Filming anywhere this time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommycharles

War Child
The show was spectacular in person, I can't wait to relive it on film. Any idea where they might be filming this time?

The O2 might be good but it seems like it'd make more sense to film something in the summer for a q4 release.

I'd guess they would want a Q4 release to capitalise on Xmas sales, so thinking they won't record any later than July.
That's IF there is a dvd release this year.

Sent from my SM-G900I using U2 Interference mobile app

I'd guess NYC too although I genuinely don't understand why they don't film another live dvd in a European city. Slane Castle is my favorite from the 2000s

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

From the NY Times

Backstage at the coliseum was a warren of activity: construction, video programming, sound editing, catering, a rehearsal room with another set of instruments. An HBO crew was shooting a tour documentary. And there was one more curtained nook: recording, with a mobile studio setup. There the next U2 album, “Songs of Experience,” is taking shape.

So it would appear that something is already being filmed, and has been since Vancouver.

From the NY Times

So it would appear that something is already being filmed, and has been since Vancouver.

This seems more like something specific for HBO though, I assumed the original post was more a question about the "official DVD/Blu Ray release"...

I'm in agreement with NYC if they're doing a North American city this tour - maybe Montreal but that seems too early in the tour... who knows

Latin America, Italy or Spain for the liveliest crowds. Since Latin America is next year and Turin is opening the leg when they'll be a tad rusty, that means they should go for Barca.

I feel like they'll definitely want to film it in the first two tour legs as they seem to like getting a good sampling of the new material in the tour DVD; remember how they brought back Unknown Caller from a brief absence in the run-up to the Rose Bowl?

This seems more like something specific for HBO though, I assumed the original post was more a question about the "official DVD/Blu Ray release"...

I'm in agreement with NYC if they're doing a North American city this tour - maybe Montreal but that seems too early in the tour... who knows

...and the PopMart DVD was originally a Showtime live broadcast. ZooTV in Sydney was originally a PPV broadcast, the 360 BluRay was originally a YouTube live broadcast... etc etc.

Clearly it's possible that whatever HBO is doing is completely separate from whatever eventual tour release that is put out, but there's a lot of precedence pointing to whatever they're doing with HBO in someway ending up as said release.

My guess is that HBO is/was filming some behind the scenes stuff to air before a potential future live (or delayed live) broadcast, perhaps at one of the NYC shows, that will eventually become the tour release down the line (just in time for Christmas I'm sure).

Latin America, Italy or Spain for the liveliest crowds. Since Latin America is next year and Turin is opening the leg when they'll be a tad rusty, that means they should go for Barca.

Yeah, this.

I feel like they'll definitely want to film it in the first two tour legs as they seem to like getting a good sampling of the new material in the tour DVD; remember how they brought back Unknown Caller from a brief absence in the run-up to the Rose Bowl?

A good point. It's interesting how their original live releases were late in the tour (UABRS is closer to the end than the start of War, if you ignore the brief foray to Japan; RAH and ZooTV are the final legs of their respective tours; Popmart is very late in the third leg), but on recent tours the big live release has been from the first couple of legs (Boston was on Elevation's first leg, with Slane on the second; Chicago was just over a month into Vertigo's first leg, though U2:3D came from the end of tour; the Rose Bowl was on 360's second leg and nothing's come from the next two years of the tour). On all three of the recent tours, the amount of new material has declined noticeably after the first couple of legs, or the feel of the tour has changed, or both. This was not always so true in the past.

...and the PopMart DVD was originally a Showtime live broadcast. ZooTV in Sydney was originally a PPV broadcast, the 360 BluRay was originally a YouTube live broadcast... etc etc.

Clearly it's possible that whatever HBO is doing is completely separate from whatever eventual tour release that is put out, but there's a lot of precedence pointing to whatever they're doing with HBO in someway ending up as said release.

My guess is that HBO is/was filming some behind the scenes stuff to air before a potential future live (or delayed live) broadcast, perhaps at one of the NYC shows, that will eventually become the tour release down the line (just in time for Christmas I'm sure).

you make a good point, anything is possible I suppose.

I think i read somewhere (Flannigan book?) that they "film" every show and then go back and watch it afterwards to see what could be improved upon, etc. Might have just been specific to ZooTV or PoPMart or something like that.

I could be wrong...

I'm hoping that they make Denver #2 as the official DVD release. :drool:

Four shows in Amsterdam. It'd be about bloody time. :wink:

Not entirely impossible,

-The venue is very goodlooking on film and multiple DVD's have been shot there already. So logistically speaking FULLY possible.
-Acoustics would be perfect unlike the ugly Arena with its bathroom sound :shifty:
- Amsterdam has always has a lovely crowd.
- They have 4 nights to get it right.

Enough of upping my own country:

But I'll actually be placing my bets on a mixed DVD with footage from several cities/ countries.
A la Edge's picks.

I still wish they would've released U23D. It literally put South America on my U2 concert bucket list :heart:

If they do release anything hopefully it's similar to Pearl Jam's 'Touring Band 2000' which was footage taken over an entire leg. I really won't be surprised if we get a feature length film on HBO focusing on the whole Innocence and Experience theme and incidents that have happened on the tour and its lead up, almost somewhat similar to Rattle and Hum. Lord knows they have had a horrid year and past few months...Bono's near death flight experience, his near death bicycle accident and the recent passing of Dennis Sheehan.

Back
Top Bottom