*Spoilers* Rehearsals Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spanish Eyes has always felt unfinished to me and it's one of Bono's worst vocals of the period.

But I feel weird bashing the song when it's honestly the direction I'd like to see U2 go at this stage in their career. It's disappointing that so little TUF/JT material is in the mix this time, as Nick has mentioned on a number of occasions.

I thought you of all people would be all over Spanish Eyes for that wonderful guitar. It has fit perfectly in numerous jangle pop playlists of mine. It may not be pure jangle but it complements a lot of stuff.

So far it seems the band has rehearsed:

Bullet the Blue Sky
The Hands That Built America
Pride
Even Better Than the Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
The Miracle - possibly with a piano intro

I thought you of all people would be all over Spanish Eyes for that wonderful guitar. It has fit perfectly in numerous jangle pop playlists of mine. It may not be pure jangle but it complements a lot of stuff.

I adore the guitar tone. Like I said, that's the sound I want U2 to get back to in their advanced age. But I think the arrangement of Spanish Eyes hits a few dead ends along the way.

Last edited:
I thought the entire band would be returning to Dublin for the funeral. When would the funeral be then?

I thought the entire band would be returning to Dublin for the funeral. When would the funeral be then?

Yeah I'm a bit surprised by this. Even with a private plane, is there time to jet out after rehearsals tonight, get there, attend the funeral, and return in time for showtime? And, if so, won't they be knackered? I figured today's proceedings would be canned.

Anyway, update to the rehearsals:

Bullet the Blue Sky
The Hands That Built America
Pride
Even Better Than the Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
The Miracle - possibly with a piano intro
Iris

I hope there won't be a "film soundtrack songs" section in the setlist. :sad:

They should ditch Hands and OL for The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

If they want to play Oscar/Golden Globe nominated songs, they should stick to Stay and HMTMKMKM...

Or they could do a Winter-Hands-Ordinary Love encore so we can beat the traffic.

Has anybody seen anything about rehearsals since Iris? It's a bit hard for me to keep track of everything during the workday... apparently I have a job to do. What silliness! I should've quit to start the Melbourne GA queue already. There may not even be an Australian leg rumoured yet, but it's never too early to start the queue! Cobbler gets a -1 rather than a +1.

Nope. I think they stopped.

It's possible this was an early rehearsal with the dress rehearsal to follow after a dinner break. I'm still surprised rehearsals are even happening, though.

Suppose this is an opportune moment to duck out for lunch here!

Pfft.. I've been camping outside Rod Laver Arena since December 2010.. amateurs :shifty:
7 stadium shows in Melbs after 7 arena shows on Lovetown alone, time for arenas again :pray:

It's possible this was an early rehearsal with the dress rehearsal to follow after a dinner break. I'm still surprised rehearsals are even happening, though.

Suppose this is an opportune moment to duck out for lunch here!

That makes far too much sense. Stop it.

It's what....almost 8pm in Vancouver. Surely news will show up one way or the other soon? :nerd:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

I wonder how they are rehearsing, since Larry would have to be on his way by now.

There were news articles out of Ireland earlier today that said the entire band was going over for the funeral and returning thursday before the show. It's a 10 hour flight I believe so you got me on this one.

If they left tonight after the show, say 12:00am flight.

10 hour flight to Dublin lands Wednesday at 10am Vancouver time, 6pm Dublin (late funeral!)

12 hours on the ground for funeral etc, flight leaves 10pm Wednesday Vancouver time, 6am Thursday Dublin time.

10 hour flight back arrives Thursday 8am.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Dublin is 8 hours ahead of Vancouver. It takes 12 hours to fly from Dublin to Vancouver.

If the band were to leave at 8am Thursday morning Dublin, they would arrive at 4pm Vancouver time. I assume little naps can be taken on the plane. Take a few hours to eat dinner, relax a little bit, then go onstage and perform for 2.5 hours, then back to the hotel to PASS THE FUCK OUT!

I suppose it can be done, I'm just glad I don't have to do that!

Haha Mr. Smee we were thinking the same thing at the same time!

There were news articles out of Ireland earlier today that said the entire band was going over for the funeral and returning thursday before the show. It's a 10 hour flight I believe so you got me on this one.

Yeah and they are flying backwards as far as time zones go. Keep that in mind. They can bury Mullen Sr at 10am in Dublin, board a plane, and still arrive in Vancouver in mid afternoon. The techs will likely set up and run soundcheck, especially given that the band has done plenty of rehearsing in Rogers as well as the time spent at Pacific. Hate to say it, but the band will be doing a runner after the service. I doubt they'll be sticking around to eat and visit with the relatives while trading stories and reminiscing.

If they werent 100% okay with it, it wouldn't be happening. Rather than disect it to death, let's lift this band up and support them the way they have been there for us during our worst moments. Bono's da died and he was on stage hours later. The crowd CARRIED him even when he couldnt sing or when he wailed his outright grief on the stage. I expect nothing less for Larry. He formed this band and we owe him the honor of lifting him through this since he obviously wants to perform and go about his "routine". If that is how he chooses to grieve, I fully support him.

/endrant

Sorry, I just think that we need to come together as a fanbase and not bicker endlessly. I'll go back to PLEBA now. :reject:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Dublin is 8 hours ahead of Vancouver. It takes 12 hours to fly from Dublin to Vancouver.

If the band were to leave at 8am Thursday morning Dublin, they would arrive at 4pm Vancouver time. I assume little naps can be taken on the plane. Take a few hours to eat dinner, relax a little bit, then go onstage and perform for 2.5 hours, then back to the hotel to PASS THE FUCK OUT!

I suppose it can be done, I'm just glad I don't have to do that!

I heard it was 10 hours - remembering it would be direct in a private jet

I heard it was 10 hours - remembering it would be direct in a private jet

Oh yeah! I just googled flight time Vancouver to Dublin, but I'm sure that doesn't figure the private jet, direct flight option! It's doable, I'm just surprised they didn't cancel tonight's rehearsal and just go ahead and head to Dublin today. They're really gonna have a clusterfuck of a few days, starting today and ending Friday after the 2nd show!

Oh yeah! I just googled flight time Vancouver to Dublin, but I'm sure that doesn't figure the private jet, direct flight option! It's doable, I'm just surprised they didn't cancel tonight's rehearsal and just go ahead and head to Dublin today. They're really gonna have a clusterfuck of a few days, starting today and ending Friday after the 2nd show!

I think they are really trying to keep their commitments - the private jet won't exactly be slumming it - they will be comfortable, and they would be pretty experienced flyers.

Logistically though, as long as they line up their flight in/flight out times, they need 20 hours max in the air, and 4 hours min on the ground. They could leave after lunch tomorrow and technically still make it.

Pfft.. I've been camping outside Rod Laver Arena since December 2010.. amateurs :shifty:
7 stadium shows in Melbs after 7 arena shows on Lovetown alone, time for arenas again :pray:

Joke's on you - I've got an inside tip the next tour will be a run of dates at the Northcote Social Club and I just started the queue.

I think they are really trying to keep their commitments - the private jet won't exactly be slumming it - they will be comfortable, and they would be pretty experienced flyers.

A good point. This is the band that, for tax purposes, has made sure to get the hell out of gigs and jump on a plane before midnight to spend the evening in Mexico/Canada when playing US shows close to either border. They're very experienced flyers and I'm sure they can get a plane more comfortable than the average hotel room!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom