$300 for Upper Deck - What Are They Smoking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look, U2 could have released the album in the normal way like last time, and it would likely be one of the top selling albums this year. Instead, they did something unique and gave it away to the public for free. Its an experiment and it shouldn't count against them.

True. And they could have released NO album and they'd still have a massive tour ahead of them. And the only reason they gave the record away is because they knew it would not make a significant or lasting dent on the charts or in sales. Yeah, it would have been one of the top 10 records of the year, to be sure. So was NLOTH, and they consider that to be a disappointment. I'm sorry but anyone who thinks the giveaway wasn't a reflection of their confidence in selling records is frankly naive...especially since the band said as much themselves.

Look mate, no worries...you think all those things you listed make U2 uber-relevant, more power to you. You're an excellent fan, in fact a much better one that I am.

THAT is Canadian World Music/Irish Folk artist Loreena McKennitt, who like Mr. Beiber hails from Statford, Ontario (where I was humbled and honoured to spend a season performing at the Shakespeare festival and met Ms. McKennitt). She's quite the talented artist actually.

Here big hit was 1997's "The Mummer's Dance".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxTpvA-pUG0

Very cool - which play did you do? I live an hour and a bit from there, my brother and his family lived there for about a decade, and shamefully, the only play I've ever seen there was the revival of Tommy, last year. We were there a few days after Pete Townshend was in the audience (damned bad timing, Townshend is one of my musical heroes). We saw a preview, a few days before the official opening, and we did get to hear a bit of a talk from Des McAnuff before the performance started, so that was neat.

Note to self - see more plays next season.

Just to derail the thread even further, image is everything.

U2 stopped being relevant to the pop scene a long time ago simply because of their age. They're all visibly old in a dying genre and cannot adapt themselves to the quickly changing pop music tastes without looking even more uncool. The biggest consumers of pop culture today are barely older than 9/11/2001, and only know of the world before then through nolstagia-filled mythology on YouTube.

Every band has a shelf-life of relevance. Ten years is usually it, and somehow U2 exceeded all the odds with nearly 30 years of hits and popularity. I give U2 all the credit they deserve.

Honestly, U2 has a better chance of scoring a hit on the radio by modernizing their sound even further than SOI, going nearly incognito (get off 60 Minutes, GMA, and other crap for old people), and recording and releasing new music frequently.

A major makeover is also due. Looks are everything when it comes to pop culture, and they got through the 80s and 90s because everyone dressed terribly. Stop standing around in black and white. Being stoic and gray was iconic and cool in 1987. Nowadays it looks like you are stuck in 1987. Edge needs to drop the Beanie. It's been 20 years dude. It's OK to be bald, and it's not OK to have a goatee anymore. Bono, wear some fucking contacts. You have no idea how much personality the wrinkles under your eyes bring. Stop wearing leather pants. Stop falling off bikes so that you can lose 20 lbs. Adam. You always look fantastic. Larry. What the fuck, man. Keep working out. Keep your shirt off. You were goddamn sexy in 1993, and you're goddamn sexy now. I need to see more Harleys.

True. And they could have released NO album and they'd still have a massive tour ahead of them. And the only reason they gave the record away is because they knew it would not make a significant or lasting dent on the charts or in sales. Yeah, it would have been one of the top 10 records of the year, to be sure. So was NLOTH, and they consider that to be a disappointment. I'm sorry but anyone who thinks the giveaway wasn't a reflection of their confidence in selling records is frankly naive...especially since the band said as much themselves.

Look mate, no worries...you think all those things you listed make U2 uber-relevant, more power to you. You're an excellent fan, in fact a much better one that I am.

Well, why was U2 relevant, from an objective standpoint in 1987? Ticket sales, album sales, merchandise sales.

Why would 2009 or 2014 be any different unless the band had a significant drop in ticket sales, failed to have one of the 10 biggest selling albums of the year out of the thousands that are released, and people stopped buying their merchandise?

I mean, if your still selling and hitting all the benchmarks you once did decades earlier, why would you not be relevant today?

If U2 is not relevant, then who is from an objective standpoint?

I've always equated relevancy for rock bands with their level of influence on up and coming bands, irrespective of current album or ticket sales.

I'm retaking this thread in the name of Canada's true rock goddess...

alanis_2313103b.jpg

How bout them transparent dangling carrots
How bout that ever elusive "could of"

Words. To. Live. By.

:drool:

Los Angeles
Section 123
$118

Did the system made a mistake or did my pre-sale code gave me some sort of discount? :hmm: I thought these were more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom