All Purpose Pre-Show Lineup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So for those who arrived at venue official lineup in Denver, what number were you? I doubt very much that 150 was a rumour. Disgustingly true.

Saw a comment on the FB feed for U2.com where a woman mentioned she was number 48 in line and had gotten there at 8 AM. :drool:

Also, I must add nothing is more overused and in poor taste than Nazi this or that. It's how every woman who can form a sentence to defend herself is a bitch. I make the worst jokes a person can make, so I'll all for the comedy. I say things 100 times worse, so I don't personally care myself. I just must point out that when I hear list and numbers and Nazi used together, I'm not thinking about a U2 show.

Totally agree with you on that. I had a dad who grew up in WWII and had to deal with actual Nazis, so it's difficult..but after the whole Seinfeld Soup Nazi thing, this word gets used a lot in a flip way. People mean well. But it bothers me too. Line Fascists maybe? ;-)

"the deal" for Springsteen or U2?

for how Springsteen does it.

the only way it would "screw" anyone is if he just did it and didn't tell anyone, and people lined up all day only to find out that there was a random lottery for first in.

if you know the deal ahead of time, you can either decide to camp out anyway to guarantee yourself a spot either right behind the first 100 in or on one of outer rails (bruce has an inner pit and an outer pit and a small b stage in the middle of the floor) or just show up whenever to get your wristband and hope for the best come lottery time.

nobody is "screwed"

Well I don't know what he does now, but a few years ago, I went to a show where I got an official writstband with number, and they picked the person behind us as #1, so we were basically at the end. This was several years ago, so I'm sure it's all different now. It was my only GA and only show, and I was of course disappointed! I felt pretty screwed at the time. The rules were fair and all, and I didn't have to camp out, but I sure had a crappy spot.

I think that makes more sense with an end stage layout, where the best spot on the floor is more obvious and doesn't vary during the show.

Oh, for sure agreed for this setup.

I blame Seinfeld for the use of 'Nazi' to use as a catch-all for hardass assholes. I'm sure I've used it before, but I try not to, because it's become a lazy insult.

for how Springsteen does it.

the only way it would "screw" anyone is if he just did it and didn't tell anyone, and people lined up all day only to find out that there was a random lottery for first in.

if you know the deal ahead of time, you can either decide to camp out anyway to guarantee yourself a spot either right behind the first 100 in or on one of outer rails (bruce has an inner pit and an outer pit and a small b stage in the middle of the floor) or just show up whenever to get your wristband and hope for the best come lottery time.

nobody is "screwed"

this Wouldn't work with Springsteen system, as I recall.

Well I don't know what he does now, but a few years ago, I went to a show where I got an official writstband with number, and they picked the person behind us as #1, so we were basically at the end. This was several years ago, so I'm sure it's all different now. It was my only GA and only show, and I was of course disappointed! I felt pretty screwed at the time. The rules were fair and all, and I didn't have to camp out, but I sure had a crappy spot.
Yeah, but all you were screwed out of was the pit, right? If you were there to get a wristband, you still must've been pretty close up in the regular GA. What do you define as a crappy spot?

I have issues. I get stressed out when I hear about GA line screw ups. :reject: Sucks that after putting in your time for hours it can all just go to hell in a matter of minutes. I know, I know. No one makes anyone line up for hours. I may only do one crazy GA line this tour (as in show up early AM day of the show) and I want to make sure my time investment is worth abandoning my husband and child in Chicago for the day. :reject:

Yeah, it's funny - as much as the whole line thing chaps my hide (or grates my cheese, if you like), I have a lot of friends who like to line up. I don't give them any grief for participating, I still dig them, so whatever. So yeah, it sucks to see it all go to hell.

I hate the game, not the players. :wink:

Well yeah. There's always gonna be a LeBron in line. :wink:

I don't know basketball - is he someone people love to hate? I don't even know.

this Wouldn't work with Springsteen system, as I recall.

Yeah, but all you were screwed out of was the pit, right? If you were there to get a wristband, you still must've been pretty close up in the regular GA. What do you define as a crappy spot?

Yup, that sounds about right. I was about half way back on the floor as I recall, with some very tall people in front of me. Couldn't see very well at all. Really wanted to be much closer, but there we have it. But it was an excellent show. He did the whole Thunder Road album. :)

The only time I could have been dead front center in the front row was the taping of Invisible at Top Of The Rock. I was there all ready to go, and the producers made me move to the side and back because I was too tall and would block the camera.

Back and side was of course 3 feet away from The Edge, as the area where they filmed was very very small. Alas... Opportunity blown.

Anti-heightists.

The sad part is that you really don't need a list. I mean if venues (for the most part) are giving wristbands at 9:00 a.m. or whenever they are and people just line up and get them at the time this is effective. For LA#2 show I got there after 8:00 and was like over 100 BUT because I totally blanked about the list had lost 4 spots UNTIL I got on the 'LIST' Even then once they started handing out wristbands I would have easily gotten a band because the line was not big.

P.S. The LIST didn't quite work.....somebody snatched a wristband somewhere along the line because when they got to me the number I was on the list WAS NOT the same on the wristband! That made me laugh!!!:lol:

Some people in LA got in line sans tickets. They got a wristband in hopes of scoring GA tickets in a drop or as a plus one.

How the hell did that work? Weren't the staff finding the GA ticket holders on a list and checking IDs before giving out wristbands?

You didn't have to show anything to get wristbanded. We'd gotten there around 9, and got in the line to get numbered/wristbanded. Obviously you wouldn't get into the wristbanded pen area at 4:00-5:00pm without a ticket. On the 30th, they had the staff scan us in line and gave us our ticket to get in. Once the doors opened, we went in, numerically, as we were in the pens. On the 31st, they were either running late or changed plans, and didn't scan us in the pens. It still worked rather smoothly.

The GA line last night in Denver was a nightmare. They split us up into 4 giant lines going in so people lost their spots. Then once we cleared security and got our tickets we went around the corner into a closed off hallway. They were yelling at us that they were going to hold us in the hallway for 10 minutes before opening the doors. It was so poorly planned and of course they kept letting GA in so we were totally smooshed. There was a man In front of me holding his little daughter to avoid the crazyness of her getting trampled. They were numbered 2 and 3 for the GA and people that were in the 60s had pushed up to them. The staff blamed it on the band saying they wanted it this way (yeah right!). Then they yelled at us please walk when we open the doors. 300 people smooshed into a hallway ready set go- no one walked. It was insane. I was almost taken out by a trash can and totally got pushed and I think I pushed someone as well trying to protect myself.....

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The only time I could have been dead front center in the front row was the taping of Invisible at Top Of The Rock. I was there all ready to go, and the producers made me move to the side and back because I was too tall and would block the camera.

Back and side was of course 3 feet away from The Edge, as the area where they filmed was very very small. Alas... Opportunity blown.

Anti-heightists.

didn't know you made that event, that's awesome.:applaud:

you can probably sue someone for practicing anti-height-ism.

The GA line last night in Denver was a nightmare. They split us up into 4 giant lines going in so people lost their spots. Then once we cleared security and got our tickets we went around the corner into a closed off hallway. They were yelling at us that they were going to hold us in the hallway for 10 minutes before opening the doors. It was so poorly planned and of course they kept letting GA in so we were totally smooshed. There was a man In front of me holding his little daughter to avoid the crazyness of her getting trampled. They were numbered 2 and 3 for the GA and people that were in the 60s had pushed up to them. The staff blamed it on the band saying they wanted it this way (yeah right!). Then they yelled at us please walk when we open the doors. 300 people smooshed into a hallway ready set go- no one walked. It was insane. I was almost taken out by a trash can and totally got pushed and I think I pushed someone as well trying to protect myself.....

That sucks. Every venue should have gone to the Forum to see how it's done. They had GA down to a science. It was smooth as silk every show.

I agree it was the biggest clusterfuck of a GA line that I have ever seen. I was right next to the guy with his daughter and was worried for her safety. I got pushed into the door on the way in and bruised my arm. The spot on the rail that i wanted was already taken by somebody who was in line behind me in GA. I was still happy with where I ended up, but it was managed very, very poorly. The worst i've ever seen at a U2 show. Agree that The Forum was amazing in every way. Pepsi Center tried to tell us the band wanted it that way and it was a load of shit. I just hope nobody got hurt. IT was pure chaos. By the way, i'm sure we chatted yesterday, since you ended up so close to me on the rail :wave:

:hmm: In brussels they pretty much did the same... some line nazi's did a nice job of organising the line beforehand and everything went pretty smooth, untill venue security fucked it up.
Made 4 rows to go through safety fences. They opened the gates and bam, 3 rows where running and the row #4 we where in didn't go : the barcodescanner was busted, they didn't have a replacement ready, and they had to think about 5 minutes to actally figure out they could just rip the tickts apart.... They held us back for a good 5 to 10 minutes.

It was a bummer but I can't complain. We got going and I ran my arse off.
Even got outer rail spots.

The part where you are getting squashed and not even children are safe sucks. That's the part I was pissed about too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom