Barcelona I Setlist Party (and show discussion & thoughts) Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bilde1-16.png

Bilde2-16.png

Bilde3-15.png

original size here

k they still need to work some kinks out on UV...but HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bono sounds fucking incredible. Listen to the way he sings that second verse!!!! "You bury your treasure where it cannot be found!!!" holy fuck....I got chills...I can't even imagine how fucking awesome this is going to be as the tour really gets underway....and look at that youtube video...is that MBM suit?!?! It's hard to tell....whatever he is wearing...holy fuck he looks insanely awesome...it's like the coolness of ZooTV is back....seriously! Watch that youtube video!!! He's fucking going nuts!!!

Don't mean to start an argument with the Setlist Antichrist, but...

ZooTV - 54 songs, 158 shows
Popmart - 55 songs, 94 shows

Of course, there was an extra album's worth of songs (plus Passengers and HMTMKMKM) in the U2 catalogue by that point.

I mean in terms of diversity between shows. I should've made that clear. There was more internal alteration, mainly around the b-stage set (think of SBS and Bad rotating on the third and fourth legs, Bono's solo AIWIY and So Cruel coming and going, etc.).

In terms of a ratio of total songs to total shows, yes, ZooTV has an advantage (perhaps even more of one once you cut Edge's karaoke from Popmart). But the core Popmart set was much more rigid and static.

:lol: I'm going to go back and watch all the videos i missed aswell. :drool::up:

Thanks to those providing the setlist from Barcelona and those posting it here and everyone who posted feeds and pics. :heart::hug:

:applaud: Especially GaleonGirl and her bladder :kiss:

i don't remember it being this frantic every time....

Me neither. One phone call or blink and you were forever behind. :sigh:

I changed my mind...

bonomatrix.jpg

:lol: :drool:

Did not like Adam's "shirt" :der:

Would anybody object if the setlist party were kept to, you know, setlists?

Thanks, but yes I'm married...She likes U2 as well...as long as they are in some exotic city we can travel to, to see them...locally, meh she will go.

777033165_e008eddc14.jpg

I look like crap there, because I was hiding some mics in my hoodie...

Sigh. I guess I'll just have to worship your setlist comments (and recordings) from afar.

Anyway, you two look thrilled to be there. :)

The concern/critique is so easy to dismiss when your view is that U2 can do no wrong. The fact is that it's a safe, predictable, unchallenging set... and they're over-compensating with their "rarities".

The Norm + UF + Ultraviolet = AMAZING!!!11!!

It's not that "U2 can do no wrong", that is more the subject for albums, tour themes, variations of the way they play certain songs, etc...The setlist issue is that it is impossible to create one that will make everyone happy. There are people wanting One gone from the setlist. Yet others are DYING to hear it, since this will be there first show.

I am lucky. I have seen them every tour since War, multiple times each tour, and gotten to see most songs played. But they must think like it's someone's ONLY show, and that fan is gonna wanna hear some songs the hard core fans are "tired" of.

Personally, I would love for them to drop a couple of songs myself from the 2009 setlist. BUT I WON'T BITCH ABOUT IT. If I was going to express ANY disapointment, it would be the dropping of a couple of songs from the longer setlist, yet it sounds like tonights show was 2 hours and 15 minutes. That rivals the longest of the Vertigo shows.

Bottom line, the last time U2 did a "daring" setlist was ZOO TV. First 7 songs almost all new, first legs, nothing from the first 3 albums at all, etc...They aren't that same band anymore.

I know I will be enjoying the shows that I see, NO MATTER WHAT IS PLAYED.

Glad the tradition of setlist bashing is still JUST as popular in 2009 as it was in 2005/2006, and 2001...and 1997, and...

Actually, from my memory how it looked like in 2005, there was much less setlist complaining back then. Despite the lack of Zooropa and Pop songs, there was a bigger and better balance between the classics, rocking songs (which are almost non-existent this time) and rarities. In fact, looking at this setlist now, in expectation of my two concerts in August, I appreciate even more the setlist of the concert I went to in '05 - getting Zoo Station, The Fly, The Electric Co., Running To Stand Still, along with New Year's Day, Bullet the Blue Sky and All I Want Is You was truly a treat.

I'm delighted to see Ultra Violet and The Unforgettable Fire back in the set, but the rest leaves me wanting more and deleting some of it, replacing it with songs that would adjust perfectly to that stage - namely, more 90s material - would be a perfect combination. Just my two cents on the whole matter...

Adam's shirt looks like a sleeveless shirt and he has a towel wrapped around his neck

I'm just SOOOOOOO happy "Vertigo" and "Elevation" didn't make an appearence...having said that wish they would scrap "Angel Of Harlem" and "In A Little While" in favour of songs like "Exit" "Acobat" "Love Is Blindness" "Gone" "Please" or something darkly similar....LOVE the fact that Unforgettable Fire is there!!!!!!

Uhhh...Vertigo was played dude

It's not that "U2 can do no wrong", that is more the subject for albums, tour themes, variations of the way they play certain songs, etc...The setlist issue is that it is impossible to create one that will make everyone happy. There are people wanting One gone from the setlist. Yet others are DYING to hear it, since this will be there first show.

I am lucky. I have seen them every tour since War, multiple times each tour, and gotten to see most songs played. But they must think like it's someone's ONLY show, and that fan is gonna wanna hear some songs the hard core fans are "tired" of.

Personally, I would love for them to drop a couple of songs myself from the 2009 setlist. BUT I WON'T BITCH ABOUT IT. If I was going to express ANY disapointment, it would be the dropping of a couple of songs from the longer setlist, yet it sounds like tonights show was 2 hours and 15 minutes. That rivals the longest of the Vertigo shows.

Bottom line, the last time U2 did a "daring" setlist was ZOO TV. First 7 songs almost all new, first legs, nothing from the first 3 albums at all, etc...They aren't that same band anymore.

I know I will be enjoying the shows that I see, NO MATTER WHAT IS PLAYED.

Thanks for writing a real, thought-out response.

Unfortunately, I disagree. You're right in that they can't please everyone. This being said, I don't think their current approach is the only solution. You might think they're trying to play for the newbs, I think they're constantly playing their greatest hits. Whether it be because they think they're guaranteeing themselves a good reponse, or because those songs have become easy to play, they're only hurting themselves. If we had to guess a setlist based on past tendencies, it would have come very close to this. I just think they're capable of more... I think they'd love it, and we'd love it. Could it be that they're afraid of making mistakes on-stage?

Actually, from my memory how it looked like in 2005, there was much less setlist complaining back then. Despite the lack of Zooropa and Pop songs, there was a bigger and better balance between the classics, rocking songs (which are almost non-existent this time) and rarities. In fact, looking at this setlist now, in expectation of my two concerts in August, I appreciate even more the setlist of the concert I went to in '05 - getting Zoo Station, The Fly, The Electric Co., Running To Stand Still, along with New Year's Day, Bullet the Blue Sky and All I Want Is You was truly a treat.

I'm delighted to see Ultra Violet and The Unforgettable Fire back in the set, but the rest leaves me wanting more and deleting some of it, replacing it with songs that would adjust perfectly to that stage - namely, more 90s material - would be a perfect combination. Just my two cents on the whole matter...

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f274/setlist-disappointment-120583.html

Just one of many...People will usually look back on tours with fondness, but today? I'm critical...It's just the opposite with albums. Todays album is the greatest...the last one sucked. LOL (cracking myself up)

These are basically my thought. Vertigo tended to have an excellent balance; I really hope that balance comes back. I think how well Ultraviolet was done tonight (the actual performance, the visuals, Bono's antics) shows the viability for more 90s stuff.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f274/setlist-disappointment-120583.html

Just one of many...People will usually look back on tours with fondness, but today? I'm critical...It's just the opposite with albums. Todays album is the greatest...the last one sucked. LOL (cracking myself up)

You're kinda proving my point. The original poster is disappointed, but almost every single reply is assessing the setlist in a positive manner (including yours truly). There was bitching, of course, but it was more concentrated on single song appearances like Elevation and Pride. This time, many people, including myself, are considering single song appearances like UF and Ultra Violet as highlights, while the setlist as a whole ain't that thrilling.

Thanks for writing a real, thought-out response.

Unfortunately, I disagree. You're right in that they can't please everyone. This being said, I don't think their current approach is the only solution. You might think they're trying to play for the newbs, I think they're constantly playing their greatest hits. Whether it be because they think they're guaranteeing themselves a good reponse, or because those songs have become easy to play, they're only hurting themselves. If we had to guess a setlist based on past tendencies, it would have come very close to this. I just think they're capable of more... I think they'd love it, and we'd love it. Could it be that they're afraid of making mistakes on-stage?

No I Will Follow, New Years Day, The Fly, Even Better Than, etc...This really doesn't look like a greatest hits. If anything the last tour was more of a greatest hits (after the first leg)...

I'm re quoting this for emphasis...
If we had to guess a setlist based on past tendencies, it would have come very close to this. I just think they're capable of more...

Why would you think they are capable of more, if this is what you thought they would play based on past tendencies? This isn't "RANDOM SETLIST NIGHT"... they play what they think will be a good show for everyone (old fans / new fans)...AND I think under those circumstances it is a good setlist.

The concern/critique is so easy to dismiss when your view is that U2 can do no wrong. The fact is that it's a safe, predictable, unchallenging set... and they're over-compensating with their "rarities".

The Norm + UF + Ultraviolet = AMAZING!!!11!!

Heh, so "the norm" is that U2 are playing 7 new songs live, retiring an old standard (Bullet) and digging up a few classics, and that's considered a lame setlist?

If you're not at the shows, then don't gripe. You have no right to complain if you're not there and all you're doing is sitting on the net reading about a show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom