October 12, 14 - Dallas/Houston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
portada.jpg

Another photo with mexican soccer fans.

Finally found a place to stay in at the Houston show. Totally forgot I had a cousin that lives in Houston and her apartment is only 3 blocks away!!!!

You can get a good rate at hotwire. One of the hotels may be the Sheraton which is near the ballpark. I'm tempted to book there just so I don't have to get up so early in the morning and I have a place to park.

you know something still bothers me. so the center hung screen will indeed be rolled up for U2, but wouldn't it still get in the way somehow. like the center spire, wouldnt the screen obstruct the view?

If the screens gets rolled up to the highest point even the very tip of the spire will not get obstructed for viewing. Taking a glance at photos, the Claw´s heigth barely reachs the top terrace. The archs are raised at an incredibles 292 feet above the field, that exactly doubles the Claw´s heigth (146). So we got two giants, the stadium, the Claw... anyone saw godzilla or a transformer around recently?:hmm:

I hope that the led screens of the terraces get sincronized with the show, just like they been used in arenas for the Vertigo tour.

And I´m getting more convinced that the best US stadium for the Claw is this one. Sorry mr. Williams and mr. Fisher, the toy will look tiny in there, but not less beautiful luckily. :hyper:

from what someone else posted earlier in the thread, the screen will not be pulled up...it will be lowered under the floor.

-dan

the first football game from the new stadium is tonight and it will be on fox

titans vs cowboys

8p eastern / 5p pacific

mccartney played there a couple of days ago

-dan

i was going through the dallasnews.com review of the mccartney concert...a lot of comments critical of the stadium and post-show traffic:

Getting IN. Getting AROUND, Getting GOING and Getting OUT was a large hassle…

GETTING IN:
Got there couple of hours early due to warnings of rush hour and Rangers traffic AND to be able to tour the new Cowboy Stadium as well as enjoy the show. Unfortunately, with the other 50,000 folks, I stood outside on the concrete for over an hour before the doors opened between 6:30 and 7.

GETTING AROUND:
The security personnel seemed intrusive and snobbish… My girlfriend was told “NO CAMERA PICTURES” about an hour before anything had even started! She was using her telephone!!! AND we must have had our tickets scanned a half dozen times. You weren’t supposed to leave your “assigned floor” based on your ticket seating, we were told. My reply was “Based on the COST of these tickets, I want to get my money’s worth”!!

GETTING GOING:
It was late starting… not atypical of a rock concert, but this was accented by the fact we all still had to stand outside in the heat while Paul did his sound checks. I had to use my new PMcC Tee to wipe the sweat from my head! When inside, we were treated to a video of Cowboy World getting built before the concert started and I expected to see Paul on the Gigantic Scoreboard Video Screen… no luck ‘cause it wasn’t turned on until the end of the very last encore!

GETTING OUT:
Getting in wasn’t too bad, getting OUT was a nightmare. A sea of motorists lined up at exits that weren’t moving and others making their own way over curbs and such to escape. Little or no direction OR security AND the parking lot was full of guys walking around selling bootleg tee-shirts! Where were all the security guys so concerned if I wanted to go to a snack bar not on my ticket level???

Traffic - all considered = A
(Randol Mill frm the west & out same way; fairly smooth considering the mass amt of people, was expecting much worse and know some did)

Cowboys Stadium (for a concert) = D-
(stuck in long, shoulder to shoulder, HOT AS HELL tunnel FOREVER trying to get to Floor, and just nearly passed out! RIDICULOUS! It will probably be a superb FOOTBALL/Sports venue, but didn't anyone plan on Floor seating for things, like say ... a concert?)

Great show. Acoustics were a little muddled, but the set was solid. If you're going to "JerryLand" you better take a sack full of cash. Two beers (domestic) and a water..........$21.

The stadium is awesome but the prices are OUTRAGEOUS! $8.50 for nachos, $8.00 for a 16oz bottle of beer? $30 for parking. Come on Jerry!

As for the stadium, the staff, the acoustics, and the logistics of getting people in and out, well I can't describe how awful because I can't use bad words like that here. If I did, they'd delete my comments. For one example... from the time we stood up to leave our seats and walk to the lot next to the stadium till we were turning onto the street was an hour. I won't be going back there for ANY event!

I was suffering from heat exhaustion by the time they let us in the stadium so it was difficult to enjoy the concert. Starting time was supposed to be 7:30; warm-up band with terrible accoustics made the headache worse. Paul didn't start playing until 9 PM. He was good, but the overall experience was a nightmare. Definitely not worth the 400+ dollars spent on two tickets. It will be a very long time before I attend another event at the new Cowboys Stadium.

What really disappointed me though, were the acoustics. We were on row 24 on the floor, and the sound was, at best, only acceptable at times, mainly during songs that were less full-on. Those who regularly attend big rock shows at venues that are not purpose-built for music will probably say “Yeah, and?” but I expected more from a brand new high-tech facility that touts itself as a primo venue for all types of spectacles. Clearly, from the look of it, the sound system was state-of-the-art, but probably the sad truth is that you simply can’t get inspiring sound in a place as cavernous as an enclosed football field.

kinda makes me want to stay across the street at the days inn & almost makes me wish i had a good seat in the stands....almost

-dan

still going through the reviews...

one interesting item of note is they didn't tuck away the big screen, they used it for the last couple songs.

they also have some kind of cool vip package where you can be inside for the soundcheck:

My daughter and I had VIP tickets for the Paul show in Tulsa -- Soundcheck, dinner, and 3rd row center floor seats -- It was pricey; but we both agreed that we got our money's worth. Soundcheck was just another 1-1/2 hour concert, but with much less structure.

He began with "Matchbox", continued with "Honey Don't", and "All My Lovin'". Plus many, many more, some of which were just partial songs because he was trying out each instrument for sound levels. It was not only interesting, but for me, very entertaining. He chatted with the audience (all 47 of us); and just kept working. When an audience member shouted out a request, he shouted back, "Soundcheck!! I get to choose!" And would tear into another oldie like "San Francisco Bay Blues" which Eric Clapton does such a great job of on his "Unplugged" album.

Well, Paul and band did a very remarkable job, too. I would just like to say that if ever anyone gets to see a soundcheck of Paul's, DO IT!!!!!

-dan

when i called the days inn a month or so ago they did they there was an extra charge for parking.

i'm more nervous about taking forever and a day to get out after the show...it would be so much easier to literally walk across the street. i wouldn't mind a little further walk (mile+) depending on what maryann finds.

-dan

maybe everything we discussed regarding the screen being lowered and moved for the show was incorrect.

there is a major shit-storm brewing after one of the titans punters hit the bottom of the scoreboard friday night...

Dallas Cowboys' videoboard issues warrant discussion among competition committee, Jeff Fisher says - ESPN

The discussion was specific enough, the source said, that if it is safe and feasible to make an alteration to the screen, the Cowboys have a window of opportunity after their Sept. 28 "Monday Night Football" home game against Carolina because they do not return to Cowboys Stadium until Oct. 25 vs. Atlanta. Jones reportedly planned to temporarily raise the board by 25 feet to accommodate sightlines for a scheduled U2 concert in October.

-dan

has anybody booked a room anywhere yet?

i found a place a little further out from the days inn that's probably similar in quality (average at best), but on one of the main roads and it's half the price for sunday & monday night.

as i search north and east of the stadium, things get very expensive.

-dan

has anybody booked a room anywhere yet?

i found a place a little further out from the days inn that's probably similar in quality (average at best), but on one of the main roads and it's half the price for sunday & monday night.

as i search north and east of the stadium, things get very expensive.

-dan

if you search on hotwire, there's a 3.5 star hotel for 51. If you go on betterbidding's forums it says it's probably a sheraton near the rangers ballpark. book at your own risk though. and i don't know what their parking policy will be.

i havent booked anything yet, honestly i have no idea what im waiting on. I sort of want to stay in a nice place with all the amenities, maybe even covered parking and walking distance to the stadium? And a nice bar to come back to after the show so i can have a few rounds, which would save me from going out on the town.

if you search google maps, you're not going to find that combination when it comes to the stadium.

the nicer stadiums are too far to walk

and i only found two that are close enough to walk, but they aren't all that great

one of my traveling friends will be booking a room at at one of the close places before the end of the week

-dan

according to the link:

the rate on sunday is $129
the rate on monday is $199

you could always try and priceline it

-dan

Well, I guess we're not much help. Mr.Z booked a nice suite at the Sheraton downtown (about 15 miles away) since this is our little mini vacation, he wanted something nice an didn't really care how close we are to the stadium. We'll have a car so we'll have to figure out the parking sitch as things get closer. So there, Phx, Vegas, Dallas all booked. Just LA to worry about now. *phew*

So, Houston will be U2 concert number 13 for me. Does that mean I will be highly unlucky till 2010 when they come to Montreal? lol. Hopefully by then dates are announced and I'll have tix for the show

SMB

so i drove by Cowboys Stadium on sunday, what a site to behold, i even went inside since they were doing tours. The thing is...at least from my perspective....there's really not very many places to park. Although there is a baseball stadium adjacent to the football stadium and there may have been extra parking to the south of it all. On the other side is a Wal mart, which i dont know if you can park in there. Im tempted to book a room at that nice big Sheraton thats a mile away and just walk to the damn thing. You would think with a baseball stadium, football stadium, six flags over texas, and a couple of water parks there would be more hotels around the area. Maybe there are and i just missed them somehow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom