Official: U2 in Turin for 2 weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This discussion reminded me of this very cool tool: Your personal U2 concert statistics @ U2gigs.com

Over the course of twenty-one shows, I've been lucky enough to hear "Bad" played TEN times!

· Bad (10 times)

· 1987-05-02 - Worcester
· 1987-09-28 - New York
· 1987-10-23 - Lexington
· 2001-06-05 - Boston
· 2001-06-06 - Boston
· 2001-06-09 - Boston
· 2001-10-30 - Providence
· 2001-10-31 - Providence
· 2005-05-26 - Boston
· 2005-12-04 - Boston

My ticket just arrived!!

I'm going to Turin!
My first tour opener (I know, it's not entirely a tour opener, but still!!!)

:hyper::panic::happydance::loveshower::yippie::dancing::rockon::love::drool:

57 DAYS, YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH

I saw bad once in L.A. in 05. :drool:

I don't mind the opening but I'd love to see discotheque or mofo squeezed in around the Crazy Tonight dance party :D

I think this rehearsal will be more for the band to get into the swing of things again and have Bono test his back versus working on a bunch of new songs in the setlist. I guess the rumor was they were changing the opener prior to the SLC postponement. Breathe is a decent song but it is a pathetic opener. So hopefully that will at least transpire.

The 360 setlists were pretty good for the most part, but I cannot say they are one of their best when the opening song is a dud. Correct that, and its right up there with any other tour setlist.

i believe that when the dust settled, the band realized that Breathe was probalby their weakest opener ever, so they decided to leave it off the DVD.

i was thinking about this the other day, but with the big stage show, i'm surprised they didn't open with some more visual stunning effects ala the big "wow" moments in the beginning of ZooTV and Popmart.

Good point, Mikal.... Although their openers have traditionally been new songs, they've usually been accompanied by some unexpected or emotional "reveal" (Bono and the confetti on Vertigo, the lights-up walk-on for Elevation, walking through the crowd on Pop, the pure visual assault of ZooTV). As groundbreaking and impressive as The Claw is, the crowd's been sitting there looking at it for over two hours - and let's face it, today's concert-goers are harder to impress, especially since probably half of them have already seen at least part of the show online.

I love Breathe, but thought it was lame as an opener. Of course, I'm no fan of NLOTH either, so I'd be hardpressed to pick an alternative.

^ As I said I experienced different crowds and I thought the new songs went down well with the audience.

I just hope U2 doesn't throw out songs from NLOTH. I want them to add Stand up Comedy and Fez. However, since they're touring without a new album this year, I'm a little scared about them adding more old songs and dropping new ones.

I want to reiterate I don't think Breathe is a bad song. I just think it is a very weak opening song live.

I really thought they would open the shows with No Line On The Horizon prior to the tour. I don't think it has to be some huge opening either. If they opened with NLOTH they could have the fog machines going then simply be backlit with the flood lights behind them. Would be a cool moody effect to start and as the songs builds have the lighting become brighter. Then at the low point just have a spot on Bono and then when the song starts again have all the floods go on making the whole stage bright white. Then launch into Boots with the full lighting right after. Would work for me. :) But what do I know. :wink:

I agree that Breathe is a great song - just not a good opener, particularly in stadiums. U2 learned on the Vertigo tour that they needed an uptempo rocker to open in stadiums (swapping COBL for Vertigo), but I suspect they felt GOYB was too similar to Vertigo (it is, of course).

Can't wait to see how they open the European shows this summer!

NLOTH is kindof a dead issue in a way in that they don't need to play as many NLOTH songs to promote the album per se. There's not alot to be gained by playing "new" songs that are kindof old now. If they really wanted to do something ballsy, they'd open with a brand new song that noone's ever heard before, some mind blowing type of 'holy shit it's a new huge U2 anthem/classic' tune. Keeping that sortof surprise under wraps would be near-impossible, probably.

Sadly, only Boots and maybe a sped-up Magnificent comes close to any sort of 'exciting opener' vibe on NLOTH. Breathe was decent but apparently not everyone thinks so. The same arguments against Breathe apply equally to NLOTH (the song) imo.

I've always thought NLOTH would be a great opener, it's so full of energy, I love the live version. However, I think Bono "playing" guitar on that one is quite an argument against NLOTH as an opener. Boots is decent as an opener, Magnificent, though I love the song, IMO doesn't work. I'd say bring in Fez and/or Stand up Comedy. I don't want any old stuff to open the show. I've always felt U2 were quite brave to play 4 new songs at the beginning of the show and I would hate to see the songs from NLOTH be replaced by any old stuff.

As for completely new songs: As much as I'd love to believe what Edge is saying I still don't hold my breath for it. U2 just doesn't seem to be the band to do that kind of thing.

I disagree about Magnificent making a poor opener. Before the tour, I actually thought it was the only obvious opener on the record, with the long instrumental build-up, soaring chorus, and an actual melody - something much of NLOTH is lacking, IMO. (uh oh, my disappointment is showing)

Magnificent opened one show and IMO it was poor. No action and rather unspectacular way for the band to open the show. Breathe was much more dynamic and I will totally miss that Larry moment with the drum solo if U2 decides to replace Breathe with another opener.

IMO, Magnificent wasn't really as great live as I expected it to be. While all the other songs from NLOTH seemed to improve live, I still thought the band didn't really work out Magnificent. I loved it either way, but I still prefer the album version. NLOTH is one of my favourite U2 albums, but I was actually surprised to find that the live versions of most of the songs were actually better than the album versions. Boots improved so much live. On the other hand, I was never really convinced by Unknown Caller, while I totally love the album version, I've always felt it lacked something live. Maybe it was just the audience participation that didn't really take place but would have been crucial to make that song a great live track.

That's an interesting perspective on the Magnificent opener - especially since I was at that show (Foxboro2)! I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, as I thought it was a much stronger opener than Breathe the previous night.

That's an interesting perspective on the Magnificent opener - especially since I was at that show (Foxboro2)! I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, as I thought it was a much stronger opener than Breathe the previous night.

I loved Magnificent as an opener. I was also there when it was played ( was my birthday :drool: ) It seemed to go down really well with the crowd there. :wink:

Am interested to see what they will open with this next leg.

Magnificent at it's album speed is kindof too slow for an opener. If they played it remix speed, now then they'd be on to something special and I think in terms of any song on the album save Boots, it'd be a keeper. :up:

I was there too and also agree and that Magnificent was a great opener. I also think Breathe was a good opener too. I'm just curious to see what they will put in that spot come August.

I've always thought NLOTH would be a great opener, it's so full of energy, I love the live version. However, I think Bono "playing" guitar on that one is quite an argument against NLOTH as an opener. Boots is decent as an opener, Magnificent, though I love the song, IMO doesn't work. I'd say bring in Fez and/or Stand up Comedy. I don't want any old stuff to open the show. I've always felt U2 were quite brave to play 4 new songs at the beginning of the show and I would hate to see the songs from NLOTH be replaced by any old stuff.

As for completely new songs: As much as I'd love to believe what Edge is saying I still don't hold my breath for it. U2 just doesn't seem to be the band to do that kind of thing.

I thought about Bono playing the guitar. One of the best openers they have done (IMO) was Hawkmoon 269 on Lovetown. Bono on guitar, similiar pace to NLOTH. I remember the 360 shows I was at that while the crowd was not going ballistic during No Line, most of the crowd was bobbing their heads to the beat of the song, clearly into it. A good song is a good song to most, and No Line is just a good song. I can just hear the opening chords of No Line with Bono shouting good evening XXXX city or country, we are going to kick your ass tonight, we need you for lift off, are you with us!!! ROAR, then launch into the first verse. Then the rest can be done through mood lighting and the fog machine as I indicated previously. Mid to up tempo songs can work as openers, I think Hawkmoon as mentioned and City of Blinding Lights are good examples of this. Of course, the next song needs to rock the place like Desire did and Vertigo did. Thats where Boots would come in.

I do agree about Magnificent. Its a good song, but just does not take off for some reason live. Seemed like it would before the tour and actually improve live, but I think it almost does the reverse and is mediocre live. I know a lot of people hate it for some reason, but I think Stand Up Comedy is meant to be played live. They should at least give the song a shot live.

I predict GOYB as their new opener. It's uptempo, and the only NLOTH song that casual fans are likely to know.

Not to mention its the official opener of the DVD. Wont shock me if they open with it, is better than Breathe for sure. I hope they get more creative though than opening with Boots. Breathe was sort of creative, just didn't quite work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom