Only "true" fans are entitled to rail!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
is that where they all hold hands and WALK into the venue trying to block others from running? i saw a video of it once, oh jeesus never seen anything like it in my life

seriously why do people let them do it? those who want to run should just "charge" at them and see what happens :lol:

would love to see them try to pull that at other gigs! U2 fans must be really tolerant!! would be a blood bath if they tried to pull that at Hellfest :D

If I ever see people do that in front of me, I'm gonna storm right through them. :D

There was a bloke by the name of Remi, or something like that, I recall, who was gloating about how he and his fellow "real fans" were rocking up the night before, getting "their spot" in line, then leaving for 24 hours and expecting to walk past all the people who had been queuing for hours. Not to mention this bullshit "paper doll" practice to stop others from getting on the rail.
So what's "paper dolling"? Linking arms while running for you spot? Never seen that, sounds really stupid. I've seen lots of people spread out on the rail, taking up as much room as possible, to save a spot for their friend who's 300 spots further back in line.

Funny you should mention Romi (I'm guessing that's who you mean) in the same post. I was right near him for one of the Anaheim shows, rail spot, front & centre. He was spread out all over the rail, saving a spot for one of his 'special friends' (who obviously deserved a rail spot more than anyone else there). A guy behind Romi took acception to this, as you'd expect. This guy was a giant, must have been 10ft tall. The situation got really heated & security was called. Lucky for Romi, as this guy would have torn strips from him. Unfortunately this bloke didn't get the rail spot he deserved, but hey, he was so tall that it probably didn't matter that much.

Ha, I just checked the Anaheim fan cam. That tall guy was smart too, & moved over so he was behind little-old-me. Looks like he's about 3ft taller than me, so no problems with his view being blocked :lol:

Hi Romi if you're watching :wink:

original_zpsa59266aa.gif

I agree, by the way. It's not great that the floor plan wasn't accurate when tickets went on sale, but as Headache said yesterday, there are no guarantees with GA - maybe they'll do a lottery again. Who knows?

If there is no inner circle for GA like there was on the previous 3 tours, what would the lottery be for?

Paper rolling? Saving spots on the rail? Fights? I need to see these threads they all sound exciting :lol:

The lottery would be to determine the order of the GA line, like Bruce has done.

They won't do that. The line was more important when there was an inner ring or area to get access to, but now that there won't be one for this tour there will be less people waiting in line most of the day. The people who must have rail are a tiny minority I think.

I think the paper dolling thing is when someone gets to the rail and then spreads their arms and legs out wide to save spots for friends.

And I have to say, Hallucination is right - there aren't that many people griping about the set-up.

But yes, I'm going to keep poking fun - not at people who prefer a certain spot for comfort (because they're short, because they need something to lean on, etc) or because it's their first time seeing the band and they'd love to have a super primo spot.

I think most of us doing the joking (including me) are just bitter old fans who have been through 800 tours and seen the entitlement about some people when it comes to the rail, and these people are out there. They might not be posting here right now, but we know they're there, and just imagining their consternation at potentially not being able to have their 500th time directly in front of Bono is rather delicious.

We're just jaded, is all. We've seen how this plays out, and it's playing out again, although right now in smaller numbers so far. It's pre-emptive schadenfreude.

But seriously, where is poor pepo? Has he recovered from his initial shock?

Ramble, ramble who cares, tl;dr. I've seen some of these line nazi jerks in action, and they're awful.

I am almost sick to my stomach reading the air of entitlement so many "fans" have posted, whining about the "possibility" (not necessarily the likelihood) that they won't get a spot on the rail. If Bono read some of this whining he'd probably retch on himself as well.

First of all, even if the RZ takes the entire catwalk rail, that doesn't mean GA won't get good spots (or even rail for that matter, as RZ may end short of the front of the stage. Second of all, for a $75 ticket, rail or no rail, you'll be maybe 10-15 feet from the band at some point in the arena.

I've read so many posts of people complaining and threatening to cancel their tour plans? That is so fucking rich.

Newsflash: Most people who bought Red Zone are also die hard fans. Anyone notice RZ sold out almost instantaneously for every show?

Get a grip people. I met so many good, kind, caring people while seeing this band all over the country. It is disheartening to see the whiny, complaining, air of entitlement that reared its ugly head today.

:up::up:

.... I've seen some of these line nazi jerks in action, and they're awful.

yep - personal encounter with one of them in Dublin on 360 Tour. Perfectly fits the description already given by someone previously in this thread.... :down:

I think most of us doing the joking (including me) are just bitter old fans who have been through 800 tours and seen the entitlement about some people when it comes to the rail, and these people are out there. They might not be posting here right now, but we know they're there, and just imagining their consternation at potentially not being able to have their 500th time directly in front of Bono is rather delicious.

We're just jaded, is all. We've seen how this plays out, and it's playing out again, although right now in smaller numbers so far. It's pre-emptive schadenfreude.

Exactly.

Sorry but anyone spreading themselves out to save a spot for a friend who didn't get there early enough, or a whole line of people linking arms and walking to smother the rail in one fell swoop (what the fuck?! if there really is a video of that, someone please post it) to keep out the riff raff deserves to be mocked.

The only time I've seen the linked arms while walking in was at the instruction of the venue staff in Moncton, as the venue was very wet, slippery and muddy, and they truly did not want people running.

haha alright I'll simmer down in that case, that makes sense.

Only time I've ever queued early and literally run to get a rail spot was at Sparks six years ago, seeing the queue the first night I went a little earlier the second and sure enough saw the usual "dedicated" lot let their mates join them at the front. Needless to say it was SO satisfying running across the venue and overtaking them all! :lol:

I can't be bothered attempting anything like that at a U2 gig, the price is just too high!

So what's "paper dolling"? Linking arms while running for you spot? Never seen that, sounds really stupid. I've seen lots of people spread out on the rail, taking up as much room as possible, to save a spot for their friend who's 300 spots further back in line.

Funny you should mention Romi (I'm guessing that's who you mean) in the same post. I was right near him for one of the Anaheim shows, rail spot, front & centre. He was spread out all over the rail, saving a spot for one of his 'special friends' (who obviously deserved a rail spot more than anyone else there). A guy behind Romi took acception to this, as you'd expect. This guy was a giant, must have been 10ft tall. The situation got really heated & security was called. Lucky for Romi, as this guy would have torn strips from him. Unfortunately this bloke didn't get the rail spot he deserved, but hey, he was so tall that it probably didn't matter that much.

Ha, I just checked the Anaheim fan cam. That tall guy was smart too, & moved over so he was behind little-old-me. Looks like he's about 3ft taller than me, so no problems with his view being blocked :lol:

Hi Romi if you're watching :wink:

Dave :wave:

I remember that too. where did you end up being in Anaheim 1? We got separated after hanging out in GA all day, lol.

Sorry but anyone spreading themselves out to save a spot for a friend who didn't get there early enough, or a whole line of people linking arms and walking to smother the rail in one fell swoop (what the fuck?! if there really is a video of that, someone please post it) to keep out the riff raff deserves to be mocked.

There does exist a video of this, somewhere buried in the archives of the 360 tour. 'Come on guys, spread out, we all need to hold hands and spread out as wide as we can so no one else can get there' were along the lines of some of the things they said :lol:

The lottery is to get inside of the "e" on the open side. There is about 10 spots up for grabs.

If its not an enclosed area like the heart on elevation, the ellipse on vertigo, or the enclosed area on 360, I don't see why there would be a lottery. All it would be is rail spots that are open to everyone in the GA area, as opposed to people who get into a enclosed area by a certain time and are then wristbanded so they can come and go as they please.

Also, does anyone know if the floor is completely cut in half by the walk way, stage, e, etc. Will there be a way for fans to go to the other part of the floor or would one have to leave the floor in order to get to the other side?

Dave :wave:

I remember that too. where did you end up being in Anaheim 1? We got separated after hanging out in GA all day, lol.
Hi Zee :wave: ummmm, a long time ago. But for Anaheim 1 I was 2-3 off the rail F-O-S Edge's side from memory. But this was for Anaheim 2. I was one of the first into the inner circle (took a shortcut down the stands with Dan, though he then headed for outer rail), so right under Bono's mic. Brilliant show for me, as you'd expect from with that spot. But to have that start to the show, with AB songs taking control, wow!

Lol. Looking at the fancam again, the other side of me there's some girls with a big blue flag. They were about the first people into the inner circle, & were spreading out holding spots for friends too. Fucking douches!

The only way I spread out on the rail is BACKWARDS. Doesn't impede anyone from getting to the rail. But it does stop that area near the rail from filling up too much, giving everyone a little bit more room. Then when it's safe, I sit down with my back to the rail, legs out straight. Once everyone's settled down, & there's no crowd movement, I'll fold my legs up to give everyone near me some extra room, as we've still got some waiting to go. I think this works out great. But I have had security make me stand up on occasions. They'd rather we were packed in like sardines, real smart guys!

Also, does anyone know if the floor is completely cut in half by the walk way, stage, e, etc. Will there be a way for fans to go to the other part of the floor or would one have to leave the floor in order to get to the other side?
No, don't know anything. But I'm hoping GA has access to the rail of the e-stage, at the far end of the arena. I think this is likely to have the best views on the floor of BOTH stages. Up close & personal when the bands using the e-stage, with good views over the e-stage & down the the length catwalk when the band is performing on the I-stage. Though no views of the LED screen.

If they do totally separate the sides, with a North GA & a South GA, then I guess they could use a lottery to keep the numbers even on both sides. If it does turn out that RZ is along the catwalk, but only on the South side, then it may actually turn out to be benificial to be in North GA. Though, I don't think I'd aim for the catwalk, so probably wouldn't be fussed which side I was on in any case. Though RZ along the catwalk may limit GA access to the e-stage rail (or maybe even part of the FOS rail), as RZ will need to accesses from somewhere.

Only problem I see with a lottery for North side / South side is that for all my shows I enter the arena from the North side. May be be hard to get anyone to the South side from here.

All conjecture, we'll know soon enough :applaud:

Only "true" fans are entitled to rail!

360 was the first GA I did for U2. I had my thrill of the rail but have no needs or wants for that again. Times have changed as my personal health is now dictating how I handle these shows or any band I see live. My tolerance for lining up all day and going for rail is no longer of interest. I just want to avoid people pushing into me, so I will stay away, clear of this and enjoy the concerts that I attend.

For Muse last tour, I happily stood in the back by the soundboard and chatted with security. It was a great time and I did not have to worry about being shoved.

360 was the first GA I did for U2. I had my thrill of the rail but have no needs or wants for that again. Times have changed as my personal health is now dictating how I handle these shows or any band I see live. My tolerance for lining up all day and going for rail is no longer of interest. I just want to avoid people pushing into me, so I will stay away, clear of this and enjoy the concerts that I attend.

For Muse last tour, I happily stood in the back by the soundboard and chatted with security. It was a great time and I did not have to worry about being shoved.
Depending on the final layout, & where RZ is situated, there may be rail spots BEHIND the RZ. I'd expect that these might not be very highly sort after, & may be available to those who arrive quite late. I was considering this spot for 360, for late arrivals. RZ pushes forward a bit towards the rail, leaving the back half pretty empty. So anyone behind the RZ may have a pretty good view, instead of staring at the back of someone's head.

Not sure if a rail would be advantageous to you with your health issues. But I certainly like it. I've got pretty bad knees (especially after a few days jumping around in GA), plus I'm short. Doesn't have to be a rail that's within spitting distance of Bono, any rail will do me. Although I was within spitting distance of Chris Martin at Slane 1. That guy sings like Sylvester the Cat. They should have supplied us all with rain coats!

Back
Top Bottom