No more second guitar? Nonsense!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Registered Dude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Bono may not be able to join Edge on stage with his weak-ass guitar skills anymore, thanks to Bikegate. This probably means Dallas, or someone else from the underworld, will need step it up and join in on songs that need/benefit the 2nd guitar, like The Fly, One, etc.

I say: step it up and step right out! that's right: join em on stage. no need to hide in the underworld anymore. Yes Terry Lawless likes to hide below with his keys. However, no self-respecting guitar player would say the same.

In the name of authenticity, and filling-out-their live sound, I say, let Dallas join them on stage :rockon:

ncrash.gif

Bono may not be able to join Edge on stage with his weak-ass guitar skills anymore, thanks to Bikegate. This probably means Dallas, or someone else from the underworld, will need step it up and join in on songs that need/benefit the 2nd guitar, like The Fly, One, etc.

I say: step it up and step right out! that's right: join em on stage. no need to hide in the underworld anymore. Yes Terry Lawless likes to hide below with his keys. However, no self-respecting guitar player would say the same.

In the name of authenticity, and filling-out-their live sound, I say, let Dallas join them on stage :rockon:

ncrash.gif

Maybe have Dallas play back there where the keyboard is normally set in the stage. A guest musician but not place him up there where the action is happening.

I'm a physician - though not an Ortho. Checked with a few Ortho buddies and sent them Bono's X-ray

They think the tour start in May and 4-6 weeks of full band rehearsals pre tour will be cutting it close for his rehab from the injury

He def will not have full range of motion by then and will likely have some pain. Full rehab can take 12 mos from an injury like this.

Basic (mandatory) rehab 5 days a week will start around now (once everything is set) and last 3 months - basically right up to rehearsal start

The rehab for the initial months is intense and several hours per day.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Thanks for posting

I am in Bono's age group and my elbows and knees ache

I am taking Advil daily. He will have serious pain for the rest of his life. He will need to be careful not to take too much pain meds, easy to abuse.

Yes, thanks for taking the time to post this. Very much appreciated.

I'm certain that he'll be in the best shape of his life when it's time. As best as one can at his age.

I'm a physician - though not an Ortho. Checked with a few Ortho buddies and sent them Bono's X-ray

They think the tour start in May and 4-6 weeks of full band rehearsals pre tour will be cutting it close for his rehab from the injury

He def will not have full range of motion by then and will likely have some pain. Full rehab can take 12 mos from an injury like this.

Basic (mandatory) rehab 5 days a week will start around now (once everything is set) and last 3 months - basically right up to rehearsal start

The rehab for the initial months is intense and several hours per day.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'd say your ortho friends are correct and Bono knew as much, particularly about the 5 days a week starting any day now. I wouldn't think it would be more than an hour or so at first. I also think he won't only be doing Physical Therapy (PT) for general mobility, but also Occupational Therapy (OT) for the fine motor skills and learning new movements for those he once took for granted. Hence, that is why he said he's not appearing in public for the first half of 2015. It's not even a half since May 14th is before that mark.

Godspeed Bono, hope your Irish stubbornness, endurance, and perseverance serves you well in this. I am counting on it and bet you are too. I'm not even wanting to entertain the downside of your pain with the medications to assist in your recovery. Prayers going up.

ncrash.gif

That gif made my day, hilarious!

Maybe have Dallas play back there where the keyboard is normally set in the stage. A guest musician but not place him up there where the action is happening.

That's what I'm thinking.. they'd still stand apart as U2, but without hiding anything

Dallas on the stage from now on? God YES! :drool:

/fangirlmomentover

But who will be doing Edge's guitars then? Since Dallas does not only the switches, but is also in charge of the effects in case Edge isn't near his rack (on the ramps etc).

Bono's guitar is not necessary for the band to play One or The Fly, or any other song. Nobody will be filling in for him on those songs. It's more for show than anything. Yes, sometimes Bono contributes to the sound with his guitar, other times he just holds it and occasionally strums a chord. Whatever he does play, it's different every single time. It's also party just to give him an excuse to stand still at his microphone stand for awhile.

We all make jokes about his guitar playing, but he's more important to some songs than many of you are giving him credit for.

They'll just make alternate arrangements, and things will be fine, but there will be an adjustment needed.

Additionally Bono is the key to U2's musical direction and song writing. He apparently can play piano now, so that should help in the song writing, but again... some are discounting his importance on guitar in the songwriting process a bit too much.

They'll be fine, and the most important thing in the entire posting is that he said he MIGHT not be able to play. It's entirely possible that he will be able to again in due time.

Additionally Bono is the key to U2's musical direction and song writing. He apparently can play piano now, so that should help in the song writing, but again... some are discounting his importance on guitar in the songwriting process a bit too much.
*honest question* (feels weird having to specify this):
how much do you think his guitar is involved in the songwriting process?

I usually see/read stuff about Edge coming up with the basic tunes and then Bono jumping in to start singing bonolese when he's interested in something and then he starts to work as some sort of artistic director, but I usually don't see anything about he taking his guitar and start writing music.

I know that "I usually don't see anything about it" means nothing, and I'm sure he does this every once in a while, but how much do you think it happens? surely it wouldn't be too often otherwise we'd hear more about it, right?

They'll be fine, and the most important thing in the entire posting is that he said he MIGHT not be able to play. It's entirely possible that he will be able to again in due time.
"right now I don't know if I'll be able to even play guitar again" sounded to me more like "right now I don't know if my team will be able to enter the playoffs ever again" than "doctors have told me that unless a miracle happens I won't be able to play guitar again".
His joke at the end reinforced this idea to me.

Dallas on the stage from now on? God YES! :drool:

/fangirlmomentover

But who will be doing Edge's guitars then? Since Dallas does not only the switches, but is also in charge of the effects in case Edge isn't near his rack (on the ramps etc).

I volunteer. *pushes you away*

It would suck for the band if Bono wasn't able to write on guitar any more, and it would really be awful for him if he couldn't play.

Ideally they'd have a fifth guy on stage, like Scott McCaughey in REM, to play guitar and keys as needed. Having piped in music and Terry Lawless playing below the stage is ridiculous. If he doesn't want to play on stage they should replace him. It wouldn't be hard to find someone who can do what he does. A real second guitarist would be great. I saw Lanois play Bad with them and it was great.

It would suck for the band if Bono wasn't able to write on guitar any more, and it would really be awful for him if he couldn't play.

Agree and if it's only because Bono enjoys doing so.

I don't know if and how they will be able to replace his guitar, but if so, I'd also say Dallas will probably play the second guitar, if necessary. I think that, even though Bono's part isn't THAT important, it will still be missed.

Apart from that, as said earlier, the most important part of the story is his full recovery which will be difficult enough for the start of the tour. People I talked to, including doctors, are saying that he can recover fully or almost fully if he's doing his intensive rehab and PT which should be going on now (I think Edge mentioned B having therapy twice a day). He will also have to have intensive PT while touring, just like he had with his back after surgery, I think it was 3 or 4 hours a day. But if he's treated properly, takes care and recovers well, he will be fine again.

It's a very bad injury, but people have worse injuries than that. I know people who came out of car crashes or were hit by cars with the double amount of broken bones, reconstructed joints and all, horrible injuries, but with the right amount of therapy and with time they all have recovered. It will surely take about a year to heal and he won't be able to move his arm properly for some time, also depending on the scale of damages to his nerves. Touring will put stress and pressure on him, so let's hope he can still continue recovering and won't have any bad backlashes.

Soooo Dallas is kinda sorta a little too busy getting The Edge's guitars ready for the next song to be popping out on stage to add some filler for The Fly.

They'll come up with alternate arrangements for the couple of songs that would require help. I doubt they'll bring another musician on stage.

For " The Fly" all they have to do is playing the elevation tour version.

No Bono on guitar and it was the best verion of the song,live.

Back
Top Bottom