Philly Fans - What Are You Going to Do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, they'll be back. Like I said on another thread, back during the Vertigo Tour, Toronto didn't get any dates on the first leg. The closest one was maybe an 8 hour drive away. In a different country. You have the option of going to NY, which is really close and you know that they'll be back in 2010. Sure it sucks now, but this happens to almost everybody at some time and frankly, you're not in a terrible position compared to some other people who practically have to fly across the country to see a show (my friend who will be flying to TO is a good example).

I know it sucks, but having survived this last tour, it really isn't the end of the world...

It sucks because we have to spend more money. They are trying to save us money by keeping the ticket prices low and now we have to spend money to travel to see them. That makes a whole lot of sense

It's a good thing they are dropping ticket prices, everyone has to travel ha. Someday, they should do a 50 states tour. Thet'd rock

SMB

The Philadelphia metropolitan area is the fifth largest in the United States. To relegate it to "get there when we get there" status is absurd and insulting.

The Philadelphia metropolitan area is the fifth largest in the United States. To relegate it to "get there when we get there" status is absurd and insulting.

I think you should burn all your U2 cds etc., and then never listen to them ever again. That will teach them to fuck Philly over! :wink:

East Rutherford is southern New York City in the same way that Camden is east Philadelphia. It's only legal stuff that prevents it from being the same thing (silly state lines and whatnot).

If they were playing Camden I'd be joyous right now. It's the same thing.

Dude, NOBODY from New York looks at East Rutherford as southern New York City.
And, I've been to Camden. I'm not too sure Philadelphians would even want to be associated with that town. That place is a dump.

There's plenty of gaps in the tour schedule, so unclench, stay tuned and hopefully, the Boys will come to Philly. But, if not. Giants Stadium awaits you.

If there is no Philly show announced before the sale dates then Giants Stadium is a most. And Boston and D.C. will also follow. I can't wait, I'll try as long as its not 5 hrs and have to sit in the rain like I did in Pittsburgh.

I'm in NYC and from Boston... and Giants Stadium is like 20 minutes away, but like 3 hours traffic wise... I guess I'll take the bus. Point is, probably easier for you to drive from Philly to the show than me to get there, so I feel your pain.

I seriously doubt they would not have a show in Philly... I guess it will be on the 3rd or 4th leg though...

It sucks, but at least you have easier options than some people. I'd like a Philly show too as I've never seen them play there and it's great to go to see them play in a new city.

I think it is kind of dumb on there part to play NFL stadiums for 6 weeks during the 3 months of the year that they are used.

I think it is kind of dumb on there part to play NFL stadiums for 6 weeks during the 3 months of the year that they are used.

I agree with you there. These Football stadiums are actually just sitting around unused for 8 months. They only get used from Sept - Dec and possibly January. So U2 decided that that is the best time to tour the US?? :doh:

One option could have been starting their stadium tour in the US during the summer and going to Europe for the second leg in the Fall

I can't believe the thriving metropolis that is Norman Oklahoma got a show before PHILADELPHIA.

Also can all the holier then thou people who keep telling Philly fans to go simmer down please go away.

They should have started the US Leg in the Summer, because like many have mentioned, NFL stadiums go unused the vast majority of the year.

Dude, NOBODY from New York looks at East Rutherford as southern New York City.
And, I've been to Camden. I'm not too sure Philadelphians would even want to be associated with that town. That place is a dump.

There's plenty of gaps in the tour schedule, so unclench, stay tuned and hopefully, the Boys will come to Philly. But, if not. Giants Stadium awaits you.

For concert purposes? Both absolutely are associated with their cities.

Yesterday I was going crazy. I couldnt believe it. But I have had some time to think. There is no way we wont get a show at some point on the tour. If its not the first leg, so be it. Let them get warmed up and into their groove. Philadelphia and WMMR played a large role witht he band in the beginning days. They know this and there is no way ther ewont be a stop along the way. This will turn into a year and a half long tour. They will stop in at least once. Plus lets be honest, there are places that have been waiting for U2 stop in for much longer than we have. Plus a drive to DC or North Jersey isnt the worst thing. What is going to be tuff, is that now there are 10's of thousands of people from the Philadlephia area, Delaware, South Jersey, upstate PA that would normally come to Philadelphia for the show, that are now going to be scrambling for tickets along with everyone in NY and DC. More demand...higher ticket broker prices. Thats the worst part. I dont even know if i am going to spend 3 or 4 hundred dollars for 2 tickets this time around. I usually have u2 ticket money set aside, but not this time. thank god for utube bootlegs!!!

Does anyone know when the pre-sale for the DC and New Jersey shows go on sale?

I'm just wondering, If I buy pre sale tickets to DC and then a week later they announce a Philly show, I'm going to be pretty bummed out .

I just hope the entire tour schedule is out before the tickets go on sale. That's all.

I was listening to WMMR again today. The morning guys, Preston & Steve said that they had talked to someone on "good authority" and that the band will play Philadelphia in 2010. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing, I just want to see them. You can listen to their podcast on the WMMR website, they talk about the concert about halfway through their show.

I was listening to WMMR again today. The morning guys, Preston & Steve said that they had talked to someone on "good authority" and that the band will play Philadelphia in 2010. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing, I just want to see them. You can listen to their podcast on the WMMR website, they talk about the concert about halfway through their show.

That good authority is probably Pierre. I would love to see them at citizens bank, the linc, or even Frankli field again. I hope by that time for some reason the tou doesnt go indoors.

I agree with you there. These Football stadiums are actually just sitting around unused for 8 months. They only get used from Sept - Dec and possibly January. So U2 decided that that is the best time to tour the US?? :doh:

One option could have been starting their stadium tour in the US during the summer and going to Europe for the second leg in the Fall

European football(soccer) leagues play in the fall. The NFL schedule will be released in mid-April. If the Eagles have a home game that weekend, there's the answer. A lot of the shows being played are at college stadiums as well.

Why is everyone saying 2010 like that's a shock? Of course they're playing in 2010. They should be playing it both times though. If NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago, and LA are all getting shows on both legs, Philly should be too. It's a fucking huge city with large numbers in the suburbs. It's bigger than DC.

It's a fucking huge city with large numbers in the suburbs. It's bigger than DC.

Charlottesville's population is 45,000 (65,000 counting students) and they got a show. Go figure. They do have a vacant stadium though, apparently.

Can the people in Philly get to the NY concert in 2-3 hours? (I'm asking because I don't know the area well) If so, then really, you are in a MUCH better position than many other US fans. Look at the entire North Cal, Pacific Northwest, most of the middle of the country, etc.

Not to say it doesn't suck for you, I get what you are disappointed, but from the outcry on this board, I was assuming there was no concert within driving distance for all the Philly fans, when really it seems there is? It would be like those of us in San Diego throwing a fit because we have to go to Pasadena to see the show - does it suck, yes, because there is no public transportation from SD to Pasadena, and its a 2-3 hour drive. Plus, the Rose Bowl generally sucks. But honestly, I am just glad I don't live in Northern Cal or some other area where there is no show within driving distance!!

That being said, I am seriously pulling for all of us fans who were hoping for a show in our city - there is still hope, you never know!!:applaud: I hope Philly gets its show in 2009!:heart:

It's about a 3 hour drive from the city to North Jersey, a little less from South Jersey, a little more from suburbs west and south of the city.

But my biggest problem, personally, is that I'll be at college at Penn State, so it'll take me a three to four hour bus ride to get back to the area, and then I'd have to find another piece of public transportation to get to a show in ER or DC.

For concert purposes? Both absolutely are associated with their cities.

Right, "absolutely". I've been going to that stadium since before you were born and no one's ever called East Rutherford, NJ a southern New York City for "concert purposes". But, I'll take East Rutherford over Camden any day I suppose.

We also have to compete with a lot of other people for tickets to the shows too. It makes it worse when people from other areas of the country have to get tickets to that show too.

It's about a 3 hour drive from the city to North Jersey, a little less from South Jersey, a little more from suburbs west and south of the city.

It's alot less than 3 hours to get from Philly to Northern NJ (where Giants Stadium is). I know I've done it in less than 2 hours and Map Quest says about 1 hour and 44 minutes from City Hall in Philly to Giants stadium.

And while it sucks there's no Philly show on this leg, Giants Stadium is not that far. They will get to Philly in 2010.:up:

But my biggest problem, personally, is that I'll be at college at Penn State, so it'll take me a three to four hour bus ride to get back to the area, and then I'd have to find another piece of public transportation to get to a show in ER or DC.

3Hours??? You can leave Philly, cross the GW Bridge find your way into Manhatten, park and check into your hotel in less than 3 hours. From CC Philadelphia im sure you can get to the Meadowlands in less than 2 hours. If your in Pennstate its a 5 or 6 hour drive into Philadelphia anyway. You may be able to get from Pennstate to DC in less time it would take to get to Philly. A beaver Stadium show would be real cool.

The drive up the turnpike really isn't the issue, it's competing with all of NJ, NY, and PA to get tickets. I'm shooting for Giants Stadium this round, but if I don't get tickets, I'm not paying the inflated resale prices that will hit Ticketsnow and such.

The drive up the turnpike really isn't the issue, it's competing with all of NJ, NY, and PA to get tickets. I'm shooting for Giants Stadium this round, but if I don't get tickets, I'm not paying the inflated resale prices that will hit Ticketsnow and such.

That's what I'm worried about too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom