Official: U2 in Turin for 2 weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention its the official opener of the DVD. Wont shock me if they open with it, is better than Breathe for sure. I hope they get more creative though than opening with Boots. Breathe was sort of creative, just didn't quite work.

They just need to make more of the intro to 'Boots' imo. More ZooTv like - more of a build up. Then straight into something like IWF to keep the momentum up. For the majority in the crowd last years shows didn't really seem to 'kick off' until B Day.

I loved Magnificent as an opener. I was also there when it was played ( was my birthday :drool: ) It seemed to go down really well with the crowd there. :wink:

Am interested to see what they will open with this next leg.

Late on this, but I was also there at Foxboro 2 right next to the birthday girl. ;) Magnificent kicked Breathe's ass as an opener IMO. I wouldn't mind seeing Boots open either.

Can it be September 3rd nao?

NLOTH is kindof a dead issue in a way in that they don't need to play as many NLOTH songs to promote the album per se. There's not alot to be gained by playing "new" songs that are kindof old now. If they really wanted to do something ballsy, they'd open with a brand new song that noone's ever heard before, some mind blowing type of 'holy shit it's a new huge U2 anthem/classic' tune. Keeping that sortof surprise under wraps would be near-impossible, probably.

Sadly, only Boots and maybe a sped-up Magnificent comes close to any sort of 'exciting opener' vibe on NLOTH. Breathe was decent but apparently not everyone thinks so. The same arguments against Breathe apply equally to NLOTH (the song) imo.

NOLTH will be 17 months old by the time the tour re-starts. I can't imagine them not releasing ANY new material by the time they resume the North America leg. If they don't, they risk becoming the dreaded 'greatest hits act' they rail so much against.

I'm so perplexed by the internal workings of U2 lately. I used to be in the music industry, working for a well known monthly music magazine. I gained alot of insight into the workings of the industry at the highest levels. Something about the timing of everything makes me uneasy....like theres alot of stuff that is going on that (of course) we don't know about.

Sorry about that....just something I've been thinking about for a whille....

I'd like to note that I'm sitting on the campus of the University of Texas right now, contemplating how desperately I don't want to go to this school.

Austin is a fun town, just go and enjoy it! Then again since you live there already...i can see why you would want to get away.

They just need to make more of the intro to 'Boots' imo. More ZooTv like - more of a build up. Then straight into something like IWF to keep the momentum up. For the majority in the crowd last years shows didn't really seem to 'kick off' until B Day.

Exactly!

They need to get something that people will know up front.

It is possible to like U2 and not be as committed as we are. I know that fact sucks, but it is a fact.

They either need a spectacular visual/sound buildup that makes full use of the claw, or a classic rock type "get the hell out on stage and lets rock it" opener.

I will walk each scenario down to the song that first got most people going in 2009, Beautiful Day.

Then, from there, who knows, we'll let the guys who get the big bucks decide!

Spectacular visual

Devil Inside by INXS blasted through the PA.

Cut all the lights at the end of it, stay dark for a few seconds.

A long video and a bunch of light effects on the claw.(maybe a journey through space and time theme to get to wherever the spaceship has landed)

-At the end use the digital clock that ran through the 360 leg 1 and 2 shows to count down to "lift off."

-Use the explosion effect at the beginning of the Zoo TV performances of Until The End of The World:
YouTube - U2 - Until The End Of The World & New Year's Day (ZOO TV Live From Sydney)(HIGH QUALITY)

(an aside, damn, ZOO TV was fuckin awesome!!!)

-Supplement it with real fireworks shooting out of the top of the claw!

-Simultaneously shoot off a couple "Daddy's...Crashed Car" concussion blasts.

-This distracts all but those who are adamantly looking for the guys from seeing them hit the stage in the dark.

-Wind up that siren intro to "Until The End of the World" and rip in balls to the walls!

-What beats this? Some of the kids there who think U2 are some quiet Coldplay type soft rock band will quickly realize about 50 decibels set the 2 bands apart! Come on, U2, time to be blow away loud at the beginning again just like War, Zoo Tv and Popmart. Your opening the biggest concert ever to play in the venue most likely, so crank it up!!

Until The End of The World
No Line On The Horizon
Desire
Magnificent
Beautiful Day

Classic Rock Type Opening:

Start Me Up by the Stones or something similar playing over the PA.

-Cut the lights.

-Larry walks up and starts Desire just like Breathe.

-The others join in, Bono hits the stage and they start the main riff.

-Play Lovetown type Desire with some snippets(rock and roll star even, no need to reinvent the wheel).

Desire
No Line On The Horizon
Magnificent
In God's Country
Still Haven't Found
Beautiful Day

God please no fireworks, they are not Bon Jovi.

True, I've actually liked U2 pyrotechnic-free.

Exactly!

They need to get something that people will know up front.

It is possible to like U2 and not be as committed as we are. I know that fact sucks, but it is a fact.

They either need a spectacular visual/sound buildup that makes full use of the claw, or a classic rock type "get the hell out on stage and lets rock it" opener.

I will walk each scenario down to the song that first got most people going in 2009, Beautiful Day.

Then, from there, who knows, we'll let the guys who get the big bucks decide!

Spectacular visual

Devil Inside by INXS blasted through the PA.

Cut all the lights at the end of it, stay dark for a few seconds.

A long video and a bunch of light effects on the claw.(maybe a journey through space and time theme to get to wherever the spaceship has landed)

-At the end use the digital clock that ran through the 360 leg 1 and 2 shows to count down to "lift off."

-Use the explosion effect at the beginning of the Zoo TV performances of Until The End of The World

-Supplement it with real fireworks shooting out of the top of the claw!

-Simultaneously shoot off a couple "Daddy's...Crashed Car" concussion blasts.

-This distracts all but those who are adamantly looking for the guys from seeing them hit the stage in the dark.

-Wind up that siren intro to "Until The End of the World" and rip in balls to the walls!

-What beats this? Some of the kids there who think U2 are some quiet Coldplay type soft rock band will quickly realize about 50 decibels set the 2 bands apart! Come on, U2, time to be blow away loud at the beginning again just like War, Zoo Tv and Popmart. Your opening the biggest concert ever to play in the venue most likely, so crank it up!!

I like this also...but the last parts are too extreme.. I rather have this:

-Space Oddity / Soon
-Screen lowers down (all the way)
-Video intro (the modern world/culture or showing the band in a spaceship landing in the selected city, bunch of searchlights shining all over the stadium)
-Screen can rise when the "future needs a big kiss" is heard, plays the current GOYB intro
-Lights turn on, band appear, GOYB begins.

Hopefully something different than Larry walking out and starting Breathe.

God please no fireworks, they are not Bon Jovi.

No pyro at the Bon Jovi shows I've seen.

I've seen well done pyro at AC/DC, McCartney and yes, U2 on Zoo TV.

I am not saying use it throughout, just a big bang at the beginning.

No pyro at the Bon Jovi shows I've seen.

I've seen well done pyro at AC/DC, McCartney and yes, U2 on Zoo TV.

I am not saying use it throughout, just a big bang at the beginning.

Don't forget The Rolling Stones :D

For me a big bang for U2 is bright, bright lights. I don't even know where pyro could fit on the U2360 stage.

My dream scenario:

Space Oddity -> Soon (lights go off) -> Band comes on stage without spotlights as Soon fades -> I Will Follow

Everyone would go nuts.

Oh, okay. I guess when I think "pyro" I'm thinking fireworks and that stuff. Things that go boom or other non-shiny big lights in the sky, I don't have a problem with.

I hope they never use fireworks or go all balls-out with lasers. I saw Muse in April and was glad I was so high up, so I wasn't so annoyed with all the lasers shooting everywhere.

Oh, okay. I guess when I think "pyro" I'm thinking fireworks and that stuff. Things that go boom or other non-shiny big lights in the sky, I don't have a problem with.

I hope they never use fireworks or go all balls-out with lasers. I saw Muse in April and was glad I was so high up, so I wasn't so annoyed with all the lasers shooting everywhere.

I kinda liked the lasers when I saw them :reject:

Ok, I'm not sure what's weirder, that I don't, nor the internet remember this(which I thought I had a good memory) or that certain posters ARE remembering this?

Don't you remember during the War tour when they shot Bono out of a cannon at every show?

I bet that's how his back problems started.

Jog my memory - when did they use pyrotechnics on Zoo TV? I honestly don't remember anything other than the video screens and trabants.

I thought something shot out during "Daddy Pay" as the blasts went off.

If not, then my mistake, I should have watched the video before posting to refresh my memory.

Ok, so fireworks maybe aren't necessary, but some kind of long build up and Until The End of The World opening I still think would go off extremely well.

A lot of people wont know it, but that never stops 100% of the crowd from really getting into this song.

Its U2 going on a bit of a limb, but it is also safe because it is the kind of song that could impress a lot of people with the way they perform it live. Think about some kid dragged to the show by his older brother or friends, etc who thinks "oh, great, U2, can't stand this soapbox breacher Bono, and what? They Still Haven't Found That Mysterious Beautiful Day? I am going to the bar, you guys meet me after the show."

This kid would be pretty damn impressed most likely, and would most certainly be thrown for a bit of a loop when Until The End of The World blasted off when he was expecting Beautiful Day or Walk On or Vertigo.

If they ever resort to random explosions, lasers and fireworks solely for the reason of trying to impress casual fans, I am so out of here.

And by "here" I mean "Happy U2 Fanland."

If the music and band's performance aren't enough to keep someone's interest, then fuck 'em.

^^

Cori, I said maybe scrap the fireworks explosion suggestion I made earlier.

Impressing casual fans, I was referring to Until The End of The World As an opener.

Not fireworks.

Maybe I made a stupid suggestion, but maybe you'll forgive me for getting caught up in the moment, what with the time of year and all being so focused on fireworks and other things that go boom!:lol::wave:

Plus, its about 100 degrees here in Boston this week, so maybe my brain got a little fried too, who really knows?

The opening song has become a difficult issue this time around. I don't believe that Breathe works. Yes it's a rocker, but it is rather byzantine, lacking the visceral smack of Zoo Station or Mofo. Given that NLOTH is now eighteen months old, I do not see the need for U2 to open with a song from that album. Why not resurrect Zoo Station, or try a new arrangement of Discotheque? They may well work better than GOYB, which I suspect they will now turn to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom