Official: U2 in Turin for 2 weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Popmart had the best setlists (and this coming from someone who's not a fan of the era, album, or the tour itself). Repetitive, but it worked: new material nicely mixed with the older songs and classics. Nice touch adding MOTD and Bad towards the end of the tour. It flowed great all the way from Popmuzik to Walke up dead man.

Also Zoo TV when they added NYD and SBS and IWF but before all the Zooropa songs and MacPhisto came in.

The 00 tours suffer from having one or two acoustic songs instead of a full acoustic set (all three, and acoustic songs don't really work in arenas IMO), nicely done era trios that don't really flow as a hole (Vertigo) - current set is great from UF-COBL duo right until the end but something isn't quite there with the early part...Stuck and I still haven't found...slow down the tempo too much.

I could do with one or two less songs from ATYCLB on this tour*, but other than that, I like the setlist.

*Elevation can feel free to GTFO anytime now. It's fun, and I am unable to resist jumping up and down to it, but it's not worthy enough for three tours in a row.

I loved all the setlists (ZooTV being my favorite), with the exception of the majority of Elevation's 3rd leg, but this tour has been the first one where I've been seriously underwhelmed, not just by the choice of songs, but how the whole thing flows (especially the 2nd half). Or how it doesn't flow. For me anyway. Ultra Violet and Unforgettable Fire saved this one from being a total disaster IMHO.

It's really, really not sarcasm.

Unforgettable Fire, Ultraviolet, keeping HTDAAB material to a minimum, no Pride (in North America at least), great running order (save for the opener maybe) and the occasional Your Blue Room, and I'm one of those people who loved Moment of Surrender as a closer, and I'm also one of those people who love In A Little While. It's missing I Will Follow or The Electric Co. maybe, and Discothèque certainly couldn't hurt, but compared to any other set in their 30-year history I think these were the best ones.

you know, when you put it that way, it's a compelling argument. replace 2 or 3 of those ATYCLB songs with 1 from each 90's album, and i'm right there with you.

360 setlist was awsome, but I liked the European sets better because they shook the set up more and experimented with old/rare material that they - sadly - dropped later on. Apart from that I think it was one of their best setlists ever with a good mixture of old and new.

For the new set, I'd like to see Fez and Stand up Comedy as additions to the set from NLOTH.

360 setlist was awsome, but I liked the European sets better because they shook the set up more and experimented with old/rare material that they - sadly - dropped later on.

Am I forgetting other stuff they played in Europe? Was it just Electrical Storm they played and then later dropped? Angel of Harlem too, I guess.

But hey, we got Your Blue Room, so there! :wink:

I'm just still hoping for Mofo or Gone to make it to the tour now. The stage practically BEGS for it. Other than dropping Stuck, and adding Fez somewhere, I'm fine with the setlists as it is.

I hope they play Streets.

I think Streets isn't going anywhere. It hasn't really.

I'll agree with the other guy that said that Europe had the best setlists. They did experiment alot, but in North America they left it to a minimum (Your Blue Room).
For me, In A Little While, Stuck In A Moment, and Walk On, the significantly famous ones from ATYCLB should stay. Beautiful Day could stay, but Elevation needs to go. It's getting old. With Elevation gone, I wouldn't mind Pride coming back. :reject:

Looking at the Barcelona I setlist, only 3 ATYCLB songs (Beautiful Day, In A Little While, Walk On). Surprises me...

As for too much ATYCLB songs; perhaps.

BD isn't really going anywhere, IALW and Walk on - never really liked the song until this tour's version - make sense in the context (space chat and Suu Kyi), they could drop the token single acoustic song Stuck and there are better uptempo songs than Elevation.

But hey, we got Your Blue Room, so there! :wink:
Agreed. It's obscure, but it deserves to be a more permanent part of the setlist, or at least in steady rotation. Seeing that live at Chicago 2 might have been the highlight of the show for me. :drool:

Most of the stadium would, but in a bad way... that would go down as the worse opener ever.

I can think of 50 U2 songs that would be far worse openers than Discotheque.

Think of all the non die-hard fans in a stadium who would have a total :wtf: reaction to Discotheque as an opener. Because they're the majority of the crowd.

Think of all the non die-hard fans in a stadium who would have a total :wtf: reaction to Discotheque as an opener. Because they're the majority of the crowd.

I'm not seeing a huge difference between Discotheque and Breathe when looking at it from this perspective.

I keep calling the :huh: smiley the :wtf: smiley, and then am surprised when it doesn't work! :lol:

Yeah, a lot of the casual fans didn't seem too interested in the new songs, but these days they don't even seem to remember having an album called Pop, so seeing a track from it as the opener is probably a bigger long shot than Bono winning the Boston marathon this year.

Hm, I don't really think that. Discotheque was a single, and I still occasionally hear it on the radio here. Most people would at least vaguely recognize it. Not sure how it's on the other side of the pond, ofcourse. :wink:

Maybe they'll rehearse Discoteque then! I saw 360 twice and each time Breathe opened, I saw people doing the usual when they are bored: pulling out their cell phones and texting. Breathe is a nice song - but a turd of an opener. Maybe Bono will read this stuff while rehabbing/eating Percocet and the set will not be so static.

I love Pop, I just think it would be a shit opener in 2010. :shrug:

I wouldn't mind seeing it, though I'd rather see Gone or Mofo...

I wana see a real left field song open up. Something that has enough speed to carry the openers spot, but something a bit mystic, and spacey...

HAWKMOON!

I really hope they open with Like A Song...

For some reason, I've really been loving that song recently!

I honestly still don't understand why people complain about Breathe as an opener. At the shows I went to, it worked very well and I thought it was a good choice. The atmosphere was absolutely loaded and the intro was amazing. I still think it worked better than Boots would work, but maybe they'll find a whole different opener for the new leg. From the new stuff, however, I don't see anything other than Breathe really working here, and I don't think U2 will open with an old song.

I don't care about the "static" set if it works, but I liked the little changes they did for the European shows. I can remember the thrill when they totally shifted stuff around for the second Amsterdam show. But since we'll see a lot of "single" shows for the new leg of the tour I doubt there will be massive changes. The band have said themselves that they like to keep a fixed "core" with the same songs and only change a couple of songs.

I loved the 2009 setlists, especially on the second leg. My only issues were that Bad should have been played more, as should have YBR, and maybe ATYCLB stuff should have been played less... but hey, Bad isn't something that I should expect a lot, the fact that YBR was even rehearsed is amazing, and I like ATYCLB.

Yeah, I was surprised Bad only made occasional appearances. Glad I got to see it in Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom