2016 Rumour Dates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any chance U2 will play West Virginia before the end of their career?

Doubt it. But if the band did a stadium US tour, Milan Puskar Stadium is probably a big enough venue (60,000 seats) But due to the lack of a market in the area, it would be a long shot.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I would have to think next North American leg would have to have more 2 night stands, not as many, if any 4 nighters, and the much debated 1 night stand in a city.

A lot would depend on if they were to reduce the prices for the lower level seats from the low $300s to the low $200s (with fees) - i.e. similar to prices in a lot of Europe. With the stronger dollar, there may be more room to do that.

Is there any chance U2 will play West Virginia before the end of their career?

I hear the next North American leg will only feature dates in Yukon, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, West Virginia, the US Virgin Islands, St Pierre and Miquelon, Nunavut, and Prince Edward Island.

The southern US gets fucked again, soz. The gigs in Iqaluit are going to be off the hook though!

I hear the next North American leg will only feature dates in Yukon, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, West Virginia, the US Virgin Islands, St Pierre and Miquelon, Nunavut, and Prince Edward Island.

The southern US gets fucked again, soz. The gigs in Iqaluit are going to be off the hook though!

Well, Metallica has managed to play every single state in the United States. Of course that means playing Ice Hockey rinks with a capacity of only 5,000 in some places. Come on U2, give places like Arkansas and Delaware a concert!

Little Rock, Arkansas actually has an 18,000 seat arena that opened in 1999. So they have an appropriate venue, I just don't think U2 could fill an arena in Little Rock.

Boise, ID has the Idaho Center, which holds around 13,000, and was built in 1997.

Fargo, ND has the Fargodome, which holds around 22,000. Even Bruce Springsteen and the Rolling Stones have played there.

Birmingham, AL has the Jefferson Coliseum, which can hold 19,000.

Manchester, NH has the Verizon Wireless Arena, which holds 12,000.

Des Moines, IA has Wells Fargo Arena, holding 17,000.

Wichita, KS has Intrust Bank Center, which holds 15,000.

Morgantown, WV has the WVU Coliseum, holds 14,000

Delaware has... the Firefly Music Festival, which is gaining in popularity each year, and gathering bigger acts.

It's not that a lot of these cities don't have the arenas, it's that U2 probably couldn't sell them out.

When people bitch about U2 not playing near them, I think of this classic bit.

In other worlds, move to where the U2 shows are.

I think KC is a sure bet as it's been years. Dallas for sure though and Minneapolis so KC fans who are diehards could travel to those shows. But the Sprint Center is big enough for two nights. Swift is doing two nights this month.

Kansas City is not a big U2 city. 22,000 on POPMART, and then they didn't even sell out 1 arena show on the 3rd leg of elevation. Ever since POPMART U2 put a lot of importance on selling out their shows, but it's really not that big of a deal. Springsteen plays to 3/4 full arenas all the time, nobody thinks much about it.

I think the real question is will they bother with cities like KC, St. Louis, Columbus, etc, where one show would suffice? I sure hope so, but I'm not optimistic about it.

I dont usually post on here but Acrobat the set design and production on this tour make playing one show not financially feasible along with logistics and timeframes (set up, tear down, moving on to the next city, etc.). I remember Bono saying that playing residencies allowed them to have a much crazier production. That means in 2016 they will only be playing markets in which they can do at least 2 nights in a row, and honestly, there probably won't even be many of those. I would bet my money on more 4-5-6 night residencies in major markets.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using U2 Interference mobile app

I dont usually post on here but Acrobat the set design and production on this tour make playing one show not financially feasible along with logistics and timeframes (set up, tear down, moving on to the next city, etc.). I remember Bono saying that playing residencies allowed them to have a much crazier production. That means in 2016 they will only be playing markets in which they can do at least 2 nights in a row, and honestly, there probably won't even be many of those. I would bet my money on more 4-5-6 night residencies in major markets.

I appreciate your points but wasn't The Claw a big production to put up and tear down in one night? Or was the fact that there were several claws helped that issue?

A single sold out show on the I&E tour grossed roughly 1.5 -2.2 million. I wonder if that's enough money to do a single night and still be profitable?

I wonder how many 4+ night residencies they can pull off now, though, given that they have hit the major markets with 4+ night residencies.

Regardless, they can probably make a leg off of 2+ night stints. There are a bunch of yet-to-be-hit cities that could probably support 2+ nights:

San Diego
Orange County
Portland?
Seattle
Dallas
Houston
Minneapolis
Somewhere in Ohio?
Miami
Tampa
DC/Baltimore
Atlanta

Throw in some repeats:
NYC x4 (?)
Chicago x2
Perhaps Boston/Toronto/Montreal x2
Los Angeles x2 if not doing Orange County

And you have a leg with 32 shows or so. That's fairly large. The third leg of Vertigo had 50+ shows, so it's not the largest, but I have a hard time seeing U2 doing something like that again.

Kansas City is not a big U2 city. 22,000 on POPMART, and then they didn't even sell out 1 arena show on the 3rd leg of elevation.

I think the real question is will they bother with cities like KC, St. Louis, Columbus, etc, where one show would suffice? I sure hope so, but I'm not optimistic about it.

Well that KC Elevation show was pretty late in the tour, most of us Midwest types had already traveled to other cities for one or two shows and the KC show was kind of a surprise, so that didn't help. When I Look At the World was a nice surprise, but I digress.

I wonder if they'd consider changing their pricing structure to do two shows in an allegedly secondary city like KC, St. Louis or Minneapolis?

If the logistics and market only support a "at least two nights" model, why not scale back the prices a bit to fill up the joint. Say $230 instead of $270 for the lower bowls... sell out both nights and they still do quite well financially.

It's all supply and demand, and from a 'fairness' perspective I think lower prices for 2 nights in a secondary city equates fairly well with regular prices for 6 nights in a bigger city... but that's just my opinion.

I wonder how many 4+ night residencies they can pull off now, though, given that they have hit the major markets with 4+ night residencies.

Regardless, they can probably make a leg off of 2+ night stints. There are a bunch of yet-to-be-hit cities that could probably support 2+ nights:

San Diego
Orange County
Portland?
Seattle
Dallas
Houston
Minneapolis
Somewhere in Ohio?
Miami
Tampa
DC/Baltimore
Atlanta

Throw in some repeats:
NYC x4 (?)
Chicago x2

And you have a leg with 32 shows or so. That's fairly large. The third leg of Vertigo had 50+ shows, so it's not the largest, but I have a hard time seeing U2 doing something like that again.

Phoenix sold really well and really fast, I'd hope they'd come back to us again next year for a couple of shows. And don't forget Vegas. They could do 4 nights at MGM pretty easily

Phoenix sold really well and really fast, I'd hope they'd come back to us again next year for a couple of shows. And don't forget Vegas. They could do 4 nights at MGM pretty easily

Fair. Goes to show that they won't really need one-night markets to make a complete leg.

I also really like Phoenix, so I wouldn't mind going there for a show next year.

Oh, and the Bay Area could be another target as well, I suppose.

San Diego
Orange County
Portland?
Seattle
Dallas
Houston
Minneapolis
Somewhere in Ohio?
Miami
Tampa
DC/Baltimore
Atlanta

Throw in some repeats:
NYC x4 (?)
Chicago x2

Detroit is also possible, they played two nights there on Vertigo and "technically" have not played there since. (Lansing is an hour to hour and half away).

In east Lansing 2011 Bono sang "Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast and Detroit" and the crowd let out a big BOOOOOO!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interferencek

Although it sucks U2 won't come to Columbus, Cincy, Louisville, Indianapolis or Cleveland (all 1- 3 hours drive time), I feel fortunate to live 6 hours from Chicago and 4 hours from Detroit. I can't imagine being a fan in Singapore or something.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interferencek

A single sold out show on the I&E tour grossed roughly 1.5 -2.2 million. I wonder if that's enough money to do a single night and still be profitable?

The residencies were booked a year in advance(sports schedules....etc) when u2 thought setlist variation was something they would actually fulfill.

Of course they can do single night stops on I&E. U2 didn't have any problem having their entire crew camped out in Vancouver for 6 weeks which must have cost a fortune. Probably 50 rooms times 45 days in a very high end hotel. Bono apparently spent 6 figures while in town since he was staying in a $12m mansion.

The screen is new technology, but the actual grid stuff in the ceilings isn't particularly travel unfriendly. They can probably put it up in 7 hours and take it down in about 2 hours. Not sure if any cities on the first legs had to remove the stage for NHL/NBA playoff games between U2 shows.

I wonder if they'd consider changing their pricing structure to do two shows in an allegedly secondary city like KC, St. Louis or Minneapolis?

If the logistics and market only support a "at least two nights" model, why not scale back the prices a bit to fill up the joint. Say $230 instead of $270 for the lower bowls... sell out both nights and they still do quite well financially.

Some cities already have a huge difference in average ticket price. The directly comparable seat in one city will be $300 in one city and $90 in another.

What's interesting to me is how 4+ residency cities sell now that it's known that setlist rotation is minimal within the stand and most of the "rotation" songs have been done frequently on recent tours.

Ever since POPMART U2 put a lot of importance on selling out their shows, but it's really not that big of a deal. Springsteen plays to 3/4 full arenas all the time, nobody thinks much about it.

Billboard lets U2 present the tour numbers any way they wish. Denver 2015 and some cities on 360 had empty balcony sections with full view of stage.

Any Asian rumors/news too?

Manager Guy Oseary just announced these dates in Asia:

Feb. 4 – Taipei, Taiwan, Taipei Arena
Feb. 9 – Nonthaburi, Thailand, IMPACT Arena
Feb. 13 – Saitama, Japan, Saitama Super Arena
Feb. 17 – Hong Kong, China, AsiaWorld-Arena
Feb. 20 – Macau, China, Studio City Event Center
Feb. 21 – Macau, China, Studio City Event Center

Muse Sets Four U.S. Dates | Pollstar

Manager Guy Oseary just announced these dates in Asia:

Feb. 4 – Taipei, Taiwan, Taipei Arena

Feb. 9 – Nonthaburi, Thailand, IMPACT Arena

Feb. 13 – Saitama, Japan, Saitama Super Arena

Feb. 17 – Hong Kong, China, AsiaWorld-Arena

Feb. 20 – Macau, China, Studio City Event Center

Feb. 21 – Macau, China, Studio City Event Center

Muse Sets Four U.S. Dates | Pollstar

I think U2 are just going to stick to Japan, maybe Hong Kong and Singapore. Would be great if they end up doing an Asian tour similar to what Madonna's doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom