2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone know if BBC have picked up the rights to air the Paris concert like
HBO?, I know they where scheduled to show it a couple of weeks later than HBO for the cancelled show.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

"Only" six regularly? Some bands are lucky to play one or two new songs at a show.

I was never big on songs like Iris off the CD, but that and the others did seem to work rather well in a live setting.
Agree! 6 songs played regularly is pretty damn good. And I really think that many of them only develop their full potential live. For example Raised by Wolves is brilliant live, as is Cedarwood Road. I also happen to like Every Breaking Wave the way it is played live. I didn't like the accoustic version on the album and was really scared by the thought of an accoustic set. Gladly no full accoustic set, but Every Breaking Wave is beautiful.

Funny - I talked to many locals and no one said anything negative about them.
Perhaps I just met the wrong people. We got a taxi back from the 3 arena to the hotel and the taxi driver was mad, swearing etc. He HATED them :-0

Anyone who gets this pissed off over a band has issues.

I was also in the Hard Rock Cafe before it and the waiter was saying he didn't like Bono and most of the people he knew didn't like him. The taxi driver was on a different level, shouting about "Do you know that the guitarist owns that feck off new Claytons hotel?", then it was "U2 moved all their operations outside of Ireland to avoid paying tax". I didn't have the guts to tell him Adam Clayton was actually the bassist!

Perhaps I just met the wrong people. We got a taxi back from the 3 arena to the hotel and the taxi driver was mad, swearing etc. He HATED them :-0

nah, I think your experience was about right. Was in Dublin couple of times and was met with he same reaction. Also have few Irish friends here and have asked them about it. All say the same thing: for the most part, irish public couldn't care less about the band and only minority are fans.

nah, I think your experience was about right. Was in Dublin couple of times and was met with he same reaction. Also have few Irish friends here and have asked them about it. All say the same thing: for the most part, irish public couldn't care less about the band and only minority are fans.
Sad, to be honest amongst my friends and family in the UK it's exactly the same, some have an almost unnatural hate for Bono and one of my wife's friends absolutely can't stand Edge. What the hell has Edge ever done to anyone?!?!?!

I was also in the Hard Rock Cafe before it and the waiter was saying he didn't like Bono and most of the people he knew didn't like him. The taxi driver was on a different level, shouting about "Do you know that the guitarist owns that feck off new Claytons hotel?", then it was "U2 moved all their operations outside of Ireland to avoid paying tax". I didn't have the guts to tell him Adam Clayton was actually the bassist!

lol, U2 still pay more tax in Ireland than he'll ever earn in his life. Jealousy much?

Facts are really hard to look up for him apparently, since the only thing that moved was the Royalty tax. They still pay income, property, business taxes which will be rather royal. :wink:

Most of my friends/colleagues here can't stand them but the funny thing is that when they came into town I had three separate people asking me if I had any spare tickets. It's like it's the popular thing to hate Bono coz that's what everyone does but hey can't pass up an opportunity to get a crappy concert selfie with a blurry Bono in the background.
I can't take this stuff seriously. It used to bother me that everyone hated them, but I don't care anymore.

Most of my friends/colleagues here can't stand them but the funny thing is that when they came into town I had three separate people asking me if I had any spare tickets. It's like it's the popular thing to hate Bono coz that's what everyone does but hey can't pass up an opportunity to get a crappy concert selfie with a blurry Bono in the background.
I can't take this stuff seriously. It used to bother me that everyone hated them, but I don't care anymore.

When I first met my wife she hated U2, I got the usual "Bonos a.... *insert any expletive*". I remember asking her what songs she didn't like and she could hardly tell me any apart from Where The Street Have No Name which she actually quite liked.
Fast forward 10 years and she's a hardcore fan now, been to 8 concerts and travelled around the world with me to see them and is blown away each time. She's still embarrassed to say to her friends she likes them though, it's almost fashionable now to hate on U2. I've done my bit in converting her though!

That's independent of your country of residence though... Hating U2 and particularly Bono is fashionable. But then when you ask people about the music they're quiet. I can't understand why someone would hate Edge, though. Except maybe that he's buddies with Bono ;)

People can't even explain why they hate him, never mind the music.

'He put free music on my phone, what an asshole.' 'He wants to help poor Africans even though he's so rich...' I mean seriously. I just can't even bother to argue anymore.

People can't even explain why they hate him, never mind the music.

'He put free music on my phone, what an asshole.' 'He wants to help poor Africans even though he's so rich...' I mean seriously. I just can't even bother to argue anymore.

Nail on the head, if you actually start putting facts to the reasons why they hate them you will just get a blank stare and "na he is just a prick", it's just the fashionable thing unfortunately but yet when the show rolls into town it's a different matter,

As a side note I couldn't get over the amount of younger people at the show I seen in Glasgow, and I literally mean teenagers, the Apple stunt must have done something right.

I often hear the word "fashionable" in connection with U2 hatred. But fashion is contemporary... when was it NOT cool to hate Bono/U2?

Must be long ago.

funny thing is.... years go by, haters will hate or even convert to U2 lovers.

But U2 is still there...they deliver ... tour after tour. That is clear for me now after seeing some i+e shows. I was sceptic... but on a good night they play on a level which many "hip" younger bands will long for... that is just amazing.

If 2015 was just the prelude of what they plan with SOE ... we can expect a hell of a ride be it arenas or stadiums.

Anything U2 released debuts at #1 in ireland, they sell more tickets than anyone else, it's fashionable for U2 fans to be martyrs over how much they think everyone hates U2 (and U2 fans for that matter), and to be perfectly honest with you, if I wasn't a fan I'd probably find Bono annoying as fuck.

Let's put this narrative to bed, shall we? It's overblown as hell. They're one of the most popular bands in the history of music. Anything that is as popular and as successful as they are will also have it's fair share of detractors.

Think of acts you hate. There's millions of fans who feel otherwise. Except for Creed.

Last edited:
Anything U2 released debuts at #1 in ireland, they sell more tickets than anyone else, it's fashionable for U2 fans to be martyrs over how much they think everyone hates U2 (and U2 fans for that matter), and to be perfectly honest with you, if I wasn't a fan I'd probably find Bono annoying as fuck.

Let's put this narrative to bed, shall we? It's overblown as hell. They're one of the most popular bands in the history of music. Anything that is as popular and as successful as they are will also have it's fair share of detractors.

Think of acts you hate. There's millions of fans who feel otherwise. Except for Creed.

That's the thing, I have never found the energy to hate another band? I just find that all a little pointless, if I don't like something then I don't want it in my life and I don't pay attention to it, why spend so much time and effort on something they apparently hate? Like eating concert tickets? making Facebook pages? Etc etc baffles the living shit out of me to be honest

Adele is about the most popular thing in music since the invention of the skin flute.

Go Google "Adele sucks"

It's every artist. It's likely every thing.

People have a lot of time on their hands. This is not a U2 phenomena. They are not widely hated. Actually the opposite.

Even the skin flute is hated by some

Back
Top Bottom