Opening act?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd like to avoid being induced into a coma before a U2 show, thanks!

(My daughter loves your idea, tho..zzzzzzzzz)

Sent from my ass crack

:angry:

:wink:

Maybe you should just give your U2 tickets to your daughter, and her and I can rock out (albeit in a folksy manner)!

But I could see it working.

I'd be thrilled with any of those.

But would fall over dead of shock if they actually went with any of them. (Maybe Metric would be logical, although are they still active? An album planned for next year?)

Somehow I expect that U2's openers will be whoever their label most wants to promote, rather than the band that's the best fit. Obviously there have been occasions where the members of U2 have got an opener they're passionate about, but even then I think it's normally been somebody on their label.

I'd be thrilled with any of those.

But would fall over dead of shock if they actually went with any of them. (Maybe Metric would be logical, although are they still active? An album planned for next year?)

Metric would totally be great. If we're keeping in the Canadian bands theme, which apparently we are. Their last album was 2012, not sure when they're due for another.

Coldplay, Garbage, and Muse have albums slated to be released late spring, early summer so they are potentials

Coldplay opening for U2? ummm.....maybe a decade+ ago. Now Coldplay sells out an arena on their own with their own stage set up. Same with Muse. I don't see Garbage opening for U2 on an area tour but I would enjoy that.

I remember Dashboard Confessional opened up on the Veritgo tour and that was fucking awful. I can't even remember who opened for the first leg of Toronto shows on 360

Longpigs were a great band. Richard Hawley was on guitar, one of the best guitarists around these days...just saying.

Just some random names to throw out there.....
Spoon, Phoenix, Bleachers, Brandon Flowers, Modest Mouse, One Republic, Keane.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

it would be a nice touch if they had different openers in each city, with a local flavor... a relatively unknown or up and coming local artist.

This :up: I've always imagined how it could skyrocket the careers of young artists.

It would be nice to get the U2 crowd introduced to as many different artists as possible.
I'd love to see them do that. They could even afford to schedule them before another act.

This :up: I've always imagined how it could skyrocket the careers of young artists.

It would be nice to get the U2 crowd introduced to as many different artists as possible.
I'd love to see them do that. They could even afford to schedule them before another act.

For Vertigo they had Soundtrack of our lives to open in Sweden, which is a swedish band.

Nah they couldn't have 2 openers... Shows in MSG start at 8pm with an 1130 curfew. Cutting it close as it is

But having one opener who's a young local act would be great.

Zoo TV 1992 ... I honestly do not remember. Public Enemy, maybe? That show is a blur.

PopMart 1997 ... um. They had a dude playing On Wisconsin as a flugelhorn solo. They were really shitty, and I am blanking on their name.

Vertigo ... Kings of Leon ( I didn't hate them like others did), Damien Marley (fun, but only because I was finally in the ellipse), Keane (loved them), Kanye West (was happy to get to see him)

360 ... Snow Patrol (yay, I like them), Black Eyed Peas (LOL), Lenny Kravitz (liked him a lot more than I thought I would), Interpol (I only saw about 20 minutes of their set, however), Reeve Carney's band (exactly), and Arcade Fire (one of the reasons I schlepped to Moncton)

I would not be surprised if they had someone big and bland like Imagine Dragons or Bastille.

Hozier is great in concert, I can attest. Lykke Li was ... kind of awkward, but I love her music. My absolute top wish list would be Elbow, but it's not going to happen in the US.

Actually, Elbow is about the same as Noel Gallagher, too big to open in Europe but playing only 1-2,000 person venues in the US, so I actually COULD see them opening for U2 here. Conversely, Imagine Dragons are too big here to open for U2 in arenas, but I could see them opening for U2 in Europe.

I think Muse opened for U2 because on their first go-round as opener their new album had just come out and they were road-testing their new songs before going on their own tour. On their second go-round in South America it was to reach an audience they needed to build and that would have been a little expensive and risky to try to tour on their own.

I agree with others - arena tours are a different animal than a stadium tour, you are not going to get any bands who can sell out arenas on their own (in the areas where they open), unless they have a specific purpose for opening or if it is a one-off just because.

Longpigs were dreadful! PopMart openers were overall not so good, and it would be good to see a "Where Are They Now?" on the Fun Lovin' Criminals, lol.

I had the best idea ever at work today! Dallas Green/City and Colour. :drool:
he's amazing but no. Too slow and mellow for an opening act.

U2 could get whomever they want, but they lack the taste or vision to even know about the countless indie acts that would make a great opener...hence why we get crap like The Fray or Kings of Leon opening up for them. Interpol was at least a fine choice even if they were already a decade removed from their prime.
Interpol absolutely sucked and turned me, who was a fan, into pretty much a non fan. One of the worst opening acts I've ever seen. Maybe THE worst.

Airborne toxic event
Fuck yeah!

30 Seconds to Mars for some dates, then Brandon Flowers supporting his second solo album
I'd be all for that! Either one.

Nah they couldn't have 2 openers... Shows in MSG start at 8pm with an 1130 curfew. Cutting it close as it is

But having one opener who's a young local act would be great.
They had two openers in Athens on the 360 tour. Local band then Snow Patrol.

My first choice for Montreal though is still MOIST. they're Canadian, based in Montreal, iconic band from the 90s and people will recognize a handful of their songs, they just put out a great new album, they still kick tons of ass live and David usher can speak both French and English so....

Any band with a name as terrible as Moist is automatically disqualified, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom