Seeking information on Vancouver Tix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wamadeus

Babyface
Longtime fan, first-time poster hoping to get some advice/information. If I can leave the forum with my head still attached, all the better. While I appreciate the near-total information embargo from a "big reveal" perspective, it makes it tough for those of us needing information for logistical reasons.

I took my oldest daughter to 3 U2 concerts and the last two were overnight GA's (including the brutal Portland ice storm in 2005). Thursday, I am taking my 9-year old to the Vancouver concert. I don't think she is quite ready for the true GA experience (especially if it rains). Instead, we have aisle seats about halfway up section 307. I guess my questions are as follows:

1) Does anyone know if these are decent seats? Especially from a height-from-ground perspective? I'm hoping someone who has been in the venue can tell me that.

2) With ticket prices plummeting, there are a ton of GA's out there for about the same price as these. I know she would love GA if it was a doable experience. With the reports of the first campers already there, how early would you say I need to be to be there in order to be at the rail? I'm fine just about anywhere in GA (especially since my wife and I have Toronto RZ's), but I don't think she can see over anyone and needs some rail/stage spot. However, I think Thursday morning is the earliest we can get there and still have her upright by the end of the concert.

Many thanks for any assistance.

p.s. PLEASE do not respond with a scree against the morality of ticket resellers. I'd buy the GA's from a fan at face value in a heartbeat if I could find them, but my concern is to ensure a good experience for my daughter, not reform the economy. Sorry if you find that reprehensible.

Don't bother with a railspot, the arena floor is tiny so every spot in the house is a great spot. With a kid I'd hang back or do soundboard, or indeed seats.

I'm in Vancouver, N° 13 in line (we have 2 check in times to continue to be on the list, the rest of the time we can do whatever we want)

The REAL line (like, staying all the time) starts on Thursday at 5 am

Galeongirl is right, the arena floor is small, so anywhere in GA should have good views. Though maybe not good views for a short 9 year old.

There is information out there, about the stage setup. I'm not sure if you've seen an accurate diagram of the stage layout, or whether you're trying to remain SPOILER-free with regards to the stage. If you'd like more info about the stage, do a google image search for "u2 san jose seating chart". This map is accurate (though the RZ's may have moved). Check the 'Stage Layout' forum threads, & also read below;

SPOILERS: stage layout.
There is tonnes of rail for this tour. Most of it is along a central catwalk, which connects the two stages, the 'I' & the 'e'. Unfortunately this catwalk rail offers no views of the stages for a short person. Also being beside the catwalk will mean missing many of the visuals on the central LED screen. There may be good views from the rail of the 'e' stage, but this is not known yet. If this is the case, then this rail may be in high demand. It looks like the soundboard is in the stands, so no soundboard party on the floor :( The LED screen is massive & centrally located, so even if a short person can't see the band well, they should be able to see the visuals on the screen (unless they are near the catwalk rail).

So I'd probaby not recommend GA for a 9 year old, if they were keen to see a lot of the band. Or if they are keen for GA, I'd probably hang back. Maybe hang back at centre-ice, just in front of RZ (looks like RZ has moved from it's original location). You may be lucky & get the rail separating RZ. This won't help with views, it will be behind you, but could offer support to a child.

As for seats. Looking at the San Jose map you see a large (rectangular) I-stage, & a smaller (circular) e-stage, connected by a central catwalk. The RZ's were located by the e-stage. Using any of the maps for other venues supplied by Ticketmaster, the RZ's correspond to the e-stage.

So for Vancouver, 302 is at the opposite end to the RZ's, so it is also at the opposite end to the e-stage. Thus it's somewhat behind the I-stage, with a limited view of the screen. I'm guessing that unfortunately these won't be great seats. The best seats are on the sides of the arena, as they'll have good views of both stages, & the screen, but they are very expensive. If I had to choose seats at an end, I'd probably pick seats near the e-stage. I'd also aim for seats in the corners, rather than the far ends. Seats at the very ends will have no view of the LED screen, & the screen may actually obstruct the view of the band when they are performing on the stage at the other end of the arena.

This is somewhat guess work. Though as you're going to Vancouver I suppose an educated guess will have to do.

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy the show, whatever you decide.

I'm taking a 14 yr old and a 12 yr old on the floor. One each night. We are going down to the floor after 7ish and we'll hang around the hockey boards from the center ice area back towards the e stage away from the crowd. I fully expect the 12 yr old's view to be difficult, but the screen will help no doubt.
I won't line them up at any point before the door open. They need to be well fed and rested in case there isn't anything to lean on. The plan is to have some space to dance our asses off. Hopefully, I embarrass them with my involuntary self lip-biting awkward dance kicks. :D
If you do decide to go down to the floor with a young one, keep in mind what could happen. Accidental bumping into from over-excited folks and such. Also, your child just may request a bathroom break at the worst time for you. And if you're on a rail and packed in, don't expect to get back to that spot (unless you're in RZ maybe). That would be a waste to line up all day for a rail spot that you have to give up for the bathroom.
I'm not suggesting to stay away from the floor at all. Just make it as stress free as possible and have fun.

I'm in Vancouver, N° 13 in line (we have 2 check in times to continue to be on the list, the rest of the time we can do whatever we want)

The REAL line (like, staying all the time) starts on Thursday at 5 am

bloody hell...

Thanks everyone for the input and advice. I think since this is her first real concert, I'm going with the 100% chance of good of reserved seats rather than the 50% chance of awesome, 50% chance of therapy-requiring of the queue. The Portland GA is still something my oldest and I refer back to (although, to be honest, a large part of that is because Bono pulled her onstage for SBS and not because of quality time with dad - let's be real). However, 9 is not 12. Also, if anyone finds 4 red zone tix for either show on the ground and needs 2 more people to fill out their group...

Back
Top Bottom