UK Dates next Summer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would love them just to clarify whether there's any point in waiting for UK dates... As if there isn't I'm about to splash out on US... Agree on those mentioning the amount of Germany dates... It seems that the European dates announced are all concentrated in certain areas... Nothing is really drawing me towards them, and I've waited so long on UK ones I'm losing out on any other opportunity... I must see them again *nervous twitch*... BUT WHERE? *freaks*

Also, Wembley 1 + 2 seriously rawked! One of the best audiences I'd been in the pit with, so there shouldn't be any negative vibes towards UK's U2 attitude:love:

The shows are still a while away... wouldn't the best indicator of German attendance tendencies be to check the attendance at past shows? Did they sell out on Vertigo, etc.?

Anyway, if there's no UK show in 2010, you could always go to a show in another Euro country and expand your horizons ;)

its 1 thing expanding your horizons, but its another virtually remortgaging your home for a concert, some of us have families, I know for sure my wife & eldest son would want tickets, plus as I'm self employed time off work also costs, I went to Don Valley in August, lost next to no time workwise, & drove there & back costing little extra in fuel, a trip abroad for a concert, U2 or not just wouldn't be possible for me.

its 1 thing expanding your horizons, but its another virtually remortgaging your home for a concert, some of us have families, I know for sure my wife & eldest son would want tickets, plus as I'm self employed time off work also costs, I went to Don Valley in August, lost next to no time workwise, & drove there & back costing little extra in fuel, a trip abroad for a concert, U2 or not just wouldn't be possible for me.

Valid point. I guess I'm just saying that for some, not all, a show in Paris (example) would be just as accessble as a show in London. ~3 hour drive, no problem...

I've got my Paris tix - arrived in the post yesterday. Only snag is the missus picked them up and put two and two togehter when she saw the French writing - she had already said we can't afford to go to France and getting babysitters etc. She was fuming and already threatening to put them on ebay :ohmy:

Really hope they come to mainland UK now otherwise I'll just have to make do with watching the DVD when it comes out (or win euromillions tonight!)

Glastonbury 26th June

US Dates have a too big gap in them not to play

U2 are NOT playing Glastonbury.

Especially not since a Minneapolis gig is about to be announced for 27 June 2010 (give or take a day).

I didn't think you knew tour dates in the future as well........:wink:

To be honest I wouldn't be able to relax into the festival if I knew U2 were headlining, I think I'd be preoccupied 'worrying' about how they'd perform and how it would go down. Dunno why, I'm sure it would be quality. Bono needs to put his money where his mouth is on this particular issue.

minneapolis june 27th, Glastonbury looks totally out of the question now, so it looks like the UK is being completely ignored next year!!!!! DISGUSTED!!!!!

Given what they are doing in Montreal it seems the UK has no chance of gigs. There are plenty of places they could construct something IF they really wanted to play here. Perhaps they are worried the demand wouldn't be there to make it financially viable:shrug:

Perhaps it's all gonna end with (indoor) shows in the UK and Ireland, after South America and Australia / Asia.

Last show : Point Depot - New Years Eve 2010 - over and out!

Just a thought.
And I don't know why I'm thinking this, but just throwing the idea out there.

minneapolis june 27th, Glastonbury looks totally out of the question now, so it looks like the UK is being completely ignored next year!!!!! DISGUSTED!!!!!

Well, if the UK had given stronger support to the tour in 2009, then maybe they would be coming back. Unfortunately, the show in Glasgow had smaller attendance and a smaller gross than on the Vertigo tour. Same with Sheffield VS. the Manchester shows on Vertigo. Cardiff had slightly higher attendance thanks to the 360 configeration, but took months to sellout, while Vertigo Cardiff soldout on the first day of ticket sales.

The second show at Wembley Stadium near London had several thousand people less than the first show, which shows the saturation point in ticket sales had been reached.

Even Dublin had weaker support this time when looking strictly at attendance, although the gross increased by nearly 50%.

I think the recession hit the UK and Ireland pretty hard, and that probably explains the lower turnouts this time.

But, there are several shows in Germany that are not soldout yet, and a show in Spain that is not soldout either. So there are opportunities for UK fans that are willing and able to travel.

I think the topic that the UK stuggled to sell and hit satruation point has been done to death on numerous threads / sites and all of those suggestions have been met with denial, such as U2 having the biggest crowd since the new Wembley opened.

Comparing attendences at Sheffield on 360 to Manchester on Vertigo is a non starter simply because the size of the venues is such a contrast. And the reason U2 had to do a venue like Don Valley in the north rather than Manchester is because they overran when recording the album so limited their choice.

Using the argument that the tour was slow to sell so hence no more UK dates dosn't wash either. If that was true you wouldn't expect to see Germany or France on the next leg.

If there are no dates I think it has more to do with Live Nation's profit margins.

Personally I think we will see a date. If it is true what Larry said about trying to sort out Belfast then maybe they are waiting to get that sorted before they confirm a mainland UK venue. Logistically it makes sense - play the likes of Hampden or Cardiff and then get the ferry over the NorthSea from Holyhead , Fleetwood or Heysham. I just don't believe that they would overlook one of their main markets when they would be wanting to increase the number of sales on their new album.

I think the topic that the UK stuggled to sell and hit satruation point has been done to death on numerous threads / sites and all of those suggestions have been met with denial, such as U2 having the biggest crowd since the new Wembley opened.

Agree with this.

[/QUOTE]Comparing attendences at Sheffield on 360 to Manchester on Vertigo is a non starter simply because the size of the venues is such a contrast. And the reason U2 had to do a venue like Don Valley in the north rather than Manchester is because they overran when recording the album so limited their choice.
[/QUOTE]

Plus the fact that since Manchester City has become the wealthiest football club in the world they no longer think it necessary to hire out their stadium to concerts.

Well, if the UK had given stronger support to the tour in 2009, then maybe they would be coming back. Unfortunately, the show in Glasgow had smaller attendance and a smaller gross than on the Vertigo tour. Same with Sheffield VS. the Manchester shows on Vertigo. Cardiff had slightly higher attendance thanks to the 360 configeration, but took months to sellout, while Vertigo Cardiff soldout on the first day of ticket sales.

The second show at Wembley Stadium near London had several thousand people less than the first show, which shows the saturation point in ticket sales had been reached.

Even Dublin had weaker support this time when looking strictly at attendance, although the gross increased by nearly 50%.

I think the recession hit the UK and Ireland pretty hard, and that probably explains the lower turnouts this time.

But, there are several shows in Germany that are not soldout yet, and a show in Spain that is not soldout either. So there are opportunities for UK fans that are willing and able to travel.

I completely agree. the market in the UK/Ireland seems saturated and going there the year after again might cause 'overkill' and reduce demand a few years later. Glastonbury is out of the question at all, since they are not playing festivals.

The high availability of tickets for German shows is not a surprise. Somehow Germany is not a strong U2 market (relatively).
Sevilla was the only Madonna show not being sold out (47,712 tickets) and one of the poorest selling shows for Springsteens recent tour (24,030 tickets).

Personally I think we will see a date. If it is true what Larry said about trying to sort out Belfast then maybe they are waiting to get that sorted before they confirm a mainland UK venue. Logistically it makes sense - play the likes of Hampden or Cardiff and then get the ferry over the NorthSea from Holyhead , Fleetwood or Heysham. I just don't believe that they would overlook one of their main markets when they would be wanting to increase the number of sales on their new album.

Well, they also overlooked The Netherlands this time. Also considered as one of the main markets. And in the Netherlands, demand for shows are even higher. 2 or 3 shows will easily sell out.

Apart from the market saturation in the UK/Ireland as explained by Maoilbheannacht, another reason might be that they do not find stadiums available during soccer season. Of course, they can invest on stands as they are doing in Montreal. But why, if there are enough other European cities where they can play?

Of course sheffield had a bigger attendance fiqure than manchester, number 1 the size of the stadium is ALOT smaller than the city of manchester stadium, and number 2 manchester had 2 shows to sheffields 1,

as for scotland, it ended up being on the same night as a major football match so of course attendance would be down,

and last but not least U2 set the highest attendance record ever for the millenium stadium, so i dont think it really matters how long it took to sell out, the fact of the matter is it did.

Agree with this.
Comparing attendences at Sheffield on 360 to Manchester on Vertigo is a non starter simply because the size of the venues is such a contrast. And the reason U2 had to do a venue like Don Valley in the north rather than Manchester is because they overran when recording the album so limited their choice.
[/QUOTE]

Plus the fact that since Manchester City has become the wealthiest football club in the world they no longer think it necessary to hire out their stadium to concerts.[/QUOTE]

Wait. There is another football club in Manchester besides Man United? And another stadium besides Old Trafford?!:shrug:

(LOL)

Wait. There is another football club in Manchester besides Man United? And another stadium besides Old Trafford?!:shrug:

(LOL)

I wouldn't laugh too hard - Old Trafford football ground never hosts concerts. Don't ask me why but I'd hazard a guess that its also to do with the fact that Manchester United are rich enough not to need to hire out their venue.

I suppose they could play the Old Trafford Cricket Ground if they really wanted to play somewhere other than Sheffield but I think they only put on a few gigs per year.

Scotland sold poorly because some stubborn idiot at UEFA demanded the Celtic - Arsenal match MUST go ahead that night despite requests from the city to have them on separate nights.

With Celtic and U2 sharing the whole Irish connection thing it meant many of the same people who originally bought U2 tickets were Celtic fans, and most subsequently chose to go to the Celtic game instead (Personally I disagree, i'm a diehard Celtic fan but never considered for 1 second choosing them above U2).

I really hope U2 realised this (Bono seemed to at the gig) and are willing to play Scotland again, hopefully on a less busy night this time. The Glasgow traffic that night was not fun...

Well, if the UK had given stronger support to the tour in 2009, then maybe they would be coming back. Unfortunately, the show in Glasgow had smaller attendance and a smaller gross than on the Vertigo tour. Same with Sheffield VS. the Manchester shows on Vertigo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think its hard to get more people into a venue than it actually fits, I was at Don Valley, & it looked pretty damn full to me, plus, I'm not actually asking/demanding a full on tour, just a couple of dates in a country that has been very loyal to U2 throughout their existence, don't think thats asking for the Earth, is it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think its hard to get more people into a venue than it actually fits, I was at Don Valley, & it looked pretty damn full to me, plus, I'm not actually asking/demanding a full on tour, just a couple of dates in a country that has been very loyal to U2 throughout their existence, don't think thats asking for the Earth, is it?

I'll second this.

Scotland sold poorly because some stubborn idiot at UEFA demanded the Celtic - Arsenal match MUST go ahead that night despite requests from the city to have them on separate nights.

Eh....not the reason at all. The u2 tickets had been on sale for months. The Celtic v Arsenal game only became a reality a few days before the gig. But there were a lot of Tic fans punting their u2 tickets to go to the game instead..(more fool em, can go see Celtic Play every other weekend at home, u2 is a once every 4-5 yrs occurence).but not enuff to impact the overall u2 gig attendance.

I dont see what all the noise is about.....as far as i could see....almost evey seat was taken in the stadium, apart from about 10 rows from the bottom at each end, about the centre .....(Coz it was restricted viewing). the pitch was also full...apart from a lot of dead space to the rear of the stage....which seemed a waste!

It played its part, trust me. I know a lot of people who chose not to go and weren't able to sell their tickets in time but went to the Celtic game anyway. One of them even just didn't fancy the idea of trying to get home through the traffic and decided not to go, which was absolute madness.

Back
Top Bottom