$300 for Upper Deck - What Are They Smoking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i can not disagree with you but your comparison is not entirely perfect. U2 is playing multiple dates in many cities. U2 tours a WEE bit more than Baaabarrra - 6 US ones - surprisingly, 4 canuck ones...:cute: she must love us...

Barbara only played two concerts in NY and LA and even then, at what, 3/4 capacity.

find me some actual equivalents to U2's schedule and number of shows charging the same amounts.

i am happy to debate the issue but apples to apples.

Look up the numbers for Justin Timberlake's 20/20 Experience tour. Or if you'd like, pull up the current tours of Taylor Swift or One Direction. One Direction is doing STADIUMS in the US this summer. So that ought to be very comparable to 360 numbers. And TSwift is doing both arenas and stadiums if I recall correctly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Garth Brooks is leaving some of u2's per city records int he dust right with a tour he's starting up. The trick with him doing 5 shows over 3 nights or 7 in 4 nights while selling every seat in the house.

LiveNation has all of the secondary sales market information from TicketsNow (Owned by TicketMaster) They are well aware of what tickets sold for on the secondary market on previous tours and are now pricing the arena to cut out the middleman and get that $300 for themselves, rather than to sell it for $150-$200 and let the brokers make the middle.

People here should be ecstatic that U2 keeps as many low priced tickets available as they do. They could easily charge $150 for GA and they would still sell out right away

The buying habits of people on TM is different than scalper sites. Were more than 2-3 cities selling those $300 balconies?

U2 could have pricey GA, but then fans would get complacent like they do with Bon Jovi or Eagles.

LN made a huge investment in U2 and needs to make the $ back somewhere. No one is forcing you to pay $300. It was very easy to pay $50 for a FC membership and buy the cheaper tiered tickets.

U2 Signs 12-Year Deal With Live Nation | Billboard
LN didn't give u2 much money upfront.

Cheap seats aren't cheap seats if there is a 25-50% fan club markup. Plus there's no guarantee of tickets.

i can not disagree with you but your comparison is not entirely perfect. U2 is playing multiple dates in many cities. U2 tours a WEE bit more than Baaabarrra - 6 US ones - surprisingly, 4 canuck ones...:cute: she must love us...

Barbara only played two concerts in NY and LA and even then, at what, 3/4 capacity.

find me some actual equivalents to U2's schedule and number of shows charging the same amounts.

i am happy to debate the issue but apples to apples.

The Tragically Hip (aka Canada's U2) are charging 33-76 for upper level tickets.

Neil Diamond is charging 66-92 for the same seats.

Bryan Adams, 62-82.

The Who, 68-83.

Fleetwood Mac, 66-118.

Look up the numbers for Justin Timberlake's 20/20 Experience tour.

Justin Timberlake, 63-192, and that's the range for all the tickets (minus VIP shit, of course).
http://www.evenko.ca/en/show/event/justin-timberlake-7363

Lol at comparing the 1/2 Who. They sound like shit these days and havent been relevant in 25 years

Hate to break this to you, but U2 are completely irrelevant and are a classic rock band with new albums nobody cares for, just like the Who and Fleetwood Mac.

If U2/Ticket Monopoly are charging so much based on scalper prices, than the band has a completely different opinion on scaplers than the rest of us do. People hate scalpers because they charge so much for tickets. U2 hate scalpers because the scalpers are getting money that U2 could get...at least that's the basis of the arguement some make.

It blows my mind so see so many people rush to the defense of this band and their absurd ticket prices.

And as someone pointed out, the cheap floor seats are offset by the fan club membership cost, so they go from $60 to $110 (is the membership still $50?). And given how the vast majority of the tickets are really expensive, the odds of getting a floor seat are basically nonexistent.

Based on the state of the global economy, U2 have priced out the majority of their fanbase and the arena is going to be filled with rich people who are there to be seen and hear some hits. It's basically going to be the platinum section of a Leafs game. Hockey fans in Toronto will know what I'm talking about.

Hate to break this to you, but U2 are completely irrelevant and are a classic rock band with new albums nobody cares for, just like the Who and Fleetwood Mac.

Since 2000, U2 has sold around 25 million albums of new material (Not including SOI)

Fleetwood 2 million

The Who a couple hundred thousand

One of those is apparently more relevant than the others.

Isnt it more then 25 million?

Atyclb- 12 million
Htdaab- 10 million
Nloth - 5 million

27 million, plus quite a few top 20 hits and 3 number one singles(uk chart)

If U2/Ticket Monopoly are charging so much based on scalper prices, than the band has a completely different opinion on scaplers than the rest of us do. People hate scalpers because they charge so much for tickets. U2 hate scalpers because the scalpers are getting money that U2 could get...at least that's the basis of the arguement some make.

It blows my mind so see so many people rush to the defense of this band and their absurd ticket prices.

And as someone pointed out, the cheap floor seats are offset by the fan club membership cost, so they go from $60 to $110 (is the membership still $50?). And given how the vast majority of the tickets are really expensive, the odds of getting a floor seat are basically nonexistent.

Based on the state of the global economy, U2 have priced out the majority of their fanbase and the arena is going to be filled with rich people who are there to be seen and hear some hits. It's basically going to be the platinum section of a Leafs game. Hockey fans in Toronto will know what I'm talking about.

Well, 30 million people did download the new album. Can you name any other artist with a new album that was downloaded 30 million times? I'd say U2 a very relevant. No other artist can sell tickets, merchandise and albums combined like U2.

As for ticket prices the band charged at least $250 for 10,000 tickets per show on 360. On average these tickets were further from the band than the majority of seats in the arena because the football field is so large in a stadium compared with the tiny floor in an arena.
The band charged thousands of tickets at the $250 level for relatively far away seats on 360. Now they are charging roughly that same price for seats that typically closer in arenas. People did not complain on 360, but now they are complaining on this tour? Makes absolutely no sense.

Well, 30 million people did download the new album. Can you name any other artist with a new album that was downloaded 30 million times? I'd say U2 a very relevant. No other artist can sell tickets, merchandise and albums combined like U2.

There are many arguments you can make for U2's continued relevancy, but the number of people who downloaded this record is not one of them.

And there are contemporary artists who can and do compete with U2 in selling tickets, merchandise and records in huge numbers. Some of them don't even give their records away for free.

As for ticket prices the band charged at least $250 for 10,000 tickets per show on 360. On average these tickets were further from the band than the majority of seats in the arena because the football field is so large in a stadium compared with the tiny floor in an arena.
The band charged thousands of tickets at the $250 level for relatively far away seats on 360. Now they are charging roughly that same price for seats that typically closer in arenas. People did not complain on 360, but now they are complaining on this tour? Makes absolutely no sense.

Yes it does makes sense. If you have a 60k seat stadium, 10k @ $250 or more is less than 20% of the ticket pool. Now we're seeing practically every lower bowl seat (and some uppers) near $300, and that's not including the $600 'VIP' seats.

My point is that the 20% is probably more like 50% now, and that is more that many are willing or able to pay. Distance isn't really the gripe for some - it's affordability.

No other artist can sell tickets, merchandise and albums combined like U2.

ACDC & Floyd/Roger do that combination well.

Producton on the upcoming tour will be about $50mill less than the 360 tour. is that money going straight into their pocket?

You are constantly defeating your own arguments.

U2 is not as relevant as they once were, as relevant as they think they are, or as relevant as many of their fans think they still are.

But they're a significantly larger draw than Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Neil Diamond or the remnants of what was once The Who.

Using them as your argument is just plain silly.

Comparing U2's draw to the Tragically Hip is simply an asinine statement.

ACDC & Floyd/Roger do that combination well.

Producton on the upcoming tour will be about $50mill less than the 360 tour. is that money going straight into their pocket?

7.3 million tickets on 360 versus 660k (so far) is a big difference.
Waters had and a fairly cheap production - a cardboard wall and some cool projectors.

U2 and Live Nation are only out to lunch with these prices if there are empty seats in the arena. If not they priced things correctly.

Maybe they could have done 1 show in each city and then the tickets would have been 900 instead of 300 - would you be complaining then likely yes, no win situation. If they priced the tickets too low and it sold out instatly many of you wouldnt get tickets at all.

Time will tell if they outpriced themselves - it also has to do with the age of the fanbase and generally the perception that U2s fanbase has more disposable income then most.

I am sure that the dates on this first leg will sell out eventually. The question is on additional legs will they continue to do so at this price? Maybe not - but still it comes down to a personal choice.

Isnt it more then 25 million?

Atyclb- 12 million
Htdaab- 10 million
Nloth - 5 million

27 million, plus quite a few top 20 hits and 3 number one singles(uk chart)

They haven't had a hit in 10 years, and Vertigo was only a "hit" because it was in that ad. I only heard it on the radio for a couple days when it was released.

NLOTH sold poorly, and SOI was going to do worse. They knew that. They're just another old band loved by Rolling Stone and the Grammy committee.

Actually, I'd say that Arcade Fire are now Canada's U2. But yeah, not the Hip.

They have the draw now, yes...but not the legacy just yet. My point about Rush and Bryan Adams is who else from Canada has been out since the 70s/early 80s, has sold hundreds of millions of records, and can still sell out arenas in short order? Nothing for nothing, Arcade Fire just played Massey Hall it seems like just a while ago. U2 hasn't done a room like that in, what, 30 years? Similarly, Rush and Bryan Adams..

Sent from my ass crack

What the actual fuck.

The Tragically Hip are decidedly not Canada's U2.

If any band is, that would be Rush. Or Bryan Adams for solo artist.

Sent from my ass crack

What the actual, actual fuck. The Hip are massive, probably more popular than Rush and Bryan Adams. I thought you were from Toronto - haven't you listened to the radio in the last 20 years?

The reason I said Canada's U2 is because people outside of Canada have no idea how big this band is. Arcade Fire aren't Canada's U2, they're just the new U2.

What the actual, actual fuck. The Hip are massive, probably more popular than Rush and Bryan Adams.

This is quite possibly the dumbest thing you've ever written here. I'm sorry, not only are they nowhere NEAR as big as Bryan Adams and Rush...seriously? Bryan Adams??? Lmao....they massively suck balls. Just abhorrent crap, mostly outside of one or two songs we've had shoved down our throats to the point of being sick. I cringe every time someone refers to them as somehow representative of Canadian rock.

Sent from my ass crack

Back
Top Bottom