September 6, 2010 - Ataturk Olympic Stadium, Istanbul, Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4U2Play

Refugee
This might be the show of the tour

Don't know what to expect from the crowd, though I suppose there will be a lot of travellers showing up inside the Inner Circle... I wonder if many Greek U2 fans will go?

Stadium looks like it's in the middle of nowhere, GA line should be fun

Ataturk Olympic Stadium

ataturk-olympic-stadium.jpg

k_stad8560.jpg

:heart:if i must choose just one show, i want this one!!! ive never bought tickets to a show in another country before so i'm nervous ill miss out simply because i exhausted my presale code on this leg. i wanted to visit anyway so i took this show as a sign :)

Umm, my wife and I are already planning our 2010 vacation around this date and Athens. :reject:
me too! Before the announcement i was debating whether to visit egypt or turkey and this made up my mind lol ...I actually love that its so far in advance and gives people time to arrange. Now here's hoping those tickets wont be impossible to acquire!

Ataturk Olympic Stadium is far from the city center, on the western outskirts of Istanbul. Transportation there from the city involves private cars or busses on show day. Turkish busses are normally cheap and reliable, so hopefully they have it sorted out on 6 September.

The closest hotel to the stadium that I've found so far is the Courtyard Marriott near the International Airport. It's 5 km from the stadium, with a free shuttle bus from the airport and into the center of Istanbul. Will probably have to get a taxi from the hotel to the stadium, or maybe rent a car at the airport and wage war with the local speed demons.

Reserved a room for two for 127 Euros total for two nights Sept 5-7, 2010. All they need is a credit card number, no prepayment necessary:

New airport hotel in Istanbul, Turkey with free airport & city center transfer service

This might be the one not to miss if you wanna attend an historical U2 gig. I'm already planning Athens and Istanbul. What an amazing trip to look forward to! Now give us Tel Aviv before or after these two and I might be having the trip of my life in 2010. :hyper:

This might be the one not to miss if you wanna attend an historical U2 gig. I'm already planning Athens and Istanbul. What an amazing trip to look forward to! Now give us Tel Aviv before or after these two and I might be having the trip of my life in 2010. :hyper:

:up:

I've an old friend in Istanbul so it'll be great to visit her there again. Is this U2's first show in a Muslim country?

Yes, it's their first show in that region. The farthest east before has been Thessaloniki (speaking in the sense of Europe east).
Turkey is very progressive. Nothing like your usual "Muslim country" though.

Yeah, I had two weeks holiday there to see the solar eclipse in 1999, I was actually there when the earthquake hit. Istanbul is a great city. There should be some very talented belly dancing during Mysterious Ways :)

There have been huge rumours of a show in Dubai/Abu Dhabi as well - could it go Athens - Istanbul - Tel Aviv - UAE?? Talk about taking the band to new fronteirs!

There have been huge rumours of a show in Dubai/Abu Dhabi as well - could it go Athens - Istanbul - Tel Aviv - UAE?? Talk about taking the band to new fronteirs!

Dubai looks doubtful, where would they play? The football stadium is dinky, and I don't think the circular cricket stadium would work. Plus, I don't think U2 would play in a country that bans gays and Jews, but who knows. If the paycheck is large enough...

The circular cricket stadium would work - they'll need to get used to that kind of ground if they are planning on playing the MCG or Etihad in Melbourne, Subiaco in Perth, Adelaide foootball park etc etc on their Aussie leg - so why not?

If not Zayed Sports Centre in Abu Dhabi is a 50,000 seater.

World Stadiums - Jeque Zayed Stadium in Abu Dhabi

Furthermore there is sodomy laws in place in the UAE - which while anti-gay can get you straights in as much trouble! Check out gaydar.com and you'll see there is no shortage of flamboyant gentlemen in the UAE - local and expat. The Jew thing - I'm a Jew. I've been to Dubai. I went after visiting Tel Aviv and flew in via Cairo. No worries.

The Jew thing - I'm a Jew. I've been to Dubai. I went after visiting Tel Aviv and flew in via Cairo. No worries.

Sorry, meant to say they don't allow Israelis in their country. It would be weird for U2 to play Tel Aviv one night, then play the UAE three nights later. Though, I suppose UAE citizens might have a hard time getting into Israel, too!

That Jeque Zayed Stadium looks amazing, I wonder if those are really 50 different entrances? The GA lines would be fun there.

They are a bit iffy on the whole Israeli thing - however times are a changing as it were. Qatar - while not recognising Israel will soon allow Israeli passport holders in. Doha is wanting to host the Olympics and the World Cup - as such they are reforming their immigration and entry policies. It's only a matter of time until the UAE do likewise...

Nonetheless U2 in Abu Dhabi or Dubai would be a massive success. There are more expats than locals and other acts - Robbie Williams, Kylie, Keane, Elton John, Justin Timberlake etc etc - have done very wll there.

The Killers are rumoured to be playing Safa Park - a big open air area that has hosted a few musical festivals previously. Weird venue but not a hotel :)

Alot of bands play the Emirates Palace in Abu Dhabi which is a hotel complex -but has a huge concert venue built into it.

Dubai looks doubtful, where would they play? The football stadium is dinky, and I don't think the circular cricket stadium would work. Plus, I don't think U2 would play in a country that bans gays and Jews, but who knows. If the paycheck is large enough...

If Formula One goes to Abu Dhabi (and they are a few weeks from now), anything can happen.

Dubai seems to have a venue or two that would work, but does Tel Aviv? PopMart was played in a flat field, and they seem reluctant to do that with Zee Klaw (although they're fine with erecting temporary stands that hold a few thousand $250 seats about a mile from the stage, with the rest being GA).

Also, I'm gearing up for the U2 Baghdad->Tehran->Kabul->Islamabad->Kathmandu->Lhasa trek across Eurasia.

Istanbul is a beautiful city- I was there in 2005, and would love to go back, esp if U2 is playing. I'm hoping for a Tel Aviv announcement, though-- that show i would almost definitely try to go to, as I've never been to Israel and I think it would be an epic gig (I've already been to Athens, Istanbul, and Moscow).

Will be interesting to see how the GA line-ups will go in all of these cities who have never hosted a U2 concert....

PS-- for those ladies who are thinking of going to Istanbul, you might want to try to bring a guy friend with you. I was traveling with a guy in Turkey, and we had no problems at all... However, while there I met up with 3 of my girlfriends in Istanbul who had been traveling for 3 weeks in Turkey, and apparently they had some problems with harassment (not enough to ruin their trip, of course, just made things a bit uncomfortable for them).

Does anybody know where I can see seating plan for this concert? And one more thing - do I need to buy ticket fo 7-8 year child? What is the policy about this in Turkey?
Thanks!

I'm having the worst time deciding ... Not " should I/ shouldn't I" ... More like can I?? ...I'm glad it's not sold out yet

I'm having the worst time deciding ... Not " should I/ shouldn't I" ... More like can I?? ...I'm glad it's not sold out yet

I might have an extra GA as I bought four (only needed three), but not sure if another friend will be coming. So if you decide at the last minute to go and I still have a ticket, you can have it. Obviously, there's still plenty of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom