2016 Rumour Dates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One possibility is that they promised the LA Forum 8 shows, and were only able to sell 5. They could possibly throw in 3 more shows next year to fulfill the 8 shows. My guess is they could sell out 3 shows there if they wait a year.

The main reason it makes sense to start the 2016 tour in Europe in February is because of the fact that the stage will ALREADY be in Europe, following the conclusion of the November 2015 shows. Just put it in a warehouse for 10 weeks, finish SOE, and then keep playing in Europe, and then come back to the US in the summer, as rumors have already suggested they'll do. Then do South America at the end of the year, in stadiums, and then Australia/NZ/Japan/South Africa/Wherever at the beginning of 2017. Then the European stadium leg in the summer of 2017. I can't see North America getting a stadium leg, but maybe I'm wrong. All I know is I will see them if they do!

They need to go to Asia. Except for Japan, they haven't done any Asian show!

Agreed. Most major touring bands are doing arena shows in China, Macau, Hong Kong, South Korea, Philippines, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia and of course the United Arab Emirates. In addition to Japan. If Muse can sell out arenas in these countries, surely U2 can as well.

I'm sure it's expensive to hop the stage from island to island to island, essentially. As far as I know, there's only 1 stage touring this time. Weren't there 3 claws? Things like that make logistics harder.

You know what's embarrassing? I went to one of the MSG Vertigo shows and totally cannot remember which one I went to. It was in October.

It was the one where he gave a shout-out to Alicia Keys during Still Haven't Found, and I was all happy because I was all "omg, he said "Alicia this is for you" and I'LL FUCKING TAKE IT."

The first five were all around Columbus Day weekend I believe, and the last two were the week of Thanksgiving.

I can't remember much about each one individually either, other than that the October shows had Mary J do One at one of them and the November shows had Patti Smith.

I wanna say the shows were Friday Saturday Monday Tuesday Friday in October :hmm:

That Monday show was my favorite show up until the show MetLife on 360

Haha remember that fucking weird NYC show that ended with Instant Karma? Patti Smith walked off during the song, then Bono followed her, then they came back and finished the song, and left for good at the end. I think 40 was on the printed set to close but wasn't played.

You know what's embarrassing? I went to one of the MSG Vertigo shows and totally cannot remember which one I went to. It was in October.

It was the one where he gave a shout-out to Alicia Keys during Still Haven't Found, and I was all happy because I was all "omg, he said "Alicia this is for you" and I'LL FUCKING TAKE IT."

Not 100% certain, but u2.com says Alicia (Keys) was at NYC2 on Oct10 2005:

And Lou [Reed] is not the only famous face loving the vibe tonight: Alicia Keys is here, along with Patti Smith and Michael Stipe. Then there's Christina Applegate, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Peter Sarsgard and Julian Schnabel... and probably a crowd of others we should have recognised but missed.

I was on the rail for the Patti Smith vertigo show. She was a spitter alrighty. I'm glad I wasn't center for that show. And I think I didn't go to all the NYC Vertigo shows. However, I can't remember. THey all blend into one I think. I don't think my wife got to see the Zoo Station encore opener, though. Her loss.

I was a 2016 Stadium show. Will a screen that goes from the 20yard line to the 20 yard line. They can donate to one of the indoor stadiums after the tour is over... The 2011 U2360 show at MetLife was one of the best. (Also only one of 4 U2 concerts to have 26 songs!)

This. Australia is over stadiums.

I question also whether there will be demand. U2 is pretty much out if people's consciousness in Australia today. If they did stadiums it'd be close to PopMart all over again.

I think they'd sell just fine. I just really hope they give arenas a go. Popmart was the last time they did it here. I've only ever seen them in stadiums and I'd really like them to do arenas. I don't see them losing that much money :shrug:

So I just read this article... :: crossing fingers ::

U2 at the Forum: 5 thoughts on the band's final show - LA Times

Check out #5....
5. This likely isn’t the last we’ll see of the Innocence and Experience tour. Though dates have been announced only through mid-November, Bono said the band is “considering coming back” in 2016. “There have to be some very good reasons to leave your family,” he told me. “Songs are at the top of that list, and then shows. If they’re really great, and you really feel it’s something special, then it’s worth all the hassle.”

Mark my words: U2 will spend summer 2016 in stadiums in Europe. The demand there is sufficient to warrant a stadium run, and the limited number of arena dates already scheduled for the Continent bear out this scenario.

The Vertigo stadium rig will, in all likelihood, be repurposed for this run. It's paid for, and is a hell of lot simpler and FAR more economical to futz with than the 360 rig.

No idea where they will spend the winter, spring, and fall, but they will spend the summer mopping up stray Eurodollars.

Texstones

I think they'd sell just fine. I just really hope they give arenas a go. Popmart was the last time they did it here. I've only ever seen them in stadiums and I'd really like them to do arenas. I don't see them losing that much money :shrug:

I think you mean Lovetown. :wink:

Apart from the Perth Popmart gig that squeezed into the Burswood Dome, the last time U2 did Australian arenas was in 1989. Hell, they haven't played anywhere indoors in Adelaide or anywhere in New Zealand since 1984. And was the National Tennis Centre in Melbourne (aka Rod Laver Arena now) roofed back in 1988, or was it an open tennis stadium back then?

texstones; said:
The Vertigo stadium rig will, in all likelihood, be repurposed for this run. It's paid for, and is a hell of lot simpler and FAR more economical to futz with than the 360 rig.

Huh 10 years on would the Vertigo stadium setup still exist? Surely the bits that could have been repurposed would have been separated and sold off years ago. And the custom stuff would have been junked since by itself it would have no purpose.

No talk about 2016 Festivals?

Will they have to change their setlists for any Chinese gig since government has final approval?

Will they do single show arena markets? I can see them doing 2 in Calgary or 2 in Portland but not splitting it Calgary/Edmonton and Seattle/Portland.

One possibility is that they promised the LA Forum 8 shows, and were only able to sell 5. They could possibly throw in 3 more shows next year to fulfill the 8 shows. My guess is they could sell out 3 shows there if they wait a year.

Forum sign said 83,000 tickets sold over 5 shows. 16.6k per night in a place that should hold 18k per show.

Does the 360 rig exist or was it sold for scrap? I've also wondered if the mainstage was the same one from Elevation that was recycled from Zoo indoor/LoveTown. Vertigo was a new stage.

Will they have to change their setlists for any Chinese gig since government has final approval?

I know a band who toured China, sent in a bunch of songs, got approval to play them - and then proceeded to play setlists with whatever the hell they felt like.

But they were playing to tiny clubs of about 100-200 people, so they could get away with it. A band of U2's stature, probably not.

Mark my words: U2 will spend summer 2016 in stadiums in Europe. The demand there is sufficient to warrant a stadium run, and the limited number of arena dates already scheduled for the Continent bear out this scenario.

No idea where they will spend the winter, spring, and fall, but they will spend the summer mopping up stray Eurodollars.

Texstones

Since when has this band been in the business of reusing previously used stage set ups?

If they are playing stadiums at any point, it will be with a stage design to match what they are currently doing in arenas; not the Vertigo set with a new set of paint

There was a rumour getting around last year of a festival date rumoured for Portugal in 2016. That was at the same the Croke Park 2016 rumours were going around.

Sent from my SM-G900I using U2 Interference mobile app

Texstones

I can honestly see them using the Vertigo outdoor end stage, and then having the ramp leading to the "E-stage", and then they'd have to come up with a way to hang the long screen. It could definitely be done. If they don't figure out a way to do stadiums, they will never meet demand in Europe. South America doesn't have enough decent arenas to successfully do an arena tour down there. I honestly believe if they just do another 40 show arena leg in North America next year, demand will be satisfied. Australia might need to go back to arenas for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom