Bono's Surgery and Tour Impact - Info & Discussion Here - Part 2 [update post #370]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the extra travel would be an issue? Flying all the way to England for one day and then right back in to the US for the Minneapolis show the next day?

I wonder if that might have anything to do with a decision.

I'm confused, what do you mean by "it would be much easier to just add a show in the UK rather than having to cancel one AND add another"?

U2 has no official U2 show to cancel in the UK. They can pull out of a festival and only a few hundred people who bought tickets at the end would notice.

But glastonbury has been something the band have wanted to do for a LONG time, and i would imagine them being able to join in with its 40th anniversary will be a huge thing for them, so IMHO i would imagine they are more likely to use glastonbury as the point where they can start again, just my opinion of course.

dont forget Bono is already based in europe right now,

If the story about them planning to re-start in Minn. is true, then they might not have to do the fly over and back. Stay in Ireland, recover and rehearse there, do Glasto, fly on to the US.

If the story about them planning to re-start in Minn. is true, then they might not have to do the fly over and back. Stay in Ireland, recover and rehearse there, do Glasto, fly on to the US.

That could actually be what they are thinking.

U2 has no official U2 show to cancel in the UK. They can pull out of a festival and only a few hundred people who bought tickets at the end would notice.

I'm sure that although the majority bought tickets not knowing the lineup, a fair few of the 175,000 were planning to be at the pyramid stage when U2 were announced for the Friday.

In my opinion, I think of all the gigs they had lined up this year, Glastonbury comes out as the one they personally considered the most important and the one they'd be most hesitant about pulling

Where did you hear this? It'd be great if they did - it's a fantastic song.

There's another thread about "U2 in SL" in this forum, where the poster reveals that he's been approached about U2 using his video footage for their Glasto performance, during EBTTRT. Putting the puzzle pieces together and betting on U2's preference for fairly static setlists, especially given the band/vidiwall choreography that's necessary for the visuals, it's almost guaranteed that means they'll also be playing the song during the rest of the tour.

Such a great song to go with that stage, too. :drool:

I'm sure that although the majority bought tickets not knowing the lineup, a fair few of the 175,000 were planning to be at the pyramid stage when U2 were announced for the Friday.

In my opinion, I think of all the gigs they had lined up this year, Glastonbury comes out as the one they personally considered the most important and the one they'd be most hesitant about pulling

the show was sold out when U2 was announced. then they released a few more tickets, so U2 fans could go.

There's another thread about "U2 in SL" in this forum, where the poster reveals that he's been approached about U2 using his video footage for their Glasto performance, during EBTTRT. Putting the puzzle pieces together and betting on U2's preference for fairly static setlists, especially given the band/vidiwall choreography that's necessary for the visuals, it's almost guaranteed that means they'll also be playing the song during the rest of the tour.

Such a great song to go with that stage, too. :drool:

Interesting. Well, I do hope that they play it again. Great tune.

the show was sold out when U2 was announced. then they released a few more tickets, so U2 fans could go.

That's what I just said, the majority of tickets were sold when no-one was announced, people buy tickets because it is Glastonbury, regardless of who plays. My point is that when U2 were announced a fair share of the 175,000 ticketholders would have planned on seeing them on the Friday.

The extra tickets weren't released exlusively for U2 fans by the way, they were a batch of tickets that were being resold following cancelled tickets or people not paying their deposits.

That's what I just said, the majority of tickets were sold when no-one was announced, people buy tickets because it is Glastonbury, regardless of who plays. My point is that when U2 were announced a fair share of the 175,000 ticketholders would have planned on seeing them on the Friday.

The extra tickets weren't released exlusively for U2 fans by the way, they were a batch of tickets that were being resold following cancelled tickets or people not paying their deposits.

everyone else WAS announced, I'm pretty sure. U2 were added at the end.

It's very frustrating that there's still no new official announcement. I know it is a very private issue and the family surely insists on keeping it private, plus I guess doctors have to assess him properly before they can say anything about his condition and prospects. BUT it would still be nice to simply hear or read a "Bono's ok" from someone who knows. They must know that fans are worried. And I'm sure they'll make announcements regarding the tour and possible cancellations/postponements as soon as they know what to do.

And I really don't know about Glasto. It's tricky. Having Bono flewn in and out is even more stressful for him in a physical sense. I have a feeling Glasto will be cancelled, it's not a U2 audience anyway and Bono's health is more important than the importance of playing that particular festival for the band. They can still perform next year.

Ach, mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut. :(

This is, in fact, a perfect German sentence :)

It's very frustrating that there's still no new official announcement. I know it is a very private issue and the family surely insists on keeping it private, plus I guess doctors have to assess him properly before they can say anything about his condition and prospects. BUT it would still be nice to simply hear or read a "Bono's ok" from someone who knows. They must know that fans are worried. And I'm sure they'll make announcements regarding the tour and possible cancellations/postponements as soon as they know what to do.

I agree with every word you say here. Forgetting the tour for a moment I am getting worried about Bono that we have heard nothing 3 days after the initial, vague, announcement.

everyone else WAS announced, I'm pretty sure. U2 were added at the end.

I live in the UK and can assure you the tickets were sold in September/October last year, selling out on the day they went on sale. No-one was announced until 2010, with Muse and U2 being announced relatively close to each other. Here's a link from the Glasto website:

Glastonbury Festivals - News - It's a sell out!

And here is a news piece confirming Muse & Stevie Wonder have been added to the lineup ALONGSIDE U2:

Stevie Wonder and Muse officially confirmed for Glastonbury 2010 - Festival News - Festivals Guide 2010 - NME.COM - News, Reviews, Line-Ups, Photos, Videos, Information and More

I live in the UK and can assure you the tickets were sold in September/October last year, selling out on the day they went on sale. No-one was announced until 2010, with Muse and U2 being announced relatively close to each other. Here's a few links from the Glasto website:

Glastonbury Festivals - News - It's a sell out!

And here is a news piece confirming Muse & Stevie Wonder have been added to the lineup ALONGSIDE U2:

Stevie Wonder and Muse officially confirmed for Glastonbury 2010 - Festival News - Festivals Guide 2010 - NME.COM - News, Reviews, Line-Ups, Photos, Videos, Information and More

OK, I stand corrected. But still, no one bought tickets to see you U2. If they were going to spend that time at that stage, they still can. I'm sure someone would be added to fill a hole in the schedule. That's how these things work.

The band will be doing there best to be at glastonbury, it seemed very important for them to be there, its the 40th anniversary which would be MASSIVE for them to do,

i still think there is a chance all US shows up until the 25th will be postponed, letting the band reharse in Ireland before doing glastonbury and then resuming the tour.

OK, I stand corrected. But still, no one bought tickets to see you U2. If they were going to spend that time at that stage, they still can. I'm sure someone would be added to fill a hole in the schedule. That's how these things work.

Quite a whole to fill, but like you say people didn't buy the tickets to see U2 so them dropping out wouldn't produce anarchy, just a bit of disappointment. I was one of the lucky few who did get a ticket in the resales so I'm batting away any talk of U2 not doing Glastonbury!

They've mucked Michael Eavis around a lot over the years apparently about Glastonbury (so much so that a couple of years ago that he said to the press that he wouldn't be asking them again), this might just be the last straw if they pull out, its an awful situation to put the organisers in. At least with your own tour dates the only people suffering the hit (apart from the fans) is yourself and your own management. But that's by-the-by.

And by the way, I don't hate Coldplay, I've seen them live and enjoyed it. My point is that to offer those U2 fans with a ticket to Glastonbury a headline set by U2 and then to replace them with 'U2-lite' is just slightly sickening. Anyone but them. Paul McCartney is playing Hyde Park on the Sunday, he could easily do it. :huh:

Paul McCartney is playing Hyde Park on the Sunday, he could easily do it. :huh:

He's got his own gig on the Saturday in Cardiff aswell so 3 nights on the trot might be asking a bit much. I can't see Coldplay dropping everything to play Glastonbury mid-album writing, unrehearsed and on the back of 2 years pushing their last album. They've done the festival before and I'm sure I've seen an Eavis quote saying they'll be doing it next year. The majority of the crowd will settle for another act but for the U2 fans going (myself included) its pretty nerve-wracking at the moment as there is no substitute.

The thing is as well, fans who have tickets to shows will get that show replaced, we won't get a Glastonbury performance replaced. Life is such a bitch sometimes, I'm sure everyone is thinking that at the moment :angry:

When do they have full production rehearsals with the claw if Minne is the first North American show of 2010?

I agree with every word you say here. Forgetting the tour for a moment I am getting worried about Bono that we have heard nothing 3 days after the initial, vague, announcement.
Nah, I'm thinking just the opposite. If it were serious, I suspect there'd be leaks galore and it'd be all over the tabloids and the news, and we'd read all sorts of inflammatory headlines that I refuse to even type or speculate on in this thread.

The fact that we've heard nothing further leads me to believe that this was a routine procedure and everything is progressing normally. No news doesn't mean bad news. No news means that there is nothing out of the ordinary and there's nothing to report.

I actually think the UK festival is the most likely to get cancelled, since the vast majority of people bought tickets not expecting U2 anyway. And it would be much easier to just add a show in the UK rather than having to cancel one AND add another.

This makes no logical sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom