2016 Rumour Dates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But they are having that special on HBO in November -- maybe that's the end of the arena tour and on to something else? I don't know. Have they ever had a concert film in middle of tour before?

But they are having that special on HBO in November -- maybe that's the end of the arena tour and on to something else? I don't know. Have they ever had a concert film in middle of tour before?

Every concert film since Popmart with the exception of the 3D film.

ZooTV: video recorded on last leg of five.
Popmart: third leg of four.
Elevation: first (Boston) and second (Slane) legs of two.
Vertigo: first (Chicago) and fourth (U2 3D) legs of five.
360: second leg of seven.

I meant release date. Aren't most or all released after tour is over?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I know I bought the Rose Bowl DVD before I saw them in 2011, not sure about the other tours though as I was too young.

Boston Elevation came out 3-4 weeks before the tour ended. Other tours had PPV broadcast or TV specials before the tour was completed.

Chicago Vertigo had 4-5 song clips aired on TV before the 1st leg was even done.

I bet they'd wait until around the time of the specials on HBO to announce anything.

Thanks for letting us know about the Philly plan. Wonder if they'll start on East Coast around then or earlier.

Wouldn't it be awesome if the tickets go on sale right before Christmas again! :happy:

:angry:

Tampa is, in fact, the only city in Florida to have a show on every U2 tour to visit the state. (Though every tour has also hit somewhere in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area.) In saying that, these visits have always been for just one show. They've never done multiple gigs in Tampa, not even multiple gigs spread across two legs. They come for one show on one leg and that's it.

Their track record in Florida looks like this: U2 shows by state - Florida (USA) - U2 on tour

I will point out that Lakeland on Zoo TV is right near Tampa -40ish minutes . I grew up in Lakeland-the show was a few days after my 13th birthday. But I was too dumb to be interested:-(.
I may never understand why they started Zoo TV there!

So, the possible scenario for next year is:

(Feb-May): Europe - arenas
(June - September): US - arenas

I respectfully disagree. Tremendous demand exists for U2's live product in Europe. Further, Europe lacks the extensive network of large arenas in the 18K-20K seat range like those found in North America. That means they can profitably do stadiums in Europe, and perhaps more significantly, need to do stadiums there. Seasonal conditions dictate that this run must take place in the summer of 2016.

Here's my bet:

Winter-Spring 2016: "other geographies" such as Asia, Australia, and Africa.

Summer 2016: Europe, with a stadium show.

Late Summer-Fall 2016: back to the US, with a concentration on the not-yet-serviced midwest and south. Stadiums in mega-markets such as NY metro, Boston, Chicago, and LA are a slim possibility (maybe even a stadium date in So. Florida?).

Late fall 2016: South America.

We'll know for sure when concrete news emerges from the U2 camp.

I know the Rose Bowl was broadcast live on U2ube in October of 2009. It was released in June of 2010, on the same day that the 2010 US leg was supposed to begin in Salt Lake City. Tour didn't happen, DVD still did.

Vertigo Chicago DVD was filmed in May 2005 and was released sometime before Christmas, Novemberish I think. They still had a good bit of the 2nd North American leg to do, as well as the Mexico/South America/Australia/NZ/Japan/Hawaii shows.

So it's definitely not unheard of for U2 to release a live DVD during the tour. It used to be that they released it AFTER the tour, but in this and age of youtube videos, everyone has seen the shows anyway, might as well use it as a promo\ for future legs of the tour.

Wouldn't it be awesome if the tickets go on sale right before Christmas again! :happy:

:angry:

I feel you :sad: I have two jobs currently, and one of them stops during Christmas. Holidays are expensive enough by themselves..

Wintertime is pretty fucked up time to buy tickets and make travel plans.
:happy:

I respectfully disagree. Tremendous demand exists for U2's live product in Europe. Further, Europe lacks the extensive network of large arenas in the 18K-20K seat range like those found in North America. That means they can profitably do stadiums in Europe, and perhaps more significantly, need to do stadiums there. Seasonal conditions dictate that this run must take place in the summer of 2016.

Here's my bet:

Winter-Spring 2016: "other geographies" such as Asia, Australia, and Africa.

Summer 2016: Europe, with a stadium show.

Late Summer-Fall 2016: back to the US, with a concentration on the not-yet-serviced midwest and south. Stadiums in mega-markets such as NY metro, Boston, Chicago, and LA are a slim possibility (maybe even a stadium date in So. Florida?).

Late fall 2016: South America.

We'll know for sure when concrete news emerges from the U2 camp.

I like your logic, however I disagree. This seems to be an arena made tour. Part of the thrill is the intimacy, its just part of it. More so than Vertigo, probably as much as Elevation.

I can't seem them translating this show to stadiums, I just don't. Maybe for Dublin or the exception, they will create a makeshift stage (Like Slane Castle - which looked disproportionate) , but overall, I say they are sticking to Arenas.

Having said this, I agree Australia and Asia have a great shot in early 2016, they have good Arenas in place.

After: Europe and USA again, both in Arenas. Not sure about which first though since doing Arenas in the U.S is very difficult during the fall/winter because of the NBA and NHL.
(Although they did manage it during Vertigo leg 3).

The victims this tour I think will be South America. Two reasons:

- Poor arena infrastructure

- The currency depreciations some countries like Brazil, Argentina and Colombia are experiencing against the Dollar. THIS IS A BIG FACTOR. Imagine if a G.A ticket in north american went from $86 to $270. That would discourage plenty right? That's what's happening in latin america.

The depreciation in latin america's currencies of course not only affects ticket prices, but also logistics, shipments, salaries etc. Its a significant issue.

Last edited:
I agree this stage is very "arena-centric". However, if they want to, I'm sure they can figure out a way to make it transfer to stadiums. South American and Europe definitely need stadiums to meet the demand. They could still do stadiums in several markets in the US and Canada.

Rumors seem to suggest that U2 will be in Australia in early 2016, and that they'll be back in the US in May, with Philadelphia being specifically rumored for June. My guess is Europe after that, late summer/fall, and then South America at the end of 2016 or beginning of 2017. Asia?

We'll just have to see!!!! I just can't wait to hopefully see them again next year!

http://blogsdelagente.com/blogfiles/betolandoni/Madonna005.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ae/Madonna_-_Sticky_and_Sweet_Tour_7.jpg

Madonna used this rigging in 2008. Since the u2 I&E screen looks quite light in weight Id' say it's possible to use the screen outdoors without needing a ceiling or 360 type structure.

http://www.studiobling.com/images/p...080-RollingStones-VoodooLounge-94-A-1056w.jpg

Rolling Stones in 1994 also used a large over hanging piece of staging. The trick to this and maybe the Madonna stage are huge tanks of water(swimming pool amount of water) under the stage used as a counter balance.

Given the Oseary management or Mark Fisher design team connections with both past tours, they are viable options.

Well, you could do indoor stadiums, which may have the roof capacity for some of that. Although I'm not sure how much weight those could hold. But then you bring in places like Indy and Detroit that have that capability.

As for concert videos, I specifically remember watching the ZOO TV show from Sydney on pay-per-view the night of the show, which they then released on VHS a few months later. Although that was the end of the tour anyway so I think it doesn't prove any point really except that I'm old.

I've heard specifically, from a very good source, that they will play Philadelphia in June of 2016.

No word on venue. But this source had never steered me wrong before.

Headache, after seeing you on stage with UF last week, I'm just going to assume your good source is either Edge or Adam. Please don't correct me even though I'm totally wrong. ;)

Last edited:
For the moment, I just want some dates. I held my (now in the limbo) presale codes for the Dublin dates, and now I have nothing.

If they are indeed going to do some "acoustic gigs" with guests in Dublin, I'll pass. No way I'm going to spend that amount of cash to see the band busking in 3Arena. I'd rather wait for an actual concert in third leg.

About South America, I can only tell for Brasil, but apparently the crisis isn't affecting the show business very much. Maroon 5, Coldplay and Rolling Stones are in the line for 2016, as well the festivals like lollapalozza. I don't see U2 in first semester because of the others concerts, but some rumours are pointing to a Sep/Oct/Nov date.

Unless the situation becomes unsustainable, I don't see U2 not doing SA concerts.

- The currency depreciations some countries like Brazil, Argentina and Colombia are experiencing against the Dollar. THIS IS A BIG FACTOR. Imagine if a G.A ticket in north american went from $86 to $270. That would discourage plenty right? That's what's happening in latin america.

The depreciation in latin america's currencies of course not only affects ticket prices, but also logistics, shipments, salaries etc. Its a significant issue.

Is this affecting other acts like Pearl Jam, which has dates scheduled?

On the last 2 tours the average U2 SA ticket prices were higher than those on the rest of the tour (local promoters charged more). So prices may be even higher.

Matt is still Alive? Holy shit!

Maybe they'll finally go somewhere else in Asia! I wonder if U2 will ever play South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, India, Indonesia, Philippines, etc.? I know of so many much more obscure bands who have successfully done surprisingly large tours of Asia, especially southeast Asia. I can't believe that - apart from the never-finalised India dates for War and Singapore date for Popmart - U2 don't seem to have even bothered to contemplate touring Asia outside of Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom