Filming anywhere this time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think i read somewhere (Flannigan book?) that they "film" every show and then go back and watch it afterwards to see what could be improved upon, etc. Might have just been specific to ZooTV or PoPMart or something like that.

I could be wrong...

Yes, they do. All the tapes were in the basement of Principle alongside Paul's body bags until they sold out and presumably had to exhume everything to put it somewhere else. Somewhere, someplace, is every U2 show since at least 1992 and I think fans should riot until we get them, my precious. That said, they def. give special attention to shooting for release and stress out big time about camera placement and so on. Different ball game.

If they do release anything hopefully it's similar to Pearl Jam's 'Touring Band 2000' which was footage taken over an entire leg. U2 record every show and have been doing so for years. I really won't be surprised if we get a feature length film on HBO focusing on the whole Innocence and Experience theme and incidents that have happened on the tour and its lead up, almost somewhat similar to Rattle and Hum. Lord knows they have had a horrid year and past few months...Bono's near death flight experience, his near death bicycle accident and the recent passing of Dennis Sheehan.

Jeevey is right. The equipment and lighting required for a home video release are quite different from the stuff that's traveling as part of the production. (Recall that extra lighting was brought in for the Elevation and Vertigo shows they shot, and Willie Williams spoke about the difference in his diary entries around that time. Here's a link to the first of several posts from the Vertigo era.) Now I know 10-15 years have passed in terms of available technology, but you still have to consider the differing (and sometimes opposing) needs of each audience - the fan in the stands vs. the home viewer.

Jeevey is right. The equipment and lighting required for a home video release are quite different from the stuff that's traveling as part of the production. (Recall that extra lighting was brought in for the Elevation and Vertigo shows they shot, and Willie Williams spoke about the difference in his diary entries around that time. Here's a link to the first of several posts from the Vertigo era.) Now I know 10-15 years have passed in terms of available technology, but you still have to consider the differing (and sometimes opposing) needs of each audience - the fan in the stands vs. the home viewer.

If you've seen the DVD the poster was referencing, there wouldn't be much in the way of additional production elements needed

With new management and DVD sales on the decline (especially music DVD sales) I wouldn't be surprised if they avoided their traditional concert home movie release this time around. But like hibricc says, a feature length film, featuring live footage, sounds more promising.

I was fortunate to be at the Roxy, and there were camera men on the left side of the stage definitely filming the show from that angle.... and I also met 2 photographers that had said they were freelance but had met Bono like 15 years ago, and Bono still asks them to photograph them at various shows during the tour. These guys were right on the front rail to the left side of Bono's mic at the Roxy, and they left halfway through to shoot from the back, and let us on the rail :love:
Then, a few nights later, at LA4, I was on the main stage/catwalk corner rail.. and there were multiple camera men filming the band... it looked like the exact same equipment that was at the Roxy. And, coincidentally, the same exact photographer dudes were in front of us again... and Bono and Edge put on a major "show" right in front of them and the video cameras that whole night (more of a "show" then I had seen in San Jose or LA1 or 3.)

I am excited to see what comes out of all that photography/videography!

They should record it in Montreal..... ok ok I'm biased cause those are the shows I'm going to next but I'd also be down with them recording it in London. Having said that the best crowd I've ever seen at a U2 show was Seville, Spain on the 360 tour.

I hope it's just One show. (or two with the way the usually cut/edit footage these days) NYC would probably be the front runner from this point, however Amsterdam or Barcelona would be great.

I was fortunate to be at the Roxy, and there were camera men on the left side of the stage definitely filming the show from that angle.... and I also met 2 photographers that had said they were freelance but had met Bono like 15 years ago, and Bono still asks them to photograph them at various shows during the tour. These guys were right on the front rail to the left side of Bono's mic at the Roxy, and they left halfway through to shoot from the back, and let us on the rail :love:

Then, a few nights later, at LA4, I was on the main stage/catwalk corner rail.. and there were multiple camera men filming the band... it looked like the exact same equipment that was at the Roxy. And, coincidentally, the same exact photographer dudes were in front of us again... and Bono and Edge put on a major "show" right in front of them and the video cameras that whole night (more of a "show" then I had seen in San Jose or LA1 or 3.)

I am excited to see what comes out of all that photography/videography!

Probably straight to the archives :-(

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Probably straight to the archives :-(

hey we gotta have something left when they die :wink:

Also I can confirm that there are photogs that keep on returning each show. I thought I was going mad and kept seeing the same faces on video footage. But now I see I'm not the only one noticing.

Maybe everything they have been filming culminates in New York City at the end of this first leg. Eight shows in the Garden, U2 back in Harlem almost 30 years later etc.

The Madison Square Garden Company obviously owns MSG, however they also own The Forum which they just played and which was reportedly heavily filmed. HBO is an NYC juggernaut. Time Warner which owns HBO has deals with the MSG Company. There are more connections here than Oprah Winfrey and the Illuminati.

This thing could easily be a coast to coast affair just like Rattle and Hum. Or I could be extremely wrong (which I most likely am!) and U2 just film a concert in Ireland or something.

time warner and MSG actually hate each other, as MSG is owned by a rival cable company.

and MSG isn't in Harlem. alas... i do agree that the MSG shows is the most likely filming location.

Thanks for the clarification. I do know MSG isn't in Harlem as I'm a Knicks fan (unfortunately). I was merely trying to imply that U2 being back in New York would most likely entail a visit to Harlem.

Soooo maybe they aren't doing a big film-style shoot this time around?

Video show director Stefaan "Smasher" Desmedt travels with a full broadcast crew that films from more than 20 cameras during the show. All that material - expected to be about 50 terabytes archived by the end of the tour - will give the team more to choose from when they create DVD products from the tour. "I don't believe in coming in and doing one show and putting it on DVD," Desmedt said in an interview before the band's July 14 concert in Boston.

ComputerWorldUK

I would like to see them release one US show (Most likely from MSG) and one of the Barcelona shows as a box set. But I highly doubt they do something like that.

I would like to see them release one US show (Most likely from MSG) and one of the Barcelona shows as a box set. But I highly doubt they do something like that.

Now I'm thinking that rather than "U2 at MSG" or "U2 in Spain", we're going to get "U2 iNNOCENCE & eXPERIENCE LIVE", with clips and songs that have been shot throughout the tour.

This doesn't bode well for U2. If it just a show or a couple of shows, we are likely to get rarities played at those shows showing up. If it is a best of the tour, you can guarantee it will be replete with war horses

They could do a U22-type selection process.

You've got professional looking shows shot in 4k on Youtube these days. A world away from Zoo TV Sydney on VHS taking 6 months to be released, and waiting years after DVD was established to buy it again.

This doesn't bode well for U2. If it just a show or a couple of shows, we are likely to get rarities played at those shows showing up. If it is a best of the tour, you can guarantee it will be replete with war horses

I would think just the opposite. Either way they do it - you'll definitely know what you're getting. Still, there is something to be said for a recording of a single show. Better for nostalgia or something...

Hey guys, so in NY I was at the bar across the street from MSG. And I met a U2 road crew guy, Who I think was their video production manager, and I got really friendly with him and we had a conversation we were talking. And he told me that they are planning on filming the Paris shows for live DVD. Believe me or don't its what he told me :D

Last edited:
I can't see them recording the full show DVD in Amsterdam or Glasgow, because those are not true 360 degree arenas. There would be no seats behind the main stage, and that's just be odd looking.

time warner and MSG actually hate each other, as MSG is owned by a rival cable company.

and MSG isn't in Harlem. alas... i do agree that the MSG shows is the most likely filming location.

They can't hate each other that much because Time Warner Cable has an area in the rotunda where people can get their photos taken for free in front of a TWC step and repeat.

They can't hate each other that much because Time Warner Cable has an area in the rotunda where people can get their photos taken for free in front of a TWC step and repeat.

Are you sure it's Time Warner Cable? The Garden is owned by the owners of Cablevision, so that wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom