Are these the added dates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm gonna go with Prince on this one.

I think you win. Target Center tweeted this as a hint:

10818015_320361991502215_436882224_n.jpg

That 1999 hint screamed Prince, not Billy Joel. :wink:

Totally, which is what they were probably trying to do. I guess he hasn't played a solo show in the TC since then, so it was a nice coincidence for them to have fun with.

If it had been Prince, he'd probably get in trouble for not taking the stage until 3am.

I think the gap between Montreal and Chicago could just be a break. They took about a week off between the Vancouver and Chicago shows on Vertigo. It sort of fits as a mid break in the tour first leg. They love being in Chicago so would probably just stay there for the break. I guess we will see.

After 4x London: 2, 3 November

2 more shows in the country of london, for the rest of England's population absolutely FUCK ALL!!!!!:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

The US is in the same boat. Enormous sections of the country get nothing, meanwhile LA will probably end up with 8 shows where 4 have basically satisfied the demand. Chicago doesn't need 6 shows either, why not play in some other cities?

I'm just lucky enough that I only have a 5-6 hour drive to Chicago, and a job where I can take a mini vacation in order to go.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

2 more shows in the country of london, for the rest of England's population absolutely FUCK ALL!!!!!:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

as one of the many that don't live near London I totally understand...has this been confirmed yet??

Yes, they have confirmed extra shows for London. Specific dates not given yet, but it'll be very surprising if the shows aren't on the 2nd and 3rd of November.

I think the gap between Montreal and Chicago could just be a break. They took about a week off between the Vancouver and Chicago shows on Vertigo. It sort of fits as a mid break in the tour first leg. They love being in Chicago so would probably just stay there for the break. I guess we will see.

Would not be surprised though if they made an appearance at the Live Earth concert in NY, which is the day after they wrap up in Montreal.

To be fair its the same for alot of countries. All of Scandinavia only gets 4 shows in Stockholm. Atleast the UK has London + Glasgow and also the in time added Dublin shows. Besides the UK is much smaller in size than the combined size of Scandinavia.

Smaller in size maybe, but much bigger in population terms than even the wider block of all the Nordic countries. And Dublin is not in the UK. Taking ages to add these Dublin shows, they better be indoors and not switch it to stadiums next summer. Would not be happy.

It's not about size or population of a country. I think it's about how strong the U2 market is in a certain area.
That's why I don't understand U2's strategy to announce extra dates in less strong markets? (L.A., Chicago, London). Those markets will be saturated.. Wouldn't it be better to go for extra dates in cities like Amsterdam, Antwerp, Cologne, Paris, Toronto, Vancouver or Turin?

Toronto sold out 4 consecutive arena shows on the Vertigo tour (and people were still begging for tickets) and then two consecutive stadium shows in '09 and one in '11. I can't imagine that the two Toronto shows announced this tour sold out any more slowly than Chicago or LA, so it's insane that they're adding shows to these major US markets and not Toronto.

Toronto sold out 4 consecutive arena shows on the Vertigo tour (and people were still begging for tickets) and then two consecutive stadium shows in '09 and one in '11. I can't imagine that the two Toronto shows announced this tour sold out any more slowly than Chicago or LA, so it's insane that they're adding shows to these major US markets and not Toronto.

All I can figure is they plan on doing 2 stadium shows in Toronto in 2016, hence the reason they only put 2 on it this time. Montreal, on the other hand, doesn't really have a stadium that U2 can play (the old Olympic Stadium is pretty much condemned at this point, I think somebody on here said). So they played 4 shows there to fulfill demand to see them in Montreal. It will be interesting if they still try to play stadiums in LA and Chicago next year, since they're gonna bleed those markets absolutely dry this year.

All I can figure is they plan on doing 2 stadium shows in Toronto in 2016, hence the reason they only put 2 on it this time. Montreal, on the other hand, doesn't really have a stadium that U2 can play (the old Olympic Stadium is pretty much condemned at this point, I think somebody on here said). So they played 4 shows there to fulfill demand to see them in Montreal. It will be interesting if they still try to play stadiums in LA and Chicago next year, since they're gonna bleed those markets absolutely dry this year.

They did two nights in Montreal in 2011 that must have totaled 140,000 or more. So four arena shows in Montreal = 80,000 at most.

So maybe the demand is there for them to construct another temporary stadium in 2016?

I really can't see why they're wasting time with arenas, especially in Europe. 4 arena shows in Paris, for example = less than 80,000 people. Meanwhile, on the 360 tour they played Stade de France 3 times, and each show had over 90,000 people.

I realize they'll most likely return to Stade de France next summer, but it still seems silly to do in 4 nights what you could do in 1.

I really can't see why they're wasting time with arenas.

I can't speak for Europe, but for the US it seemed like a tactic to underplay and grow demand for a stadium tour the following year. BUT the album isn't a hit, there's backlash regarding the release method, Bono's injury has prevented any sort of promo tour and the ticket prices are high enough that you're not seeing immediate/complete sellouts. They're rolling these extra dates out slowly to see what the market will bear. Their last back-to-back stadium tour in the US was Zooropa-Popmart, and we all know how the latter's experience affected them.

I really can't see why they're wasting time with arenas, especially in Europe.

Because stadiums are awful venues?

I realise arenas aren't much better, but when you're as famous as U2 you unfortunately can't play clubs without complete mayhem breaking out.

I really can't see why they're wasting time with arenas, especially in Europe.

U2 hasn't played arenas in Europe since 2001. (Vertigo was stadiums only) At least one generation of fans doesn't how great it is seeing U2 in a smaller venue and how much stadiums suck.

It's such a present and a smart move to play arenas this year! And it's for sure that they will play stadiums in 2016.

Of course it's strange that U2 skip areas like the american south east, especially Florida. (they love it) The whole tour itinerary makes a lot of sense with this kind of residency tour. Don't complain, folks. Enjoy!

The sound on the 360 tour was the best sound ive ever heard at a gig. Indoors or outdoors

The whole wah wah stadiums are awful narrative is silly at this point. The sound system they used on 360 was excellent, and most of us here were just as close to the band in the stadium gigs as we were/will be for arena gigs.

Yeah the sound was very good, crystal clear at all 3 shows I was at. At 2 of those I was very close, and at the one in east Lansing I had seats comparable to upper bowl in an arena. The sound was still good and the nature of the 360 stage still made it feel like I was right in the middle of tee action. 360 really did perfect and redefine stadium shows.

i have been under a rock for a while but i get the sense that price is the ONLY reason why there are all those 300s seats for TO1 and TO2....and the fact that people are broke in Canada...[at least that is according to household debt levels...]

i really doubt they bring another show. i am still hoping to grab a GA for TO1 at some point, however.

Yeah the public may have reacted negatively to the albums release, but I really don't think that's going to ruin 30+ years of pretty much uninterrupted success. The problem is the damn prices, mostly. I'm a super diehard U2 fan of 20 years, and I make pretty good money, but I refuse to pay $300 for any ticket, unless it's on an airplane. Luckily they keep floor seats cheap, because for me it's either that or shitty nosebleeds, which are also way overpriced!

Back
Top Bottom