Opening act?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If Interpol opens again, maybe Time or National Geographic could sponsor the tour. They could put up some magazine stands outside the GA pit.

I like Interpol... They also seem re-energized this tour. I wouldn't mind. :)

However, they are already booked with their tour May through mid-June and then have dates the second half of July (those actually clash a lot with U2's NE dates), so not likely for N. America at least.

the only support band I really loved at a U2 gig was The Killers in 2005. had seen them a week earlier at glastonbury and after the U2 slot was pretty much sold and went and got the album. sadly, Starsailor were on before them :wink:

Interpol opening for Pittsburgh 360 was a non event. They and Florence don't know how to fill a stadium w/ their presence. A year later, I paid to see Florence and she was terrific! Neither are stadium acts, don't know if they ever will be.

1865651196_8e7593ff9f_z.jpg

Alright, if you guys hate Interpol, I'll push for Pixies, another of Bono's favorite. :hyper:

Yes. My first U2 show they opened and were great. They could fit 20 songs in a 45 minute time slot.

Saw them in Atlanta on the last tour and they played 42 songs in just under 2 hours.

Alright, if you guys hate Interpol, I'll push for Pixies, another of Bono's favorite. :hyper:

It's not necessarily hate, more complete utter boredom. Had them in both Brussels shows in 2010 and all Canadian shows in 2011, by the time we had them open in Toronto I simply just fell asleep. And people found it far more interesting to take pictures of me asleep than listen to Interpol play.

After five shows I still cannot tell you how many (or little) songs they played. It all sounded like one big dragged out song of the Grace variety.

Kanye West is going to open all shows.

Unfortunately he will storm the stage so often, urging U2 to let the audience enjoy some real artists, that the band will only be able to finish 3 songs on the entire tour.
When U2 plead him to stop his antics he tries to fire them.

Interpol opening for Pittsburgh 360 was a non event. They and Florence don't know how to fill a stadium w/ their presence. A year later, I paid to see Florence and she was terrific! Neither are stadium acts, don't know if they ever will be.

I dunno, I was in the middle of this massive crowd and thought Florence did a great job:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZsbTthDHI4

It's not a stadium as such, but there was more than an arena's worth of people on that side of the field. It felt like 30k.

It will ultimately be some not-so-great mainstream rock act. U2 won't feel upstaged like they possibly could if Pearl Jam or Metallica opened, for example.

Nor can U2 have some great indie act open as a lot of them would pass up the opportunity, either not wanting to play arenas for a pittance or being a big of enough draw themselves to not need to piggyback off U2 to get a large crowd.

So, a group like Kings of Leon before they were famous tends to be the sort of stuff that U2 will get...The Fray was a proposed opener on the last tour, for example.

I'm still holding out for no opening act.

Seems strange that they haven't announced anyone as of yet. Can't remember if this was a common thing on previous tours or not

It would be great if they simply aired some weirdo modern Zoo TV-type footage on the big screens...the crowd could watch that if they're bored and U2 would still hit the stage at their normal time (maybe a little earlier).

Odds are that most people would get a kick out of something amusing to that degree than to watch some band whose sound is improperly set up for an arena plow through tunes for 45 minutes...the mix is usually terrible for those openers.

It would be great if they simply aired some weirdo modern Zoo TV-type footage on the big screens...the crowd could watch that if they're bored and U2 would still hit the stage at their normal time (maybe a little earlier).

Odds are that most people would get a kick out of something amusing to that degree than to watch some band whose sound is improperly set up for an arena plow through tunes for 45 minutes...the mix is usually terrible for those openers.

why on earth would they play a video and go on at the time they would go on if there was an opener? if there's no opener, they'd go on earlier and either play longer, or more likely, end earlier so Larry can get his beauty sleep.

Maybe an entire acoustic set as an opener. Then they come out and play a full concert.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Interpol in Pittsburgh was a joke. Hubby and I used that as a chance to go get snacks and hit the loo since we were up in the nosebleeds. Florence opened our E Lansing show and it was good, but you could tell it wasnt a set meant for a stadium. I'd love to go see her on an arena tour.

That said, my pick for openers is def Dalton Bros. I'd pay extra for that, especially if it means Adam reprising his role as Betty. :lmao:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

So Brandon Flowers just announced his solo album release for May 18 - kinda good timing to be an opener, and the only Killers show commitment during the N. American leg is Firefly, which doesn't conflict with U2 dates.

Back
Top Bottom