All Southern Hemisphere tour information/rumours here please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
South America in 2010???

Hi chicks!
A lots of latin newspapers are saying that Paul McGuinnes said that U2 would come to South America in October next year? Is it true:confused:
I mean Argentina in 2019 would see the 360Tour? :ohmy:
I hate to read a lots of false rummors... totally breaks my heart if is not true. :sad:
If somebody know something... please let me now!
Meanwhile I will keep posting pics ahah! :lol:

I have no doubts about possible gigs at South America. Australia, New Zealand and Asia. Even that, anything can happen. I just read an article from Argentina that refers declarations of McGuinnes about closures with a enterprise named Time 4 fun for the shows in that country:

Nota correspondiente a la publicación del día Viernes de 3 de Abril de 2009

16:33 - ESPECTACULOS

U2 vuelve a la Argentina

La banda irlandesa confirmó que se presentará por tercera vez en el país en octubre de 2010, en el marco de la gira mundial "360º Tour" que presentará el nuevo disco "No line on the horizon".

El grupo de rock irlandés U2 regresará a la Argentina por tercera vez en octubre de 2010 para presentar su nuevo CD "No line on the horizon", según anunció el manager de la banda Paul McGuinnes.

McHuines, considerado el quinto U2, confirmó que en octubre de 2010 la banda visitará Sudamérica y que la Argentina (donde anteriormente se presentaron en 1998 y 2006) estará incluido entre los países donde se presentará.

Este rumor daba vueltas en el mercado local desde la salida del nuevo álbum, ya que se daba cerrado el trato entre U2 y Time 4 Fun, la mayor productora regional de espectáculos musicales.

En el 2010, los U2 girarán durante junio y julio por Estados Unidos, luego en agosto y septiembre se irán a Europa y en octubre viajarán a América Latina.

"Vamos a hacer casi cien recitales a lo largo de los siguientes dos años, y el desafío es que absolutamente todos tienen que ser en grandes estadios, debido a la infraestructura y detalles de la puesta en escena", señaló McGuinees.

La gira, bautizada como "360› Tour", comenzará el 30 de junio en el Camp Nou de Barcelona.

Este nombre se debe a que el escenario se ubicará en el medio de las canchas de fútbol, con público rodeándolos por completo y sin desperdiciar ningún sector de las tribunas.

La Vertigo Tour de 2005-06, que los trajo a la Argentina, recaudó 389 millones de dólares y fue vista por 4.619.021 personas.

Telam: Espect�culos - U2 vuelve a la Argentina

So it´s a fact. And if Latin America is possible, I can´t see no reasons for shows for the rest of de U2´s 360 world tour. I can´t wait that long, so I´m planning to visit the US for a couple of shows at least.

Y para los camaradas de Sudamérica, será una larga espera para nosotros, pero el grupo ya sabe la clase de público que son y como consta en U23D. ZOOerte y preparen toda la parafernalia para octubre del 2010.

Salutes/saludos from Mexico city

profit margins be damned!!
I'm sorry but if u2 came here and charged $200 for tickets they would sell out, thats almost double from last time, so their profit would be the same.
In fact why dont they scale everything back to a few amps and none of your high tech shit and play in smaller venues to cut the cost of the bullshit and we then can see what we want to see, the band singing their songs, not some graphics and a woman who can't say the word slavery.
I seem to recall making almost the exact same post sometime in 2005, before the Vertigo tour was announced. Well except for the bit about the woman who couldn't pronounce the word slavery. :wink:

This time I refuse to get worked up about the possibility of a tour:

If they come to Oz, they are worthy of my love.

If they don't come to Oz, they're the scum of the earth and I will run over all my cds with my car.....

No need for us Aussies to get distraught, not yet. If we get a tour it will be near the end of 2010 which means no announcement or ticket sales for ages.

McGuiness said they'd be doing a hundred shows in 2 years and so far less than 50 shows have been announced. I'd say chances are pretty good to have a SouthAmerica/Australia leg.

McGuiness said they'd be doing a hundred shows in 2 years and so far less than 50 shows have been announced. I'd say chances are pretty good to have a SouthAmerica/Australia leg.

Let's assume roughly the same amount of shows in North America and Europe next year as this year. That's 45. 44 this year ... round it up to an even 90 across two years. Expect at least five dates in South America (that's how many they did on Vertigo, plus the three in Mexico took the Latin American leg's total to eight shows - I've heard a rumour that this time around, Mexico will be grouped in with the mid-2010 US/Canada dates, like on ZooTV and Popmart).

So I guess that leaves room for Australia, but I suppose we shouldn't be getting our hopes up that U2 might do a decent tour of the Southern Hemisphere and Asia. Personally, I think the following would be ideal:

Wellington x2 (or Auckland x2, but I think Westpac Stadium would best suit the 360 Tour's production)
Sydney x2
Melbourne x2
Brisbane (x2?)
Adelaide
Perth
Tokyo
Seoul
Hong Kong
Kuala Lumpur
One Indian city x2 or two Indian cities x1 (e.g. Mumbai, Kolkata)
Johannesburg
Plus whatever South American dates they already have up their sleeve.

Never going to happen though.

Let's assume roughly the same amount of shows in North America and Europe next year as this year. That's 45. 44 this year ... round it up to an even 90 across two years. Expect at least five dates in South America (that's how many they did on Vertigo, plus the three in Mexico took the Latin American leg's total to eight shows - I've heard a rumour that this time around, Mexico will be grouped in with the mid-2010 US/Canada dates, like on ZooTV and Popmart).

So I guess that leaves room for Australia, but I suppose we shouldn't be getting our hopes up that U2 might do a decent tour of the Southern Hemisphere and Asia. Personally, I think the following would be ideal:

Wellington x2 (or Auckland x2, but I think Westpac Stadium would best suit the 360 Tour's production)
Sydney x2
Melbourne x2
Brisbane (x2?)
Adelaide
Perth
Tokyo
Seoul
Hong Kong
Kuala Lumpur
Johannesburg

They should repeat their practice of ending in Honolulu.

Sydney x2
Melbourne x2
Brisbane (x2?)
Adelaide
Perth
Tokyo
Seoul
Hong Kong
Kuala Lumpur
Johannesburg

Though not Southern Hemsiphere, do you think there would be any chance of seeing another show or two in Tokyo, or another show in a different Japanese city? Seoul would be great, but I think it'd be useful if they stayed in the area a little bit longer.

I have to wonder that, on the chance they do come here, if they'll skip either Perth or Adelaide, given that's the way things have been the past two tours here, if I recall correctly - one or the other. I pray that they don't, of course. It's quite absurd.

Though not Southern Hemsiphere, do you think there would be any chance of seeing another show or two in Tokyo, or another show in a different Japanese city? Seoul would be great, but I think it'd be useful if they stayed in the area a little bit longer.

I have to wonder that, on the chance they do come here, if they'll skip either Perth or Adelaide, given that's the way things have been the past two tours here, if I recall correctly - one or the other. I pray that they don't, of course. It's quite absurd.

I was basing just one show off the original Vertigo schedule, when they had just one stadium show planned for Yokohama (replaced by three arena shows in Saitama). I'm sure they could do at least two - all previous visits to Japan have had multiple shows, even Popmart did Tokyo and Osaka.

Yeah, the pattern for Perth and Adelaide:
UF Tour: Both
Lovetown: Both
ZooTV: Adelaide
Popmart: Perth
Vertigo: Adelaide

But come on, Subiaco and Footy Park are both suited to the 360 set-up and I'm sure they'd sell out both (or come close). Incidentally, the heightened capacity of the 360 set-up is why I only have x2 for Sydney, a question mark for x2 in Brisbane, and no x2 in Adelaide. If it were an ordinary set-up like Vertigo, I'd say x3 for Sydney, definitely x2 for Brisbane, and possibly x2 for Adelaide.

Is there any chance of a Japan leg in 2009?

This is probably a ridiculous question but I am from Australia and it doesn't look as though U2 will be taking 360 here.

I recently booked a holiday to Tokyo for November - I suddenly thought wouldn't it be cool if I could catch U2 there. But alas, checking the tour dates, no Japan for 2009 so far. Is there any way that this could change?

The chances of them adding any extra dates in 2009 are small. The chances of them adding any extra dates that are outside of North America are virtually nonexistent. They've made it pretty clear that this is all they're doing this year... next year could be very, very interesting, though. I doubt they'd spend too much time in North America (I'm not sure how much of a market there will be to pull money out of after what they're doing now, at least in stadiums), but I really think there's a good chance they'll do everything they can to squeeze as much money out of this monster as possible... which would include a Pacific leg.

At present, this is it for 2009.

Current word is that the third leg won't begin until June 2010 - in North America.

Can only hope an Aussie, Kiwi, and Asian leg gets worked in at some point, though. Certainly it could still be feasible between October 2009 and June 2010. Don't hold your breath though.

I seem to remember hearing this is their most expensive show...so they have to play many more shows. They finish in America 09' in October. They should do South America (100,000+ plus most venues) then come to Australia/New Zealand (60,000+ most venues exept MCG 100,000+ plus) because it will be spring/summer. If U2 are the people's band...they should prove it. A world tour does not only consist of North America and Europe. We all remember their supposed massive 2001 world tour...which consisted of only Eurpoe and America. This has to be one of the only things that makes me slightly dislike this band...money comes first then fans second!:sad:

ANZ Stadium / Stadium Australia - Sydney.. that would be mental... It felt so narrow and tiny in there for Vertigo.. would be cosy as.. :drool:

I seem to remember hearing this is their most expensive show...so they have to play many more shows. They finish in America 09' in October. They should do South America (100,000+ plus most venues) then come to Australia/New Zealand (60,000+ most venues exept MCG 100,000+ plus) because it will be spring/summer. If U2 are the people's band...they should prove it. A world tour does not only consist of North America and Europe. We all remember their supposed massive 2001 world tour...which consisted of only Eurpoe and America. This has to be one of the only things that makes me slightly dislike this band...money comes first then fans second!:sad:

They should do many things - but it still doesn't happen.

I think things will look up abit once McGuinness gets word of the AC/DC ticket stampede. Furthermore look at this years touring roster - winter is fillling up which is traditionally the quiet time - Simon And Garfunkel, Pink (well she has practically moved here for the next 4 months), Liza Minnelli, New Kids On The Block, Il Divo, Beyonce, Pussycat Dolls... and all are doing decent numbers with many cracking multiple shows in most markets.

I work in ticketing and there are big plans for the summer months - Metallica, Nickelback (yeah I know, I know), Britney (really close to an announcement on this one), Billy Joel/Elton John, John Farnham... all of whom are asking or will ask $100-$200 a ticket and all of who will sell massive numbers.

The Aussie dollar is heading to 80c US again - so things do look good.

They just need to market this fucker. Get U2 out for some promo shit after the Europe dates, announce the tour in November or January and see them tickets fly. It's not rocket science.

tickets went on sale almost a year in advance for ACDC and its already sold out, ticketek are advertising a "petition" for more shows :lol:

U2 are better so for that reason we should hopefully get them next year :D :D

any new info?

when the tour started, a lot of media talked about them being here by MARCH 2010...

the bad part is that our stadium is being remodeled, and the due date is... march 2010... but those things here you can't really rely on them

only 1 newspaper talked about March OR OCTOBER.

I like October much more.

After how successful Vertigo was, I think U2 will probably come back as long as the Aussie dollar is still strong - and hopefully they'll hop over the Tasman too.

Though if they stick to arenas with no stadium setup, I would be a little worried ...

Wow, are they only playing to small arenas at the moment?

Remember at this stage on the Vertigo Tour we'd just started our umpteenth "Australia doesn't quite know what the fuck is happening" thread, and things were looking more than bad. And then we got an announcement out of nowhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom