Opening act?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ha! Fun Lovin Criminals opened at POPMART in NJ. Another band also opened for FLC, I think they were called Longpigs. Should have been called Pigshit. I saw the show in Miami too, Smash Mouth opened. Back in those days I pretty much only listened to U2 and a small handful of other bands, so anyone that opened was just annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

On the vertigo tour i did 3 gigs.I had snow patrol and the bravery in manchester , doves and athlete in london. I also had interpol and black rebel motorcycle club in glasgow. Good mix really,i didnt see the same band twice. Doves were good and snow patrol were ok. I cant remember anything else about the support acts

I also did 3 gigs on the 360 tour in dublin i had the kaiser cheifs and republic of loose. In london and cardiff i got glasvegas and the hours. The two at croke were good warm up acts. I cant remember anything about the hours(who are they?)but glasvegas were terrible.

Calling a band big and bland is ridiculous.

Interpol is bland. And I say that as fan. I don't really think a band like Bastille is bland even if I don't like their music, outside of a song or two.

The only good part about Interpol opening 360 was the ability to get my earplugs properly adjusted.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using U2 Interference mobile app

Ha! Fun Lovin Criminals opened at POPMART in NJ.

Ah yes. Thank you.

Calling a band big and bland is ridiculous.

To me, those bands sound kind of generic, like "this is the big radio friendly somewhat hip rock act that's big right now," and they just sound kind of nondescript and similar to me.

I find Bastille and Imagine Dragons very bland.

IN MY OPINION. /nsw

Right, but you're actually the dissenting opinion here, since they are big radio friendly hip rock acts. I'm not saying that means you have to like them, but it's probably in U2's best interest to get one of them. And it does feel dismissive, especially when the bands you point to sound nothing alike, they're just popular.

But I've been having this argument for years now, and it's just the same brick wall of a circular opinion based conversation, so I've said my piece, at this point.

Well, you know me, I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to music (and I'm usually right there with you putting up my dukes to defend pop music), but I don't really understand how me saying that "I think they are bland/generic/nondescript" is dismissive.

I wouldn't be thrilled if U2 has them open (just because I'm not a fan and I'd rather see someone I personally like), but I would not be surprised, because they are big and popular and would probably get a decent crowd response. (Like, as much as I didn't want to see Black Eyed Peas, they got the best response of all the openers, and I had to appreciate that.)

But, you are reading it how you are reading it, and I'm saying it how I'm saying it, and we can't change that, so that's where it is, and that's where we are, and you know I dig what you're putting down. :)

Ah, ignore me. I'm just being grumpy. Probably used to that at this point anyways, right? :wink:.

I guess I'll just never quite understand certain things about taste. Music is subjective as hell, of course. So I should probably stop getting so worked up about it, because it's not something one can figure out.

But you take a band like Hozier and you put their radio output next to Imagine Dragon's radio output and honestly, I can't tell the difference. But, for some reason Hozier's insanely popular in places like B&C and other Indie sites I frequent, but Imagine Dragons is bland and boring. Now, mind, I'm only talking about radio. Neither band have impressed me to a point that I'm willing to listen beyond those singles. From what Travis told me, Hozier's album itself is really great. That may be so, I'll probably never know because I'm occasionally randomly archaic and still base my opinions on the radio.

So...yeah, sorry for being momentarily shitty about this.

EDIT: Just saw your post, but I think this post addressed it well enough, or at least I hope it did.

I actually think Imagine Dragons would be too big in the US to open, unless they are really big U2 fans and want to. I could see them open in Europe where I imagine they aren't as big. They sold out the Forum in February of this year. Crazy.

I really am curious who will open. For the Foo Fighters show I'm going to it's Gary Clark Jr. :drool:

I actually think Imagine Dragons would be too big in the US to open, unless they are really big U2 fans and want to. I could see them open in Europe where I imagine they aren't as big. They sold out the Forum in February of this year. Crazy.

I really am curious who will open. For the Foo Fighters show I'm going to it's Gary Clark Jr. :drool:

Your probaly right about imagine dragons,i couldnt tell you one song of theirs

Having heard albums by Hozier, Bastille and Imagine Dragons, I can honestly say that Hozier has by far the most raw talent. Great vocalist and has some lyrical personality (borrowed somewhat from Marvin Gaye, Prince and Bono). His music all runs together though and would die in an arena.

Bastille is the very definition of big and bland. I couldn't describe their music beyond it being huge and nondescript. The lyrics are ambiguous to the point of being meaningless. I didn't like their album, but it was pretty easy to tune out after a while. Kind of like someone vacuuming in the background.

Imagine Dragons have no personality whatsoever because they're so desperate for radio success. Every song is completely different and appeals to a different aspect of the Millennial demographic. I find them to be the most offensive because their lyrics SUCK. Just totally incompetent crap. Please no Imagine Dragons.

That's a quick and dirty overview of those three acts. I'm 23 years old and ridiculously open-minded, but I really would rather U2 just play for three hours if this is the size/caliber of bands that we can expect.

See now, if I ever came to your place for dinner, I'd have to sit with LeMel on his side of this opinion table. And we'd sing Hozier songs loudly while you sang Bastille. :wink:

EDIT: Just saw your post, but I think this post addressed it well enough, or at least I hope it did.

Oh, totally. And it's funny - my reaction when you say Hozier and Imagine Dragons sound the same to you is "really????" so yeah, opinions and all. Funny things. :)

Do you think they're any bigger/smaller than Muse was when they opened for U2? Because I feel like that was right around the time of Muse being HUGE....

though that was a stadium tour, come to think of it, and I'm guessing slightly bigger openers were used for that reason.

Anyways, I don't know how I end up on these sides of conversations. I don't even want to see Imagine Dragons...ever. Holy shit.

U2 could get whomever they want, but they lack the taste or vision to even know about the countless indie acts that would make a great opener...hence why we get crap like The Fray or Kings of Leon opening up for them. Interpol was at least a fine choice even if they were already a decade removed from their prime.

Thanks to this discussion, I have Pompeii running through my head. Just the chorus, as that's the only part I know. :grumpy:

Oh, I wanted to add - it's funny, I like Interpol as well, but can easily see how some find them bland. I probably should have used "generic" in my initial statement re Bastille and ID.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I like Interpol a lot. I just feel they're very one-note. If you didn't like them before, they're likely never going to do anything to change your mind.

Do you think they're any bigger/smaller than Muse was when they opened for U2? Because I feel like that was right around the time of Muse being HUGE....

though that was a stadium tour, come to think of it, and I'm guessing slightly bigger openers were used for that reason.

Anyways, I don't know how I end up on these sides of conversations. I don't even want to see Imagine Dragons...ever. Holy shit.

Exactly. Most of the US openers on 360 could sell arenas, but not stadiums. On the arena tours it's a bit murky, No Doubt sold out arenas in 2001, but they were huge U2 fans, so yeah.

Kings of Leon were pretty unknown. I looked it up and prior to opening for U2 they played 2 nights at the Roxy. Playing arenas was a huge jump for them. So it can go both ways.

U2 could get whomever they want, but they lack the taste or vision to even know about the countless indie acts that would make a great opener...hence why we get crap like The Fray or Kings of Leon opening up for them. Interpol was at least a fine choice even if they were already a decade removed from their prime.

U2 don't know indie acts. That's why they had Arcade Fire open for them in 2005 and used Wake Up as their walk in music.

If you read or listen to interviews with them, you will find that they do listen to a lot of music, including indie artists. Their taste is quite eclectic.

My openers:
Bodeans...Was fine but sort of a Wisconsin thing...
Dashboard Confessional...I liked them...I thought Vindicated was a great song
Kings of Leon...2 shows....wanted to bring a chessboard so I had something to do for the second show.....just terrible
Black Eyed Peas...I was a bit snobbish going in but I was entertained....Good show..out of all the openers they were the ones that appeared most at ease with the claw.
Florence and the Machine....Passable....Amazing in parts...bland in others but worthwhile.
Interpol....uck....
The Fray...Appeared a bit rusty and overwhelmed in Denver, much better in SLC
snow patrol....Enjoyed both times.....nice show...great lead singer....

Back
Top Bottom