Only "true" fans are entitled to rail!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To clarify, I find people who sit in the ellipse to be really inconveniencing everyone else. I've been to shows where they spread out and take up half the space in the middle so that the rest of the people are squished against the periphery. Then when they stand up there is a mad rush to the front/stage area which is totally out of control and people tend to behave like animals. I've also been to one show where the idiot ticket scanners were turning people away because the area "looked full" when in fact it was half empty, thanks to the people sitting down, each of whom took up the space that 2-3 standing people would. They subsequently let more people in when it became obvious that the area was not full. I didn't understand how this happened in the first place as I thought they counted the number of wristbands, surely they should have seen they have dozens left in their hands.
I know the types you are talking about. the types who basically sprawl out, legs outstretched. I would agree that's not cool because they are taking up so much more space. I've never experienced the "mad rush" to the stage though when everyone stands up. I sit cross legged for the most part. I'd have a hard time believing someone like me is taking up too much space but I have seen others almost lying down. People just have to have a clue and be respectful. The guy who lays there with his legs out stretched and his head propped up with his arm should actually be stepped on.

For the record I WANT to have a spot on the rail wherever that may be. I'm "going to get one" because I think positively about it but I will never get a rail spot by being disrespectful or inconsiderate towards others. If I don't manage to get one so be it. I will though haha.

Actually when you are let in at 5:30pm-6:00pm you usually have another couple of hours to wait. I would rather have people sit and spread out, instead of jamming all together for another two hours before the show even starts. Everyone will cram enough during the show, no need to do it for hours before the show.

Actually when you are let in at 5:30pm-6:00pm you usually have another couple of hours to wait. I would rather have people sit and spread out, instead of jamming all together for another two hours before the show even starts. Everyone will cram enough during the show, no need to do it for hours before the show.

yep actually i've been to shows where everyone was standing and more and more people kept being crammed into the space, and it was a nightmare, ended up packed like sardines - you couldn't sit down if you tried, and still had hours to wait until the support came on - seen a few people faint, get taken out and actually miss the band - insane

GA really is an endurance test :lol:

Worse yet are the ones saying they want to SIT before the show (on the ground in the ellipse/heart/what have you). After having SAT outside on the ground for like 24+ hours. Really now.

oh man, i could never sit in a line for 24+ hours :ohmy: - one or two hours would be my max

The question is, what is a true fan - I bought my first U2 album in 1984 (31 years ago), went to my first first gig in 1987 aged 17 and the band have been the soundtrack to my life for over 30 years. Am I a true fan or am I inferior as I am past it for not being about to stand in line for hours on end before a gig to secure the rail?

Looking forward to taking my daughter aged 17 to her her first U2 gig this year and not worrying about who is at the rail and whether I qualify as a "true" fan

The question is, what is a true fan - I bought my first U2 album in 1984 (31 years ago), went to my first first gig in 1987 aged 17 and the band have been the soundtrack to my life for over 30 years. Am I a true fan or am I inferior as I am past it for not being about to stand in line for hours on end before a gig to secure the rail?

Looking forward to taking my daughter aged 17 to her her first U2 gig this year and not worrying about who is at the rail and whether I qualify as a "true" fan

Totally off-topic, but are you a red or a blue? :wink:

see now this is what i don't understand - those saying they NEED something to lean on or they won't cope - shouldn't they really just get a comfy seat if they're not physically up to it? i mean how do they cope with the crushes at the front and people around them really into it and jostling them?

I work outdoors for most of the year, at high elevation (up to 10,000 ft, 3,000m), where the air is thin, often walking uphill, balls deep in snow, while carrying a load. I may be getting on in years, but I'll tell you what, I'm a hell of a lot fitter than most people here.

Why would I like a rail? Other than the fact it helps with views (which is the primary reason - I'm short), it offers support, which is nice. Why do I want that? There's a few reasons.

Try spending a FULL day in line, often in hot temperatures, on concrete. Now spend a bit of time maybe jammed up close together while waiting to enter the venue (Rosebowl was like sheep in a pen being sent to slaughter). Run for the rail (if you're allowed). Spend an hour or so in the inner circle waiting, jump around to the opening act, spend some more time waiting. Then go crazy in a heaving mass of people while the band performs for a little over 2 hours. Get home, buzzed, unable to sleep. Now if you're lucky enough to do a couple of shows back to back (which I've done for both Sydney & Anaheim), then you get to wake up before the sun rises, return to the GA line & do it all over again (so worth it)! For Anaheim 2, I was slumped over the rail after Lenny Kravitz opened, just resting, when the people beside me checked I hadn't passed out (very nice of them).

Like Hallucination, I'm very energetic in GA (the rail actually helps you boost higher in Elevation). It's tiring!

It's not as bad in U2 shows now (although I have been involved in crowd surges in the past), but the rail can help with safety. I was a couple off the rail at Reading festival, when the crowd surged sideways, maybe 15-20m, some people having to be dragged back to their feet before being trampled. It can be dangerous in such a big crowd.

To clarify, I find people who sit in the ellipse to be really inconveniencing everyone else. I've been to shows where they spread out and take up half the space in the middle so that the rest of the people are squished against the periphery. Then when they stand up there is a mad rush to the front/stage area which is totally out of control and people tend to behave like animals. I've also been to one show where the idiot ticket scanners were turning people away because the area "looked full" when in fact it was half empty, thanks to the people sitting down, each of whom took up the space that 2-3 standing people would. They subsequently let more people in when it became obvious that the area was not full. I didn't understand how this happened in the first place as I thought they counted the number of wristbands, surely they should have seen they have dozens left in their hands.

Read my above post, if you want to know why I want to sit. GA can be an endurance test, & as Chrisedge says, once you're in there you still have a couple of hours to wait, so why be jammed up like sardines.

When I arrive at the floor, hopefully on a rail, I'll spread out (though not stopping others from getting rail spots). I'll sit down & spread out for a few minutes. Until the crowd has stopped moving. Now I'll fold my legs up, allowing those behind me extra room to sit down, if they have not already, as they'll no doubt want to sit at some stage.

If the inner circle is not filled to capacity (due to people spreading out), then once the opening act starts the crowd will move forward, allowing extra space for others to enter the pit. Security know the inner circle's capacity, & keeps track of the numbers that have entered. Only a moron wouldn't allow the pit to be filled to capacity once the show is underway. Why would you want to enter the inner circle early, making it more crowded, while still having to wait for a few more hours? If you're late to the party, isn't it more comfortable to wait at the turnstiles, & enter the inner circle once opening act has started?

For most people the whole rail thing isn't about being lazy, it's for the extra height boost. If you're 5 feet tall and in the middle of a crowd of people, you won't be able to see shit.

Read my above post, if you want to know why I want to sit. GA can be an endurance test, & as Chrisedge says, once you're in there you still have a couple of hours to wait, so why be jammed up like sardines.

When I arrive at the floor, hopefully on a rail, I'll spread out (though not stopping others from getting rail spots). I'll sit down & spread out for a few minutes. Until the crowd has stopped moving. Now I'll fold my legs up, allowing those behind me extra room to sit down, if they have not already, as they'll no doubt want to sit at some stage.

If the inner circle is not filled to capacity (due to people spreading out), then once the opening act starts the crowd will move forward, allowing extra space for others to enter the pit. Security know the inner circle's capacity, & keeps track of the numbers that have entered. Only a moron wouldn't allow the pit to be filled to capacity once the show is underway. Why would you want to enter the inner circle early, making it more crowded, while still having to wait for a few more hours? If you're late to the party, isn't it more comfortable to wait at the turnstiles, & enter the inner circle once opening act has started?

To me, that has always been the beauty of being inside the heart, circle, rail whatever it happens to be. Once you're in, you're close enough to see the sweat on their faces. That's close enough for me. I sit on the floor, relax and wait for the show. Sometimes I get up and go get a beer, sometimes I'll do this twice. And then I come back, sit down again and wait for the show. Again, this is the beauty of the "inner sanctum." You don't lose your spot if you get thirsty, have to urinate, or simply want to walk around a bit.

ps- rail is overrated - i got a spot right on the very front rail on 360 after arriving at the venue late afternoon, getting thru the gates quickly and SPRINTING the length of the footie pitch, but i seriously could hardly see a thing as the stage was so high and had neck ache afterwards for a week :lol:
I'm sorry, but if you arrived in the late afternoon & aimed for a front rail spot in the inner circle there's NO WAY you would have gotten a great spot. You would have been WAY off to the side, near the bridges. No doubt you weren't impressed with the views from here. If you were on Adam's side I doubt you even saw Edge while he was performing on the main stage, or vice versa if you were on Edge's side. No way you'd have views of Larry either.
inner-circle.jpg

Aim for Joe, not the sides!

But the view from the centre of the rail's totally different. Granted, for 360 the stage is tall, so it can hurt the neck a bit. You were likely to only see Larry from the chest up, & if you have a shoe fetish you may be disappointed, as you may not see the boys shoes. But you'll still have an incredible view of the boys. Anyway, it sounds like for arena shows, the stage is generally a bit lower than it is in stadium shows.

110618%20U2360%20Anaheim%202%20136_p.jpg

Yeah, you're right, nothing to see here.

110618%20U2360%20Anaheim%202%20427.jpg

What do you know, I did get to see Bono's shoes.

I agree as long as people aren't sprawled out marking their territory. Just sit like a normal person and chill out. You're right though, nothing si worse than a crowd growing more and more anxious and squishing closer and closer together hours before the show. This also always happens in the GA line well before the doors open and it's kind of annoying. I don't want or need to be inches away from someone hours before the doors open :lol:

I agree, we could divide the crowd into two teams and have a massive game of dodge ball on the floor while we wait for U2 to come out.

Why would you want to enter the inner circle early, making it more crowded, while still having to wait for a few more hours? If you're late to the party, isn't it more comfortable to wait at the turnstiles, & enter the inner circle once opening act has started?

Because maybe you want to be 3 rows from the rail instead of 15 rows from the rail?

Because maybe you want to be 3 rows from the rail instead of 15 rows from the rail?
But if, as you say, security is stopping people from entering the inner circle because it looks full, it must be reasonably close to capacity. So there's no way that you're going to get 3rd from the rail. You're going to be in the back third, most likely not near a back rail either.

When the opening act starts & they let you in you'll end up in the same place anyway, as they wouldn't have been letting any other new people in either.

Let me tell you a story
The story of a guy that arrived to the GA line at 2 pm the day BEFORE the 360 show here in Chile in 2011 (In 2006 I got there at 11 pm the night before)

Also, is the story of the ONLY guy (with his then girlfriend) that wanted to be OUTSIDE the Inner Circle.

I was N° 177 in line. We got that early because we feared someone would beat us. No one did. After we got in to the field (like at 4 pm, 26 hrs after we got there) there were only THREE people on the outter rail. We were happy, jumping up and down and all. Then a security guard came and told us "you can't be here" "WHAT?!" "you have to go inside" "But we WANT to be here" "You can't". It was like the head of security. We started walking thinking about scaping as soon as we could. I walked and talked to this guy, and he told me something I'll never forget: "This isn't a party, young man!" ...

WHAT?!?! :angry:

We got inside the inner circle. All our friends looking at us like "what are you doing here?". My girlfriend was PISSED and I had to figure it out. Then, standing right where we were, there were the owner of the production company that brought U2 to Chile and Craig Evans. I waved at them and talked to the chilean guy what happened and asked "can we be there?". They looked at each other, laughed and said "come on down". I grabbed my girlfriend by the hand, got the hell out of the inner circle and got to the spot we wanted: Central Outside Rail.

189490_10150127925563450_6814986_n.jpg

The thing is: we waited for hours to get where WE wanted, the perfect position. And when you dream of a position, work for it and get it, you can get something as amazing as this:

208287_10150127929168450_805669_n.jpg

208867_10150127932068450_2553454_n.jpg

I have a dream spot for this shows, too.
I hope I can get it.
:wave:

Let me tell you a story
The story of a guy that arrived to the GA line at 2 pm the day BEFORE the 360 show here in Chile in 2011 (In 2006 I got there at 11 pm the night before)

Also, is the story of the ONLY guy (with his then girlfriend) that wanted to be OUTSIDE the Inner Circle.

I was N° 177 in line. We got that early because we feared someone would beat us. No one did. After we got in to the field (like at 4 pm, 26 hrs after we got there) there were only THREE people on the outter rail. We were happy, jumping up and down and all. Then a security guard came and told us "you can't be here" "WHAT?!" "you have to go inside" "But we WANT to be here" "You can't". It was like the head of security. We started walking thinking about scaping as soon as we could. I walked and talked to this guy, and he told me something I'll never forget: "This isn't a party, young man!" ...

WHAT?!?! :angry:

We got inside the inner circle. All our friends looking at us like "what are you doing here?". My girlfriend was PISSED and I had to figure it out. Then, standing right where we were, there were the owner of the production company that brought U2 to Chile and Craig Evans. I waved at them and talked to the chilean guy what happened and asked "can we be there?". They looked at each other, laughed and said "come on down". I grabbed my girlfriend by the hand, got the hell out of the inner circle and got to the spot we wanted: Central Outside Rail.

The thing is: we waited for hours to get where WE wanted, the perfect position. And when you dream of a position, work for it and get it, you can get something as amazing as this:

I have a dream spot for this shows, too.
I hope I can get it.
:wave:

Ha! What a jackass that security guy was. Like the morons running the security outside the venue in Edmonton who confiscated everyone's balloons because they said "The band didn't want any balloons". I told them they were full of shit but what could I do. Handed over the balloons. They must've confiscated at least 3000 balloons. I know because I handed out that many and every damn person in line was having to hand over their balloons. To make it worse the security inside the venue thought the guys outside were idiots for doing that and at no point was there a balloon ban inside the stadium.

But yes see some people can bitch about how stupid it is all they want. You knew where you wanted to be for the show and you waited it out to give yourself the best chance possible to be in that exact spot. It doesn't ruin it for others so people need to chill about this whole thing about where others like to be for the show.

For the record you aren't the ONLY one who wanted outside the inner circle. I did inner circle for Toronto and Seville but wanted(and got) centre rail on the outside fo the circle for New York and Edmonton. Honestly the very best "seat" in the house on the 360 tour was the centre rail on the outside of the inner circle. Full view of the stage, nobody in front of you to block your view and a very close up view of the band at various times throughout the show.

:up: Pepo. Glad it worked out in the end. You must have been frothing at the mouth, sometimes security just don't get it.

Yeah, outer rail was a great spot. Far enough away to take in much of the magnificence of the CLAW. But close enough to be full of energy, & get up close to the band on occasions. I'm thinking that it will be a bit more of a struggle to find as many DREAM positions with this layout. Obviously everyone's going to be very close & should have great views, but I don't think there will be so many dream rail spots. Obviously front rail on the I-stage will be very energised when the band is performing there. But I'm hoping the rail on the far side of the e-stage will be great too.

Not long until we find out :applaud:

I'm sorry, but if you arrived in the late afternoon & aimed for a front rail spot in the inner circle there's NO WAY you would have gotten a great spot. You would have been WAY off to the side, near the bridges. No doubt you weren't impressed with the views from here. If you were on Adam's side I doubt you even saw Edge while he was performing on the main stage, or vice versa if you were on Edge's side. No way you'd have views of Larry either.
inner-circle.jpg

Aim for Joe, not the sides!

But the view from the centre of the rail's totally different. Granted, for 360 the stage is tall, so it can hurt the neck a bit. You were likely to only see Larry from the chest up, & if you have a shoe fetish you may be disappointed, as you may not see the boys shoes. But you'll still have an incredible view of the boys. Anyway, it sounds like for arena shows, the stage is generally a bit lower than it is in stadium shows.

110618%20U2360%20Anaheim%202%20136_p.jpg

Yeah, you're right, nothing to see here.

110618%20U2360%20Anaheim%202%20427.jpg

What do you know, I did get to see Bono's shoes.

no, i was in a pretty good spot, but the stage was really high and i am short which is why i can see the overall stage better a bit further back haha

i was mid-way between where you've placed "Joe" and Adam was to my right... the moving bridge was waaaaay to the right, and only came close when it moved over and stopped nearby

it was down to luck (and speedy trainers) that i got such a good spot - as often happens in Paris, there was a mess up when the gates opened, and mine was one of the first to open, so people (like me) who turned up late basically got in before those at the closed gates who'd been there for god knows how long... some guys next to me at the front had been queuing since 4 am :ohmy:

heh thinking about it, i'm not sure i actually saw The Edge at all on the main stage lmfao - see rail is over-rated :D

Eh, I sleep in the 'ellipse' when I have a railspot cause I'm tired from lining up since the early hours and when you get bands like Interpol opening.. . I'm not harming anyone with that, nor do I take up much more space than someone standing. Though I do like having a little extra space to breathe.

Got a good spot at any of my shows, I actually prefer the back rail of the pit so I can see the stage, the claw and the band up close when they come by. I've been in all different spots though to try out. :wink: And soundboard at least one show to look at the light show and visuals.

You certainly must have had your runners on, to get such a good spot after such a late arrival Mama Casa! Yeah, I'm not so keen on multiple GA gates, it can be so hit & miss. But it certainly worked out well for you.

Will you be going to the Bercy shows this tour? I'm seeing Paris 1 & 2, my first French shows. I can't wait :yippie:

You certainly must have had your runners on, to get such a good spot after such a late arrival Mama Casa! Yeah, I'm not so keen on multiple GA gates, it can be so hit & miss. But it certainly worked out well for you.

Will you be going to the Bercy shows this tour? I'm seeing Paris 1 & 2, my first French shows. I can't wait :yippie:

yep, never run so fast in my life haha

thankfully, due to this place, having an idea of the set-up and entrance to the inner circle, i got thru the turnstile and just pointed myself in the right direction and legged it while others around me were getting their bearings and faffing haha

the Stade is awful like that though... yep, off to Bercy 1 - Bercy is one of my favourite ever venues, so should be wonderful! It only used to have one GA entrance, but not sure if this will change after the renovation work - will have to check... see you there! :wink:

will probably be hanging a bit further back this time - the view should be excellent from anywhere with this set-up - will be turning up a bit late due to school/train times etc. - hopefully not toooo late - i have a knack for cutting it too fine and missing support acts at Bercy, but wouldn't want this to backfire if there is no support act this time, so will need to be more organised haha

The spots I want for this tour with my 4 GAs are:

- THE CORNER x 2 (where the main stage and runway conect, one in Edge's side, anothe one in Adam's)
- The tip of the e-stage (to look at the main stage in front and the e-stage show up close)
- Back of the GA side (to see the show from away)

I also have a upper bowl ticket
All I need is a behind the main stage one and I'm done.
And maybe another GA
Stop me
Please
:reject:

Haha :lol: It's certainly addictive isn't it. Luckily it only comes around every few years, otherwise we might have habits that are just as bad as gambling habits.

Yeah, I've also got 4 GA's. For spots, I'm thinking along those lines too. Maybe on the rail behind the RZ(s), wherever that may be, for my chill out show. Guess we'll also have to wait to see how much time is spent on the 'I', compared to the 'e'.

Those "corners will certainly be extremely highly sort after either way. I guess, even if the front rail in the corner is taken, the first few spots down the catwalk rail should still have views of Bono, & from Adam's side views across the catwalk to Edge (& vice versa). Luckily my first two shows are London 5 & 6. Hopefully demand is lower by then, so I can try for the corners. My other two shows, Paris 1 & 2, will no doubt have higher demand.

I've been looking for a cheap nosebleed for London 4. To see the show from further back, & help with planning for GA. But London 4 is sold out, so just checking for Ticket drops. A long wait for me though.

Yeah some 360 research on the forum certainly helped didn't it mama cass. I spoke to some people on the outer rail who didn't know they could have gone into the inner circle, as they thought it was all VIP. I'm sure there were lots of casuals that thought this.

Yep, was researching Bercy, the Porte 8 entrance, & planning my GA run. But have been reading about the renovations for a while. Pity it won't be finished a little bit earlier, so we'd have a better idea about what the procedure will be.

How are the Parisian crowds generally, when it comes to the GA lines? Is it quite orderly usually, or does it turn into a disorderly mass of people around the entrance, one the gates open?

I've got quite a few days in Paris to do the tourist thing. So I don't mind spending a bit of time in line, if the conditions are ok. Maybe I'll arrive early for one show, & chill out for the other.

Yeah some 360 research on the forum certainly helped didn't it mama cass. I spoke to some people on the outer rail who didn't know they could have gone into the inner circle, as they thought it was all VIP. I'm sure there were lots of casuals that thought this.

Yep, was researching Bercy, the Porte 8 entrance, & planning my GA run. But have been reading about the renovations for a while. Pity it won't be finished a little bit earlier, so we'd have a better idea about what the procedure will be.

How are the Parisian crowds generally, when it comes to the GA lines? Is it quite orderly usually, or does it turn into a disorderly mass of people around the entrance, one the gates open?

I've got quite a few days in Paris to do the tourist thing. So I don't mind spending a bit of time in line, if the conditions are ok. Maybe I'll arrive early for one show, & chill out for the other.

i think it really depends on the venue - the Stade is a complete nightmare for queuing, usually no barriers etc., just one big huddle of people, but Bercy seems pretty good! The only time i've queued at Bercy was when i took my daughter to see the Jonas Brothers many moons ago haha - the queue was actually nice and orderly, barriers at the front of the queue for the early birds so i guess no-one was able to push in which helps! We were a looong way back in the queue, as we arrived about an hour or two before doors opened, but still we got a really good spot in GA - the stage was in the middle of the floor, and we were a few heads back for the support band, but then after the support band finished, people started pushing thru to get to the front and it was a nightmare and we had to get out of the crush and stand on the sides, but still a great view due to the stage set-up - that's why i'm not too worried this time round...

for other bands at Bercy, i've arrived late, when the support bands were on or just finishing and still had a good view of the stage... it's a great venue! you will have a blast i'm sure!

Back
Top Bottom