All Purpose Pre-Show Lineup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how they did the lines in Montreal did they do a number system like the others or do you have to wait all day?

Happy girls are the prettiest girls... Audrey Hepburn

It was sortof like a hybrid. We made sure we were very early and very visible all day (ie, leaving the line a couple of times to say hi to people not directly in the line/meet the band/grab take-out... but not really leaving the property). But for the most part, we stayed in line all day.

Have no idea what happened the second night as when we passed by to see what was going on people were acting weird (due to some stuff that happened the first night), so we just said hi to who we wanted to say hi to and fucked off to see some sights, eat, etc. Walked in around 7ish and just enjoyed being a bit further back to take in all the visuals.

Awesome thanks so much I am not going but was asking for a friend going to Tuesdays show! Do you remember me you helped me sell a pair of my tickets last tour in Toronto! Lol

Lol k cool I will actually be at the Toronto shows I only have night two but hoping to get night 1 in a ticket drop!

It was sortof like a hybrid. We made sure we were very early and very visible all day (ie, leaving the line a couple of times to say hi to people not directly in the line/meet the band/grab take-out... but not really leaving the property). But for the most part, we stayed in line all day.

This is so weird to me. If there are numbers, why hang around?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

You can't just leave this here without some explanation!

I don't want to get into specifics as last time that happened it turned into a shitfest...suffice it to say that the same ol problems still present themselves with the list and try as they might security still couldn't get it quite right - and they did try, to their credit.

Sent from my ass crack

The number is a failsafe, it's some sort of evidence that you have been sitting in line all day so that if someone tries to cut in front of you, you can say "no look I have a number, I have been here all day just like all the people in front of me". The numbers have historically not been about "let me get a number and get out of here so I can come back 9 hours later." The last couple tours the lines have started days earlier and the system has been implemented where people get a number and come back later but it's usually days before the show not the day of the show. Don't really agree with this new line up system but it is there. When the venue issues wristbands that's a whole different thing. They are implementing and supporting the system. But otherwise if it is a fan created line with numbering as evidence, you are supposed to spend the majority of your time in line. Think of it this way: what if you're the guy that shows up at 12 PM and stays there all afternoon not knowing about the numbering, only to have a bunch of people show up at 5 PM claiming that they belong in front just because they had gotten there at 8 AM got a number at nine and left for the day.

Because there's never really been any official recognition of the numbering system, and most of us have seen even the best system go sideways in a split second? :shrug:

Sent from my ass crack

:up:

The number is a failsafe, it's some sort of evidence that you have been sitting in line all day so that if someone tries to cut in front of you, you can say "no look I have a number, I have been here all day just like all the people in front of me". The numbers have historically not been about "let me get a number and get out of here so I can come back 9 hours later." The last couple tours the lines have started days earlier and the system has been implemented where people get a number and come back later but it's usually days before the show not the day of the show. Don't really agree with this new line up system but it is there. When the venue issues wristbands that's a whole different thing. They are implementing and supporting the system. But otherwise if it is a fan created line with numbering as evidence, you are supposed to spend the majority of your time in line. Think of it this way: what if you're the guy that shows up at 12 PM and stays there all afternoon not knowing about the numbering, only to have a bunch of people show up at 5 PM claiming that they belong in front just because they had gotten there at 8 AM got a number at nine and left for the day.

Exactly. The numbers that were given out were given out to people who arrived 24-18 hrs early ie the night before, whence everyone sort of agreed that sleeping out in the rain would really suck, so some left and caught some zzz's till 5-6am...but then from 6am on, the expectation was that you were there (with short breaks)

Sent from my ass crack

Agreed. Unless you are into dozens of people yelling at you.

I am just doing Chicago 3 and 4. You coming? I have been eyeing Toronto, but I am a responsible adult now with a child and an awesome stay at home husband who parents our child, so no can do. We had a great time in Phoenix together and Chicago will be a girls only show while my husband and my friend's husband hang around Chicago like the awesome dudes they are!

So what I didn't understand was this number system is not actually done by the venue like it is in other places. If the venue were better about it, they could save everyone a lot of strife and dole out numbers, then everyone could chill indoors in the downpour.

Fans making rules out there is totally different. Of course you have to stay - the system has no authority except being present in line.

Yup. Unfortunately not all venues have been smart enough to implement a system to get rid of the loiterers! :lol: this tour has seen a lot more official systems in place, but the unofficial system still exists for the days prior to the official numbering. :crack:

It's funny how critics of the fan-run-secret-GA-line become suddenly OK with it when they find the people running the line and put themselves on the list. Interesting. I would love to hear what happened in Montreal, but Toronto is coming up so we can't talk about it.

:huh: :shifty: :angry:

Eh, never mind. Here's a gif instead.

triawf7dhnnv6gehqchj_zps10jplsmi.gif

I am not assuming you are talking to me and it is probably a general statement. But, for the record, I am not opposed to a fan run line at all when the venue doesn't step up. I have ran one or two back in Vertigo and I think a few people know that. But that was when there was nothing secret about them. The people that started the line showed up the night before with camping supplies, sharpies and a notebook. Everyone else showed up, checked in and got in line. At least in my lines. I never ran a "get a number, go to your hotel come back tomorrow" line.

I have participated in one fan run line where I got a number and went back to my hotel (Toronto 2009) to return at 4:00 AM the day of the show, though I certainly had no intention of getting in front of someone that had been there for hours but had no number. It turned out ok, and I believe you were in that line too? Unless I am totally confusing you with someone else. :)

What I don't love is the lets start line 3 days before and leave representatives in shifts to sign people up. That really does leave the fan that is going to their one and only show and has no clue about the culture in a really awful position (amongst other crappy side effects).

Please read the word 'secret' in my post again. The type of line you refer to Miroslava where people do their time the WHOLE time is completely fair to me. And yes, I was in that line in Toronto and was there the whole damn day, we were like 150 or something lol. I didn't get my number the night before, we just came super early (5 I think?) and ended up with 150ish.

In Montreal - there were a maybe 3 ppl that camped out early the day before and created a list. We showed up the night before around 10:30p, got name on list and number on wrist(49 & 50) and were told to come back next morning around 6a as the area for the line up was literally a construction site. The crew would be back at 6a and then figure out where to keep the lineup.
Friday morning most people on the list returned to 'check in'. Around 8-9a stadium security came by and were fine with the line being 'self policed by fans' until Event security was to arrive at 2p. (even at 9a I would guess there was about 100-120ppl max. No need to camp out days ahead this tour).
Thus ppl were coming and going from the line up to eat or whatever until 2ish...at which time Event security said they would start handing out wristbands via wrist # around 5p. By that time they condensed the line up and everyone pretty much knew the people around them to find their spot and get wristband to enter around 6p. Very civil and organized - no problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom