All Southern Hemisphere tour information/rumours here please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must admit, I'm wondering what's happening. I've heard no news for a while on the November 2010 front (maybe I should hassle some people, but I'm busy with other things). If South America ends up being March 2010, maybe they WILL try to tour Australia then, despite the failure of earlier negotiations. Play some less "conventional" stadiums (by U2 touring standards)? i.e. those likely to be free in March. Wouldn't Adelaide Oval be free then, for instance? Melbourne's got suburban venues coming out of its arse (don't know how many would be good for gigs), QSAC's probably free in Brisbane ... what's Sydney got?

Well, folks, I had a dream list night that I saw U2 in Sydney. This was somewhat random, because there's no way I'm going to Australia next year, but hopefully the part about the concerts existing is prophetic.

I must admit, I'm wondering what's happening. I've heard no news for a while on the November 2010 front (maybe I should hassle some people, but I'm busy with other things). If South America ends up being March 2010, maybe they WILL try to tour Australia then, despite the failure of earlier negotiations. Play some less "conventional" stadiums (by U2 touring standards)? i.e. those likely to be free in March. Wouldn't Adelaide Oval be free then, for instance? Melbourne's got suburban venues coming out of its arse (don't know how many would be good for gigs), QSAC's probably free in Brisbane ... what's Sydney got?
the showground?

SydneyShowgroundHomebushBaseball.jpg

the sfs is an option because it isn't as busy as anz stadium. the scg might always be a possibility because it's fucking big and only hosts one team.

none of the suburban nrl venues would suit, except maybe parra stadium. i'd fucking love to see the claw at kogarah, that would be beyond hilarious.

Man, the SCG would be awesome. Wasn't sure how it went for hosting teams.

Ian, do you know if any stadiums in Melbourne other than Etihad and the G could host gigs? Waverley once did, but obviously that's, uh, not quite on the cards any more. (Was there a couple of weeks ago and it's just fucking weird.)

Man, the SCG would be awesome. Wasn't sure how it went for hosting teams.

Ian, do you know if any stadiums in Melbourne other than Etihad and the G could host gigs? Waverley once did, but obviously that's, uh, not quite on the cards any more. (Was there a couple of weeks ago and it's just fucking weird.)

if we're talking november they might get pissy about the wicket block, but given it only hosts the swans and one or two league games it wouldn't be a big deal at any time. but they've had concerts there in summer before with no problem. it's not like the claw would be in the centre of the stadium anyway.

i guess the bubbledome (aka the new rectangular stadium) would be an acceptable venue, if not a tad small at 31,000 seats.

there's nothing outside of telstra dome and the G that could accomodate a large enough crowd i would think... and is the bubbledome even finished yet?

you've got rod laver of course, i mean coldplay are pretty huge, and they did their shows there...

I'd kill for a gig at Windy Hill since it's within walking distance, but yeah, that will never happen.

Hell, Princes Park is probably juuust walking distance too. But again, not going to happen.

As for accommodating large crowds, Horsens and Coimbra seem indicative that U2 are willing to do a couple of shows at a smaller venue if the usual larger venue is tied up with sport.

If rumors pan out we might be looking at this...

march to early april-oceana (new zealand, australia, japan..etc)

mid or later april to early may-south america

bring claws up to mexico city and anaheim after that.

makes since doesn't it?

Don't they usually play the southern hemisphere shows at final legs of tours (Zoo TV, Popmart, Vertigo...) ?

Don't they usually play the southern hemisphere shows at final legs of tours (Zoo TV, Popmart, Vertigo...) ?

That's how it has ended up, but it hasn't always been the original intention.

War Tour: meant to be last, never happened (except for Japan).
UF Tour: meant to be first, happened first.
JT Tour: meant to be first, never happened - until Lovetown.
Lovetown: need I explain?
ZooTV: original plans explored touring in late 1992, after the US stadium leg. Never happened and instead happened last.
Popmart: meant to be last, happened last.
Elevation: looked into a tour (not sure if this was meant to be before or after the tentative 2002 European stadiums leg) but obviously never happened.
Vertigo: meant to be last, happened last.

lovetown :heart:

I'd kill for a gig at Windy Hill since it's within walking distance, but yeah, that will never happen.

Hell, Princes Park is probably juuust walking distance too. But again, not going to happen.

As for accommodating large crowds, Horsens and Coimbra seem indicative that U2 are willing to do a couple of shows at a smaller venue if the usual larger venue is tied up with sport.

wait, where abouts do you live? i reported for one of werribee's games at windy hill this year.

it's ridiculous to suggest, as with the temperatures warming up there is bound to be some serious lawn bowling going on, and i don't think they'd be all that happy with the claw.

I'm in Brunswick, about a 30 minute walk from Windy Hill (if that). Even if it were capable of holding a gig - which it quite obviously isn't - I doubt it'd ever get the go-ahead given it's right smack-bang in suburbia. It IS in a good location transport-wise though.

Though, you know, Flemington or the Showgrounds could be feasible ...

I can't see them coming here with this set up if smaller stadiums are the only option. They might let a couple go smaller (Adelaide, Perth), but I think they'd absolutely want the max venues in Sydney and Melbourne at the very least. That means ANZ/SCG and Etihad/MCG.

If U2 really were heading down under in March then an announcement would either have already been made or would be imminent. I still think November is going to be the month, with an announcement and ticket sales in February.
As for Adelaide Oval, ACDC is playing there soon and they sold 40,000 tickets, so a 360 set-up could possibly go close to 50,000.

As much as I'd like to see the show at Adelaide Oval, I can't see it being played anywhere but AAMI Stadium - Robbie Williams got 80,000 a couple years back and U2 would probably want to top that.

I can't see them coming here with this set up if smaller stadiums are the only option. They might let a couple go smaller (Adelaide, Perth), but I think they'd absolutely want the max venues in Sydney and Melbourne at the very least. That means ANZ/SCG and Etihad/MCG.

I've never actually been to them, but Flemington Racecourse or the Royal Melbourne Showgrounds should be able to rival the MCG or Etihad for attendance, no?

As much as I'd like to see the show at Adelaide Oval, I can't see it being played anywhere but AAMI Stadium - Robbie Williams got 80,000 a couple years back and U2 would probably want to top that.
Yep, I'm resigned to another trip to Footy Park :sigh:

Read an interview this week with Robbie and he said he was going through the motions when he toured Oz in 06. Shit, if that was him just walking through a gig, I'd hate to see him when he's on: his gig at Footy Park was all kinds of awesome!

I wholeheartedly expect to be shot down for this vague and unsubtantiated info, but here goes.

A friend of my father is apparently on some sort of planning comittee for Joondalup Arena in Perth. And they're currently trying to put through an application to have the venue's capacity upgraded. Not physically, but just in an acknowledged sense that can allow that number for events.

Now in turn I was told that an upside of this would be that if they got this passed, then they would be trying to get U2 to play there when they tour in March 2010.

I cannot back this up, and that is all I know. Could be complete horseshit, and my heart says it is (Joondalup Arena doesn't strike me as big enough, although an annual music festival is held there anually).

Joondalup Arena is way too small. I wouldnt complain though. Bring it on :clap:

Why does the states and europe get 2 legs and we havent even had 1 leg yet. It not fair:huh:
I was lucky enough to go to see the boys in boston and would love them to come down under!!!

Why does the states and europe get 2 legs and we havent even had 1 leg yet. It not fair:huh:
I was lucky enough to go to see the boys in boston and would love them to come down under!!!

Well, as much as I'd like to agree, I think population plays a big factor here, you understand. California alone has more people than Australia and NZ combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom