play guitar, that would be the song I would request. It's not the rarest gem, but it's a perfect fit for the E stage right now.

yep. it's a very good fit for the e-stage and would easily be my first choice.

there's of course like, drowning man or more from boy/october but I kinda doubt those for now

Wild Horses was great with the fan onstage in Hawaii playing piano. would take that again.

As much as I'd like folks to enjoy a surprise tonight, I really hope there are surprises tomorrow night. (Shifty grin)

Wow, Edge trying out Bullet for this tour. Astonishing! ;)

Not sure where Zooropa would fit in the set. NYD probably in the 2nd slot on a rotational basis.

Wow, Edge trying out Bullet for this tour. Astonishing! ;)

Not sure where Zooropa would fit in the set. NYD probably in the 2nd slot on a rotational basis.

I think Zooropa would fit well where invisible is played. Zooropa was never played in Europe on 360, and it's more "European friendly", if that makes any sense.

It should be a law that October must go into NYD.

The soundcheck thread

It should be Zooropa > Invisible > EBTTRT and so on. And yes, October going into NYD would be amazing.

come onnnnnnnn!!!!!! :drool: if they actually bring Zooropa back for Europe, I'll go absolutely nuts - was thinking earlier it's such an unrealistic dream that they'll bring it back after seeing the setlists for the US leg. But jesus christ, I'll die happy if i get to hear it live. Even if it means sacrificing Invisible, I'm sorry to say though I really want to hear that too. perhaps they'll rotate them in which case, great, worth the three tickets. :wink:

New Years Day too, though. sweet!

Last edited:
So happy to see his thread alive again :applaud:

Glad to see they're giving October another shot. I also agree that Zooropa should be performed inside the screen. It's a very visual song. Thing is, I doubt they'll drop Invisible or EBTTRT (the latter since it wasn't player in Europe apart from Glasto)

Back
Top Bottom