2016 Rumour Dates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really U2 are just at their best playing on their own stage , in their own context. I don't really know why U2 felt the need to do Glastonbury, instead of just having a few UK dates on the 2010 tour, which would've yielded more money than one night at Glastonbury anyway. I hope they learn their lesson and don't mess with festivals ever again.

We're OT, however I still consider Glastonbury the best U2 gig I've ever been

I just started watching it. I see that they messed up the intro for EBTTRT, but otherwise it seems like a typical U2 concert... Aka Awesome. I think people were expecting way too much. It was sandwiched between 2 US gigs, in the middle of a lengthy tour. They didn't really have time to craft this perfect Glastonbury only show, they just played the songs they had been playing on tour, the same way, with many of the same screen visuals. Just a typical U2 show.

As far as on topic, i sure as FUCK hope Ohio gets a 2016 show.

I just started watching it. I see that they messed up the intro for EBTTRT, but otherwise it seems like a typical U2 concert... Aka Awesome. I think people were expecting way too much. It was sandwiched between 2 US gigs, in the middle of a lengthy tour. They didn't really have time to craft this perfect Glastonbury only show, they just played the songs they had been playing on tour, the same way, with many of the same screen visuals. Just a typical U2 show.

I should have added it looks a lot better on TV than in was it the flesh.

It wasn't like a typical U2 show, because the crowd was annoyed and a tid bit aggro up front. Morrissey was bitching on U2 fans before the bands set even started. And people where squashed up front. So sqaushed me and the people around me (a good 15 rows back from front row) literally couldn't move, jump etc. You can see it on video too, hardly any action going on.
It wasn't that we didn't want to. Just that we couldn't.

Then there was the whole Bono tax protest thing going on in the back of the crowd by some obnoxious art-troupe.

Also. In a typical U2 show, would have U2 playing around with the crowd. But they couldn't do that at all because of the downpour and huge HUGE gap between stage and crowd.

I think they did a more than decent job considering the circumstances. But It wasn't the legendary set it could have been if luck and maybe more preparation time, where a bit more on their side.

I'm glad to hear you liked it though. :up: Agreed with Kevin. It looked more awesome on TV.

Hmm, that would be pretty nice actually, giving me a good year and a half to save up for my trip across the world. :D

Though seriously, if they do another ticket sale round during the holiday season, I'm gonna cry. That was really, really inconvenient. :crack:
Amen!

Does U2 need to play festivals? No. However, if they want relevance, they probably should. Every big artist now plays them. It's a great way to play in front of people who normally wouldn't pay to see you. I can't speak for Glastonbury, but the crowd at Coachella just wants a good show. They don't start petitions to get artists off the bill, though arguably should have in Drake's case. Now, I think it's most likely to see U2 at Lolla or ACL given the Live Nation connection, but since it kicks off the U.S. festival season, I think Coachella would be a great showcase.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

You have to bring your A-game at Glastonbury. U2 didn't quite hit that mark for a very specific high profile single show that was at least 18 months in the planning stages.

The 2011 tour only really had 1 show every 3 days. Hardly grueling and plenty of time to work up a Festival set. They worked on the 2002 Super Bowl set on some of the late 2011 Elevation shows, they worked on the 2009 RRHOF25 show during the Vancouver 360 soundcheck and twice on the Popmart tour they did MTV award shows with unique sets that came off much stronger than Gloastonbury.

I really U2 are just at their best playing on their own stage , in their own context. I don't really know why U2 felt the need to do Glastonbury, instead of just having a few UK dates on the 2010 tour, which would've yielded more money than one night at Glastonbury anyway. I hope they learn their lesson and don't mess with festivals ever again.

ACDC, McCartney and Springsteen do just fine on festival stages in the past couple years. What's the excuse for U2? McCartney usually does a soundcheck the day before the festival starts, which is why he usually does the first day.

In all/most cities on u2's current tour they've talked about how they don't need all the fancy production. Yet they really haven't proved themselves with a modest production full length show since Love Town. They killed it during some of the "club" shows that are about an hour, but they haven't killed it without the "crutch" of production.

Glastonbury was about the prestige and not the money. I'd rather them do Bonaroo over Coachella, plus they could make more money from that 'Roo over what U2 could do in the Nashville area in 2016.

A massive amount of demand for U2 exists in Europe. The only way for them to meet that demand and profit accordingly is to play stadiums there next summer.

The last time u2 could satisfy European demand with arenas was probably prior to them playing Live Aid.

And that somehow isn't/wasn't true for Bruce/McCartney/ACDC/Prince/Elton?

It's also a way to remedy the longstanding popular and sometimes true stereotype that u2 band members are full of themselves.
I think it comes down to those acts simply being better technical musicians... thus more able to adapt to all circumstances.

You brought up the Rock Hall of Fame earlier, as a positive for U2 in festival like atmospheres...

Try comparing what U2 did to what Springsteen did.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

U2 are good at one thing: writing/recording U2 songs, and playing U2 concerts for U2 fans. Like someone else said, they're not technical, well trained musicians who can adapt to different circumstances. It's the same reason U2 have never really been a good cover band.

I guess playing festivals like Coachella, Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, etc would open them up to younger audiences who only know them as the band that forced them a free album. It might make some hipster requestion his stance. But it doesn't sound like U2 won many new fans at Glastonbury. Seems like it's widely accepted to have been a disaster. That said, I wouldn't go see U2 at a festival unless it was in Ohio, or if I had no other options (aka if it was an in between albums-tours type of thing). But I live in Ohio, so the only festivals we get are country festivals, and NO THANKS.

Does U2 need to play festivals? No. However, if they want relevance, they probably should. Every big artist now plays them. It's a great way to play in front of people who normally wouldn't pay to see you. I can't speak for Glastonbury, but the crowd at Coachella just wants a good show. They don't start petitions to get artists off the bill, though arguably should have in Drake's case. Now, I think it's most likely to see U2 at Lolla or ACL given the Live Nation connection, but since it kicks off the U.S. festival season, I think Coachella would be a great showcase.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

How about Bonnaroo? The festival owners have talked about wanting to book U2 for the fest in a few of their Reddit AMA's. I think it'd be very cool to see them at the farm. And if they are in the US at all next spring/summer, I really think they'd play at one of the big fests in America, especially considering how they're wanting to reach a larger, younger market. I think it'd also help reach those people who just look at U2 as the guys who shoved an album onto their iPhones and despise them for it.

Last edited:
U2 would probably do well at the Global Citizens Festival though. Its only 4 acts (Pearl Jam, Coldplay, Beyonce, Ed Sheeran this year). And a charity thing - perfect for Bono to go into speech mode.

You have to win free tickets too so no need to worry about scalpers! :sexywink: I want them to play it in 2016 mainly because I wonder what these line nazi's I read about would do with having to win tickets and not being able to form a list...

Last edited:
If the rumour of waiting until 2017 for Australia is true then it would have to be stadiums, otherwise they would slot it in before May. They won't still be doing this arena show by 2017 surely.

Sent from my SM-G900I using U2 Interference mobile app

If the rumour of waiting until 2017 for Australia is true then it would have to be stadiums, otherwise they would slot it in before May. They won't still be doing this arena show by 2017 surely.

Sent from my SM-G900I using U2 Interference mobile app

I received a comment at U2gigs claiming that Australia will be 2017 and indoors. No details on what the source for that was, though.

I received a comment at U2gigs claiming that Australia will be 2017 and indoors. No details on what the source for that was, though.

Joe O'Herlihy told someone on here about it being 2017. Honestly don't know why they would leave it that long though. Why not slot it in before next year's Euro and US dates?

My belief is that there's no way U2 would do many festivals if any at all. They seem to be creatures of habit kinda controlling everything that they possibly can, meaning sound, lights and sound checks. My question is at this point of the game why do festivals? In my minds eye the 5 shows I attended the band was totally engaged with the audience, there was no "winning over" the fans of other bands or trying t be cool with the "hipsters" you would face at festivals. Also, the band and especially Bono is such a lightning rod that you get the "tax evasion" thing and the over all hatred of the man. They are NOT like or will ever be like Bruce, Pearl Jam or McCartney.

If they're still touring in 2017 I think the odds are pretty likely they'll have a new album by then. I can't imagine them touring SOI alone for that long. Though if they didn't have a new batch of songs to play they'd probably be driven to explore the catalog more out of boredom.

If they're still touring in 2017 I think the odds are pretty likely they'll have a new album by then. I can't imagine them touring SOI alone for that long. Though if they didn't have a new batch of songs to play they'd probably be driven to explore the catalog more out of boredom.

That's what we all thought when 360 was pushed back to summer 2011.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

U2 would probably do well at the Global Citizens Festival though. Its only 4 acts (Pearl Jam, Coldplay, Beyonce, Ed Sheeran this year). And a charity thing - perfect for Bono to go into speech mode.

You have to win free tickets too so no need to worry about scalpers! :sexywink: I want them to play it in 2016 mainly because I wonder what these line nazi's I read about would do with having to win tickets and not being able to form a list...

Bono's daughter Jordan works for Global Citizen, but I am not sure that would make it more likely or less likely that U2 would ever play the festival. :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

Joe O'Herlihy told someone on here about it being 2017. Honestly don't know why they would leave it that long though. Why not slot it in before next year's Euro and US dates?

After Paris, I think they will have a break, finish the next album, release in March, back on the road in May in Europe, NA, S.America, Oceania to finish the Tour

After Paris, I think they will have a break, finish the next album, release in March, back on the road in May in Europe, NA, S.America, Oceania to finish the Tour

Think they will definitely use the time to work on it but I don't think we'll see the album until Fall 2016.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom