September 6, 2010 - Ataturk Olympic Stadium, Istanbul, Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that ! How much is the GA ticket? I visited the ticket website but I didn't convert the currency. Also according to that site, only redzone is sold out. Learning that is what made me realize i may still have a shot at this.

Just curious to know who has been to istanbul before. The stadium looks really far from the main city and I was curious to know how long it would take to get there from the touristy parts of the city. I'm definitly not interested in staying near the stadium. if I'm going to visit the other side of the planet, I'm going to SEE Istanbul. U2 would be a part of the trip but not my main attraction.

Just curious to know who has been to istanbul before. The stadium looks really far from the main city and I was curious to know how long it would take to get there from the touristy parts of the city. I'm definitly not interested in staying near the stadium. if I'm going to visit the other side of the planet, I'm going to SEE Istanbul. U2 would be a part of the trip but not my main attraction.

from budgetairlinesfootball.co.uk

The stadium is located on the European side of Istanbul in the Olympic Park district called Ikitelli. It is easily accessible from the main roads running between the city centre and the airport.

If the stadium is hosting a big match then free shuttle buses run before the kick off from the airport as well as from Taksim Square in the city centre. The only other way to reach the stadium is by taxi – the fare from the city centre should not cost more than 50YTL (£20). Taxi’s wait on the west side of the stadium after the match to ferry you back to the city centre.

If you are in town to see one of the two club sides playing then do not expect an easy journey to the stadium. In fact the main reason why the crowds are so low at these games may be due to the extreme difficulties you have reaching the stadium. Bus route 149T runs from the main road that passes underneath the train station at Yenikapi which runs from the main Sirkeci train station on the Golden Horn. Tickets cost YTL1.30 for the train and YTL1.50 for the bus. The bus journey takes around 45 minutes, and you will be dropped off at the bottom of the access road. The walk from here is around 15 minutes through landscape that could be described at lunar. On the way back wait on the opposite side of the road for a return bus but be warned you are standing on a hard shoulder of a main road and cars and lorries pass close by!

sounds like fun!:drool:

From a friend who went to a champions league final there he described it as 'in the middle of f***ing nowhere'. The getting there shouldn't be a problem from the centre by the sounds but I imagine the getting back is gonna be a 'reet mare'. I'll thumb a lift with ya!

Wow. Reading about low attendance at the matches makes me wonder if this show will sell enough for them not to cancel.

Thanks for that excerpt by the way!!

That's the philosophy of my friends, my wife, and I. Seeing U2 has given all of us a reason to go to Istanbul, but Istanbul will be the real highlight. We'll be staying near the Blue Mosque and plan on seeing as much of Istanbul as possible. Most of us expect to be there for 5 or 6 days.

Before or after Istanbul, my wife and I will probably take a week or more to see other parts of Turkey. I'm not travelling that far just to see U2. Life is too short to not take the opportunity to learn about new cultures and meet new people.

Hi everyone, :wave:

This is my first proper post but as I have just spent 5 days in Istanbul I thought I may as well give you the benefit of my experience.

Istanbul is supposedly the fifth largest city in the world. Getting places on public transport is a nightmare as there is not much of it and what there is is usually packed out. However the upside is that its very cheap and the new trams are frequent and efficient, just don't expect a seat. There is a flat fare of about £0.75 per journey. You need to buy travel tokens (jetons) before you get on a tram / bus / train. Taxis may be the best bet but most main roads get seriously gridlocked at peak times. Dont even think about hiring a car. As the end of Ramadan approaches then God / Allah help us.....

However don't be put off !! Istanbul is a great city and should make a fab destination for a gig / holiday combo. It may not have the charm of a Paris or a Rome, but it makes up for it in character and its history is incredible. Its probably the most historically important city in the world so read up about it before you travel.

If you are staying in the tourist bit, called Sultanahmet, then hotels of all standards are plentiful, check TripAdvisor. They may get booked up because of Ramadan. We stayed in the Hotel Nena which was small but very good and close to everything in the Old City. Most of the touristy bits are conveniently placed within walking distance of each other but allow about three days to see them all.

From Sultanahmet you should reckon on at least an hour to the stadium via tram and then the bus and I would suspect longer if there is an event on. I have not been to the stadium but can confirm that it is in the middle of nowhere, but it is reasonably close to Ataturk Airport. Close enough if you want to travel light and arrive early on the day of the gig.

If you are flying in from Europe, or another part of Turkey, then you may find you arrive at Istanbul's second airport - Sabiha Gokcen. Please note that this is on the Asian side of the Bosphorus and at least an hour via taxi to Sultanahmet, and probably two hours or more to the stadium. If you are using public transport then work on three hours with several changes to get from this airport to the stadium. There is no direct connection. So if you are thinking of going from Sabiha to the stadium on the day of the gig then allow plenty of time and have your journey well planned in advance. Walking out of the airport and wondering what to do next may not be a good idea.

I will be on holiday in Turkey around that time in Sept 2010. I still have to persuade the missus to extend by a few days and make a small (350 mile) detour. If successful then my son and I will be there on the 6th.

Any questions about Istanbul / Turkey just ask.

All the Best

The Claw

^im hoping to travel a little around the country too.
I stumbled on this site and it looks like Ramadan will be around the date of the show. That'll be really interesting to see, especially if I'm in town towards the end of Ramadan
Ramazan (Ramadan) Dates 2010Ramazan (Ramadan) Dates 2010

Yes, the concert will take place during Ramadan. I wonder if that would explain why the concert isn't yet soldout since many residents will be eating with their friends and families plus doing their prayers.

And The Claw, thanks for the information. I'm really looking forward to seeing Istanbul and Turkey. Are there any other places in Turkey that you would recommend visiting?

Yes, the concert will take place during Ramadan. I wonder if that would explain why the concert isn't yet soldout since many residents will be eating with their friends and families plus doing their prayers.

And The Claw, thanks for the information. I'm really looking forward to seeing Istanbul and Turkey. Are there any other places in Turkey that you would recommend visiting?

Hi Faming C - Sorry about the long post.

There are many great places to visit in Turkey but it depends on what you want. If you are into history and different cultures then you cant go wrong. Don't be surprised to stumble across an ancient amphitheatre or temple ruins in the middle of nowhere and have the place to yourself. The historical sites are too numerous to mention but try to avoid the tourist traps such as Ephesus. A visit to Istanbul is very tiring so maybe best to do this at the beginning then go and visit somewhere less frenetic and / or chill out on a beach.

The main 'holiday' destinations stretch down the coast of the Mediterranean from Bodrum, which is approx 400 - 500 miles south of Istanbul, down to Antalya. All along this stretch is scenically beautiful. The whole of that area can be thought of as 'westernised'. There is everything from 5 star all inclusive resorts to backpackers cabins on remote beaches. My favourite spots are around Marmaris and the Datca peninusula. We have an apartment in Bodrum which is reckoned to be the 'St Tropez' of Turkey but that may be stretching it a bit. Its also a hop skip and jump to the Greek Islands of the Aegean from there. A 'Blue Cruise' down the coast on a traditional wooden Gulet is a great way to chill out for a week and not too expensive if you share. A few days in Istanbul, U2, then a weeks Blue Cruise, now thats tempting.

Away from the coast Turkey is still spectacular but rural and very remote and probably for the more adventurous. If you can get to the Cappadocia region it is well worth the effort. Driving is OK as roads outside of the towns and cities are empty but don't underestimate how a big a country it is. The best way to get around is to fly which is cheap, especially if you can book early, and reliable (Pegasus and Atlasjet have online booking, printable tickets etc and can be recommended).

Places to avoid are the far north east of the country and obviously those around the Syrian border and Kurdistan / Iraq !!! Also remember that it will be hot. Daytime temperatures at the end of August / early September still likely to be 90 - 100 deg F. We had 120 deg F this July.

Have fun,

Cheers

The Claw

Thanks again Claw.

At this time, we're leaning towards heading toward the Middle East after our visit to Turkey. Would it be worthwhile to stop in Ankara?

The Cappadocia region is definitely on our list of places to visit. I think that's where we'll likely go, as then we could head to Ankara and from there head to the Middle East (where to be determined).

A blue cruise is definitely intriguing, and I'll have to do more research on that. Is there any particular blue cruise journey you would recommend? Hmmm, Istanbul for five days, a blue cruise for one week, and then Cappadocia and Ankara for five days sounds like a good 2.5 week trip.

Yes thanks Claw!
I'd love to make it down to Damascus and Petra...picking and choosing is really difficult...it's hard only because I'm sure I can't get a month off needed to see these places at warp speed. :lol:

as for Ephesus, consider me "trapped"...I'd still love to see it

Yes thanks Claw!
I'd love to make it down to Damascus and Petra...picking and choosing is really difficult...it's hard only because I'm sure I can't get a month off needed to see these places at warp speed. :lol:

as for Ephesus, consider me "trapped"...I'd still love to see it

We might be heading in that direction as well (except for Ephesus, but who knows). Would love to go to Israel and Jordan as well, but like you said too much to see in such a short period of time.

A 'Blue Cruise' down the coast on a traditional wooden Gulet is a great way to chill out for a week and not too expensive if you share. A few days in Istanbul, U2, then a weeks Blue Cruise, now thats tempting.

Ooh, this does sound tempting. I was thinking of doing a sailing trip around the Greek islands after Istanbul, but maybe this would be a good alternative!

The Stones played in Istanbul in 1998 and had very poor attendance. 28,000 people. I don't know if it's the same stadium U2 are playing, but I'm sure they'll do better. The Stones have never been back.

Hi again everyone,

Flaming_C - I've never been to Ankara so I cannot say what it is like, but having read about it it perhaps does not have the pull of Istanbul. Apart from Istanbul I'm not sure that Turkey has that many 'great' cities. There are hundreds of options if you fancy a Blue Cruise, just google it. You probably cannot go wrong with any of the locations on the Med but if I had a favourite it would be the Marmaris/ Datca peninsula area as it is so unspoilt, so not the place if you want to live it up.

Another nice area with lots to see and do is that between the small towns of Fethiye and Kalkan. As well as blue cruises there are lots of historical sites such as Xanthos, and Patara, which is hidden away in the sand dunes of the beach. You can also go rafting / tubing down the Saklikent Gorge and best of all a tandem paraglide jump from Mt Babadag landing on the famous beach at Olu Deniz - its is an absolute blast!! (SkySports at Olu Deniz is the best company if you fancy it but for some reason Google does not like their web site)

Outsider - I can understand why Ephesus is on peoples tick lists, it was on mine, but having been there it is by far the worst historical site I have visited. Its such a shame. You are treated like cattle - pushed in at one end and spat out at the other, and the crowds ....I don't do crowds, (except U2 gigs). If you must go then get there early - before it opens - and be the first in. I'm not saying don't go but if you only visit one historical site in Turkey then try not to make it Ephesus. There are so many others, maybe not as big or as famous, but are far better in terms of atmosphere and setting. Pergamum, Priene, and Aphrodisias being good examples.

KittyKat416 - my family and I have sailed round the western Greek Islands in a small (30ft) yacht and it was by far the best holiday we have had. I have never done a blue cruise but know people who have and they have had a great time.

Acrobat - the stadium is not the same as that used by the Stones. I think it was built just a few years ago. I don't think any major rock bands have performed there before. I do have some concerns that they may have trouble filling it - but I hope not.

For anyone planning a trip then Lonely Planet Guide to Turkey is a good purchase.

Cheers

The Claw

For anyone planning a trip then Lonely Planet Guide to Turkey is a good purchase.

The Lonely Planet website is a good one!
I checked out "Istanbul to Cairo on a shoestring" from the library.
I don't have 2 months to do the whole 9 yards but it is giving me some options to weigh.

Israel and Cairo will be for another time unfortunately.

Hi again everyone,

Flaming_C - I've never been to Ankara so I cannot say what it is like, but having read about it it perhaps does not have the pull of Istanbul. Apart from Istanbul I'm not sure that Turkey has that many 'great' cities. There are hundreds of options if you fancy a Blue Cruise, just google it. You probably cannot go wrong with any of the locations on the Med but if I had a favourite it would be the Marmaris/ Datca peninsula area as it is so unspoilt, so not the place if you want to live it up.

Another nice area with lots to see and do is that between the small towns of Fethiye and Kalkan. As well as blue cruises there are lots of historical sites such as Xanthos, and Patara, which is hidden away in the sand dunes of the beach. You can also go rafting / tubing down the Saklikent Gorge and best of all a tandem paraglide jump from Mt Babadag landing on the famous beach at Olu Deniz - its is an absolute blast!! (SkySports at Olu Deniz is the best company if you fancy it but for some reason Google does not like their web site)

Sold!!!

I got my tickets as well. Anyone else going to Istanbul?

Unfortunately, our plans for an extended vacation in Turkey has been ruled out due to work. We'll have to make another visit to Turkey another time.

Yay! glad you got the tickets and am looking forward to exchanging tickets with you next month when you are in town. It's time for me to start my research for the trip..

Flaming C, are you U2's official ticket tout in Eastern Europe:lol:

Junan and I are friends, and she, four other friends, my wife, and I are all meeting up in Istanbul. So, it'll be a mini-tribal gathering for us.

Can't wait for U2 (and Snow Patrol) in Turkey

Going from South Africa to watch the concert and do some tourist spotting around the rest of turkey :).

There appears to be lots of tickets available, possibly something to do with the end of Ramadan? Hopefully the locals will snap up all the remaining tickets so that we have a full stadium.

Just writing to say I hope you all have an AMAZING time in Turkey ! The stars did not align for me and my heart is broken :sad:

I do hope to visit within 2011 or 2012.

Hope you guys post LOTS of pictures of the show and that beautiful country. Have fun! :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom