U2 rehearsals in Torino part VI: Full aug 3 update + aug 4 as it happens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus i dont get why so many ask for HMTMKMKM to be played, and then hardly talk about it when it is :|

Nice the first set list flame war of the new leg!

16aa0cojpg.gif

If I want my dream concert I'll make it in Itunes with my bootlegs.

I'm all right now. I took my new avatar's advice. :wink:

The only thing I'm really disappointed in is dropping NLOTH.

UC I love, but I kind of saw that one coming.

The other stuff I can live with. And will be able to sleep at night. :wink:

Ha! Yeah, NLOTH is the main thing with me, too. It's probably been in my top 5 U2 songs ever since the first time I heard it, and my liking for it has never wavered. But like you say, in the grand scheme of things, a U2 setlist isn't that huge of a deal, and I'll still be there next summer camping out and woo-hooing with the best of them. :)

Like or dislike of the setlist, I don't see how anyone can call it balanced. There's nothing pre-War, one song from War, and one song from TUF (I can't even count MLK, it's barely more than a snippet). I don't expect them to retire every warhorse, but there are other substitutions that they could make. And leaving off NLOTH material is very disappointing, esp. NLOTH (the song), one that had a great audience response last year.

I don't agree either that the shows are just for the die-hards and not for the casual fans. Of course they're also for the casual fans...they make up probably 80% of stadium audiences. I can certainly relate to being a casual fan at a show and wanting to hear the hits, I see a lot of bands I'm only a casual fan of. So i think it's unrealistic to expect U2 to tailor the setlist to us, but on the other hand, as others have said, it's like they've tempered every great thing they've done with this setlist by doing something not-so-great.

My biggest complaint with ATYCLB (and even HDDAAB to a point), was that after the envelope-pushing and barrier-breaking we got from AB, Zoo, and Pop (as well as Passengers), for them to simply just turn tail and run back to the safety of their "classic" style was simply too much. Add in the ridiculous overplay from radio and I was turned off completely.

And as I stated earlier, the Claw begs for dramatics. Not Walk On and IALW. It screams for Numb and Mofo. For The Fly and Zooropa. For Discotheque.

Bono is apparently much better, why not take the chance and push those barriers once more? The show was never for the casual fans. It was always for the diehards, the hardcore groups that camp out for DAYS in hopes of rail spots along GA. Not the people that get upper deck tickets because it was something to "do" that weekend. (Like the people behind my hubby and I in Tampa...).

We're the fans that have kept U2's money train rolling for three decades. Not the guys that bought Joshua Tree in the 80s and hasn't followed them until now.

Sorry...I'm a bit wound up.... :huh:

ATYCLB was the right album at the right time, it still means a lot to a lot of people and it brought U2 back into the public eyes and ears. It's a great album that also happend to be a mainstream success unlike NLOTH which is a great album, but failed to become a mainstream success. I love both of them, I don't care how many singles are played on the radio. Beautiful Day still gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it played live, I don't care about the number of times it's on the radio because I don't listen to the charts or to mainstream radio. I like songs because they appeal to me, not because they are played or not played by certain radio stations.

I strongly disagree about the fan thing. I've always found it annoying the way die hard fans tend to think they're the center of the universe when it comes to U2. They are not. U2 is not living off "our" money and they certainly don't play for "us". It's just a way of over-estimating our own importance and impact, sometimes to a really ridiculous level. If U2 played only for the die-hard fans who follow setlist parties and tend to get so wound up about every single detail, they would hardly be able to fill a small arena, let alone a stadium.

Some people need a reality check. This is a stadium band we are talking about, and die hard fans do hardly make for a stadium audience. U2 is the most universal band ever, they play for everyone, they appeal to a lot of people for different reasons. I hate this die hard fan elitist thinking, that's something I really have a hard time dealing with, as much as I enjoy being part of the U2 fan community. It just gets me upset when I read comments from fans who think they own U2 and therefore can expect the band to play only for them and only what they want to hear. This is not a private concert for 30 people but a big stadium show for 60-70 000 people. The majority of this audience doesn't give a damn about setlist discussions, they only want to spend 2 great hours and hear some great songs.

That's why I'm always getting slightly worked up when I hear or read this "U2 has to do this or that" crap from fans who think the band owes them anything. We had the very same discussion last year when the tour was starting and we'll have it again and again as long as the band will be touring, but that's fine and kind of reassuring, it's just a good old game to play and some things never change. Personally, I love this band because they have continued to be a positive force in my life, and the fact that they are dropping certain songs from their set and adding others - decisions that I may or may not appreciate - doesn't take away from this love, not the tiniest bit. I'm just happy to see them again and I've always enjoyed the shows, even though, thinking about some of them, there surely would have been things I'd have changed, but I'm fine with whatever decision the band makes. :)

<driveby>

For those interested, I've posted my daily rehearsals summary on U2gigs: Turin rehearsals, Wednesday 04/08 - U2gigs.com

If there are any gross errors, PM me because I'm going back to bed and won't be returning to wade through hundreds of posts here! So bloody tired.

Also, can I just applaud U2387 for his last post? Well said, and pretty close to my own sentiments.

Lastly, god I hope they're playing Mysterious Ways PROPERLY this year, i.e. with the solo, rather than last year's hatchet job.

</driveby>

Nice the first set list flame war of the new leg!

16aa0cojpg.gif

If I want my dream concert I'll make it in Itunes with my bootlegs.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does that....I get the great R&H version of Bad, the long-ass MW from Zoo's Outside Broadcast, the tearjerker Streets from ZooTv Sydney... :heart:

And btw...is it too soon to start webcam-stalking for Frankfurt??? They've got TWO CAMS INSIDE THE STADIUM, and you can clearly see the floor going down in anticipation of Claw construction! :yippie:
http://www.commerzbank-arena.de/die-arena/web-cams/

<driveby>

For those interested, I've posted my daily rehearsals summary on U2gigs: Turin rehearsals, Wednesday 04/08 - U2gigs.com

If there are any gross errors, PM me because I'm going back to bed and won't be returning to wade through hundreds of posts here! So bloody tired.

Also, can I just applaud U2387 for his last post? Well said, and pretty close to my own sentiments.

Lastly, god I hope they're playing Mysterious Ways PROPERLY this year, i.e. with the solo, rather than last year's hatchet job.

</driveby>

Cliff Notes :heart: :up:

ATYCLB was the right album at the right time, it still means a lot to a lot of people and it brought U2 back into the public eyes and ears. It's a great album that also happend to be a mainstream success unlike NLOTH which is a great album, but failed to become a mainstream success. I love both of them, I don't care how many singles are played on the radio. Beautiful Day still gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it played live, I don't care about the number of times it's on the radio because I don't listen to the charts or to mainstream radio. I like songs because they appeal to me, not because they are played or not played by certain radio stations.

I strongly disagree about the fan thing. I've always found it annoying the way die hard fans tend to think they're the center of the universe when it comes to U2. They are not. U2 is not living off "our" money and they certainly don't play for "us". It's just a way of over-estimating our own importance and impact, sometimes to a really ridiculous level. If U2 played only for the die-hard fans who follow setlist parties and tend to get so wound up about every single detail, they would hardly be able to fill a small arena, let alone a stadium.

Some people need a reality check. This is a stadium band we are talking about, and die hard fans do hardly make for a stadium audience. U2 is the most universal band ever, they play for everyone, they appeal to a lot of people for different reasons. I hate this die hard fan elitist thinking, that's something I really have a hard time dealing with, as much as I enjoy being part of the U2 fan community. It just gets me upset when I read comments from fans who think they own U2 and therefore can expect the band to play only for them and only what they want to hear. This is not a private concert for 30 people but a big stadium show for 60-70 000 people. The majority of this audience doesn't give a damn about setlist discussions, they only want to spend 2 great hours and hear some great songs.

That's why I'm always getting slightly worked up when I hear or read this "U2 has to do this or that" crap from fans who think the band owes them anything. We had the very same discussion last year when the tour was starting and we'll have it again and again as long as the band will be touring, but that's fine and kind of reassuring, it's just a good old game to play and some things never change. Personally, I love this band because they have continued to be a positive force in my life, and the fact that they are dropping certain songs from their set and adding others - decisions that I may or may not appreciate - doesn't take away from this love, not the tiniest bit. I'm just happy to see them again and I've always enjoyed the shows, even though, thinking about some of them, there surely would have been things I'd have changed, but I'm fine with whatever decision the band makes. :)
I agree with a lot of things you're saying in this post. U2 doesn't owe us anything. For myself, I'm just saying that I'm not a fan of THIS setlist. And that I don't understand why they stay away from Zooropa and Pop. What's wrong with having a different opinion? I still love this band to death anyway.

Opening with Beautiful Day is a big disappointment coming from them. Opening with a "greatest hit" is a quick way to make a band look past their prime in my opinion. HMTMKMKM is a great choice as is the new song and TUF, but other than that this feels more like a Stones style "Best of" setlist than the innovative, new material centered setlists of the past. As I've said before, POPMart usually had at least 7 songs from POP, despite U2's perception of that album.

And ATYCLB, as fantastic an album as it is, has had more than its fair share of the spotlight. Its songs, while strong, lack the strength to be played this much on a tour a decade later. If they're going to play only "greatest hits", then do Even Better... or NYD. Either of those songs has more live strength than Walk On, IALW, and maybe even Elevation, especially in a stadium setting.

I get it now, because nothing from Zooropa or Pop gets played, that makes it a greatest hits set, even though people are overlooking songs that are certainly not greatest hits.

They do not need 4 ATYCLB songs just because casual fans are in the house. Am I missing something? Is that all of a sudden the only well known U2 album?

Defending a set list and attacking a critique by pointing out the need to satisfy casuals is a little curious with these numbers present:

-4 NLOTH songs. I love the album, most of us here do, but to the casual public and even to a lot of casual fans, it is obscure.

-Glastonbury(I like it, but johnny casual will want to know where Desire is!)

-In A Little While
(2 well known smash hits there)
-Miss Sarajevo

-MLK
This. Well said.:applaud:

My take on all of this:

Elevation was much better in 2001. Now 9 years later, well, they keep on playing it. IALW is too slow for a show like 360, but it's a great singalong. Miss Sarajevo I'm sure it's for the Italian shows only, but I don't mind if it's in the setlist for the next shows. Something new at least.

I don't care about how much ATYCLB material they have in the show (other than Elevation :D), but it needs to slowly decrease.

The setlist is great. Looking forward to HMTMKMKM opening the encore, fantastic song. (UV lovers :sad:).

With Or Without You & Unforgettable Fire, glad they're still playing it. Nothing like the classics.

Other than that, :up: to U2. They heard the fans, they have great new songs, let 360 begin.

I get it now, because nothing from Zooropa or Pop gets played, that makes it a greatest hits set, even though people are overlooking songs that are certainly not greatest hits.

But opening with BD and cutting nearly half of your recent album from the set list does.

U2 was once a band who looked forward not backwards. Cutting the NLOTH songs and having so many ATCLYB songs makes it seem like its 2000 all over again. They should be proud of No Line and play some more songs from it.

i'm very happy with the setlist. HMTMKMKM and a new song are just incredible! wow! good job U2!

I agree with all those who think there are too many "all that you can't leave behind songs." I thought that five years ago as well. But it is my third favorite U2 album.

plus, I'm pretty sure there are so many slower songs because of Bono's back. Just a month or two ago most of us were saying that the band could play whatever they wanted and Bono could sit in a chair as long as they played....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom