September 12, 13 - Soldier Field - Chicago PART THREE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife and I went to Cubs game (with dan) and will see everyone at HRH tonight! No line for me either.

Hey all,
I got some GAs for Saturday during today's ticket drop. :hyper:
Problem is, Ticketbastard only allowed will call. Anyone know when will call opens at Soldier Field? It's 2 hours before kickoff for Bears games, but that won't help me since I need the tix before the gates open at 5 (and because I want to be in line well before then).

Please please please tell me will call is open in the morning!!!!

I'm in the same situation, but TM told me I could only pick up the ticket "90 minutes before the show." I didn't think of this as a problem, but if the gates open at 5, and 7 is considered showtime, we're screwed. That means we can't get the tickets until after the gates are open and people are pouring in. Am I wrong?

posted on u2.com a few minutes ago by a moderator (baja)
Just heard from Baja
"queue disrupted by police, that's twice now. People wearing wristbands but venue security not honoring them at all and no camping"

hope it doesnt get silly in the morning

Just heard from Baja
"queue disrupted by police, that's twice now. People wearing wristbands but venue security not honoring them at all and no camping"

Lulz.....hope those with wristbands don't call the whaaaaaabulance

hey chris - I thought you said Bono was singing...you even made a sign

-dan

Just heard from Baja

Interesting. I have no idea what's gonna happen now. What a mess.

I went down to Soldier Field today for a wee walk around. Found the GA queue eventually just when I was going to give up. I'd walked around the stadium and asked the security guys where the queue was and they all said there wasn't one.

Then I saw a couple get out of a taxi and the guy was wearing a U2 T-shirt and they showed me where the queue was hiding. And it had moved again since they'd left it so they had to do an extra bit of searching.

Hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I thought it was a bit weird that there are so many respectful and honourable statues and plaques to the US military "defending our liberty" at Soldier Field - but then we're not allowed to sit down, have a few drinks, make some new mates, play Scrabble and, well, wait quietedly. There were no such restrictions on queuing at any of the stadiums in Europe as far as I'm aware. In fact the queue was often assisted or catered for by the local authorities with barriers, portaloos, and security. U2 fans are going to queue, so it would be better if this was accepted and allowances made for it.

It was a scorching day today. Chicago is a spectacular place, a perfect spot to kick off the north American leg of the tour.

I've just popped back to my host's pad to get ready for meeting the Interference mob at the Hard Rock Hotel. See y'all in a couple of hours!

It was never a problem on the Vertigo and Elevation Tours, but now that the shows are in stadiums they say no camping out

I went down to Soldier Field today for a wee walk around. Found the GA queue eventually just when I was going to give up. I'd walked around the stadium and asked the security guys where the queue was and they all said there wasn't one.

Then I saw a couple get out of a taxi and the guy was wearing a U2 T-shirt and they showed me where the queue was hiding. And it had moved again since they'd left it so they had to do an extra bit of searching.

Hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I thought it was a bit weird that there are so many respectful and honourable statues and plaques to the US military "defending our liberty" at Soldier Field - but then we're not allowed to sit down, have a few drinks, make some new mates, play Scrabble and, well, wait quietedly. There were no such restrictions on queuing at any of the stadiums in Europe as far as I'm aware. In fact the queue was often assisted or catered for by the local authorities with barriers, portaloos, and security. U2 fans are going to queue, so it would be better if this was accepted and allowances made for it.

It was a scorching day today. Chicago is a spectacular place, a perfect spot to kick off the north American leg of the tour.

I've just popped back to my host's pad to get ready for meeting the Interference mob at the Hard Rock Hotel. See y'all in a couple of hours!

Boy. Good luck to all in GA tomorrow. I'm on the 200 level this show.

Oh, and I left the GA queue about 1pm or so and it was already over 70 people. Almost all Americans with a small posse of Canadians AFAIK. Where are all my fellow Europeans ...?

Yah, liberty is only relative. We are free compared to the DPRK. Not so free compared to the Netherlands.

Maybe it's a cultural thing?

I don't know. It could be that stadium staff are irritated that people started arriving over 48 hours before show time, and I think that many people are in agreement that that is excessive. I bet if people had started arriving around now, or even a few hours from now, staff would have been a lot more pleasant about it.

Last tour at United Center, I don't think anyone arrived before the night before (correct me if I'm wrong), and the staff were awesome, couldn't do enough for us.

On the other hand, the arena in Detroit last tour was a nightmare, they wouldn't allow us onto their property till 3 pm the afternoon of the show, stated that they would not honour any fan-made lines, said that if anyone went onto their property, the police would be called. When we finally did get on the grounds, they forced us to walk a long way and across a busy freeway to use gas station washrooms because they wouldn't let us into the building to use theirs, and the security were bullying, micro-managing jerks.

Surely there has to be a happy medium between the two?

Ok guys, sorry if this has been posted. I'm about 20 pages behind at this point!! :)

I went down to the soundcheck and found the makeshift GA queue line. I talked to the guy handing out the wristbands. He told me that security was planning on honoring the wristbands as long as folks were off the premises by 11pm and back there at 6am, no earlier. Take if for what it's worth, but it came from the horses mouth.

Since the earliest bus doesn't go to SF until 6:43, I'm left with a)walking, b) driving and parking at the Acquarium or c) taking a taxi.

For those going to the Hard Rock, what's the best way to get there? Is there parking, or is driving out? Is there a bus that goes down (or up?) Michigan Ave?

Ok guys, sorry if this has been posted. I'm about 20 pages behind at this point!! :)

I went down to the soundcheck and found the makeshift GA queue line. I talked to the guy handing out the wristbands. He told me that security was planning on honoring the wristbands as long as folks were off the premises by 11pm and back there at 6am, no earlier. Take if for what it's worth, but it came from the horses mouth.

Since the earliest bus doesn't go to SF until 6:43, I'm left with a)walking, b) driving and parking at the Acquarium or c) taking a taxi.

For those going to the Hard Rock, what's the best way to get there? Is there parking, or is driving out? Is there a bus that goes down (or up?) Michigan Ave?

Google CTA. There are bus routes that take you everywhere.

How far of a walk up Michigan Avenue is it? If you have time and it's not more than a mile or two, walking up/down Michigan Avenue is really amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom