October 1 - Scott Stadium - Charlottesville VA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really a local, but I live in Virginia. Charlottesville is a college town with a fantastic music scene. The downtown area is lovely and worth walking around if you have time before the show. If you like what people call "Americana" music - Gillian Welch, the Felice Brothers, Old Crow Medicine Show, that kind of thing - Charlottesville is a great place to be. U2 is hardly the typical kind of act, but because it's a college town, and the nearest major city (DC) is two hours away, I expect a great crowd.

And it's also the home town of the Dave Matthews Band. :D

Wow .. that would be a great stadium show, I think!

MsPurrl and I saw U2 at the Notre Dame basketball arena back in 2001 and that was a venue of 10,000 -- almost like U2 playing your prom. ;-)

I wish I had vacation time to join you, MsPurrl, but I don't!

I wish you could, too! I figure the stadium has to be about as long as any other football field (100 yards), plus the end zones. But it's sure not as "tall" as Soldier Field.

Anything good worth doing in Waynesboro area:hmm:

I will have four Chitlins w/ me ages 20 18 15 13:ohmy:

Not a lot in Waynesboro, itself. Between Waynesboro and Staunton, along Route 250 to the west, there is the Frontier Culture Museum, which is pretty cool. And in Charlottesville, there is Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home, which is well worth a visit, especially with the "chitlins"--historical and educational, but still a wonderful thing.

Anything good worth doing in Waynesboro area:hmm:

I will have four Chitlins w/ me ages 20 18 15 13:ohmy:

Skyline Drive itself is pretty scenic. I'm not sure if the leaves turn color that early, but it's very scenic when they do. I had a very nice (yet grueling) bike ride along Skyline dr. years ago.

Who:der:

For me going to a Museum would be like watching paint dry or grass grow or Golf on TV:|

L:ohmy:L

The Navy Pier in ChiCLAWgo was really really nice:love:

It's not a "museum" as you might think of one: dark old building with musty exhibits.

FCMV Home

And ntalwar is right: The Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway are beautiful drives, with overlooks and trails where you can get out and take short hikes. I highly recommend the Humpback Rocks area on the Blue Ridge Parkway, five miles south of the junction of U.S. 250 and the Parkway/Skyline Drive at Rockfish Gap.

Sethvincent: Between Cville and Wboro, there are many wineries and a couple of breweries (one close to highway). Well, maybe this is not for the children, but you may enjoy it. :hyper:

Some wineries are very casual and let the kids wander and kick a soccer ball around...

This area is known for its hiking and great views. There is a small arcade/go kart place called Fastrax which is right off exit 94 from 64 in Wboro. Call for the hours since I think they operate in the afternoons and weekends.

There is also a park with tennis courts and soccer fields in Wboro. In Cville, there is a skateboard park. What do your kids like to do?

Sethvincent: Between Cville and Wboro, there are many wineries :hyper:

What do your kids like to do?

O N:ohmy: you found my Kryptonite

Red Wine:drool: only one glass though

The three youngest love Basketball & Volleyball , Amusement parks , movies .....thinking thinking:hmm: the oldest a female works alot she is a Manager In Training @ McDonald's :huh:

Thanks 4Va:up:

They would have :heart: The Navy Pier in ChiCLAWgo but that was just for my wife & I:hug:

Wboro is a small town, no movie theatre. Closest one is 15 minutes away (in Staunton), but you have three there (Regal, Dixie (cheap seats) and Visulite). Bowling alleys in both Wboro and Staunton. Closest thing to an amusement park in this area is a waterpark about 40 minutes away called Massanutten Waterpark. Massanutten does offer other activities too but don't know what.

There is an area called Wintergreen which may offer activities but not very familiar with this resort. Its a place where people ski and about 30 minutes away.

There is a YMCA (basketball courts and pool) in Wboro and you can ask for a visitors pass (or tell me if you want to go and I can call over there). In Cville, there is an ice skating rink on the downtown mall and a roller skating rink in Staunton. Call all places for times and cost. Good luck!

I thought I read somewhere the tailgating is not permitted. Did anyone else read that for Scott Stadium?

Google

Holiday Inn Express Waynesboro

MrsPurrl hooked me up:up:

Already did. No room at the inn I am afraid. I am looking at either the Holiday Inn or the Hampton Inn at Staunten. Interesting thing is that the Holiday Inn in Staunten says it is 11 miles from Charlottesville, the Hampton states that it is 30 miles from Charlottesville.

By the way Seth, hope you and the kids love the show. At this point it looks like it will be me and the GF only at this show. And when U2 comes to Ohio in 2010 (and they will) it will be me and the daughter enjoying her first U2 show!!!

No way in hell is Staunton 11 miles from Charlottesville! :lol: It is a pretty easy drive, though, on either U.S. 250 or I-64. Did you also look at Comfort Inn, Days Inn, and Super 8 in Waynesboro?

No way in hell is Staunton 11 miles from Charlottesville! :lol: It is a pretty easy drive, though, on either U.S. 250 or I-64. Did you also look at Comfort Inn, Days Inn, and Super 8 in Waynesboro?
yes, yes and yes...they are all booked. It is almost as if the greatest rock band in the word was in town or something!

By the way Seth, hope you and the kids love the show. At this point it looks like it will be me and the GF only at this show. And when U2 comes to Ohio in 2010 (and they will) it will be me and the daughter enjoying her first U2 show!!!

Thanks Aura:wave:

I really hope you are right about Ohio in 2010:drool:

Staunton is too far from Cville. Your best bet is Waynesboro, right off the highway exit 94. There are several hotels there, but I will recommend Days Inn and Best Western because I have friends who work there. I can find out if the rates are negotiable for fellow U2 fans...send me a PM if you are really interested for me to find out for you.

There are a few more hotels in Wboro and I find it hard to believe that they are all sold out.

There is a hotel in Fishersville, also (between Staunton and Wboro), but stick to Wboro if not Cville for your lodging.

There are a few more hotels in Wboro and I find it hard to believe that they are all sold out.

On hotels.com, Waynesboro appears to be sold out. Wboro is 27 miles away, and Staunton is another 10 miles past that (according to google maps).

Ba Ba is on crutches:sad:

VolleyBall injury Monday evening

They put a cast on today she will wear it for about one month then Physical Therapy

We have GA for 10/1 but seats for 10/3

I wonder if she & I can be in some section for people on crutches:hug:

Or if I can smuggle a little fold up chair ala Midnight Express:ohmy:

Ba Ba is on crutches:sad:

VolleyBall injury Monday evening

They put a cast on today she will wear it for about one month then Physical Therapy

We have GA for 10/1 but seats for 10/3

I wonder if she & I can be in some section for people on crutches:hug:

Or if I can smuggle a little fold up chair ala Midnight Express:ohmy:

That's awful! :hmm: Unless... unless there's a special section near the stage for the infirmed. Or - dare I say it? - off stage even?!?!? :faint:

:lol: Seriously, I know dealing with the crutches is going to stink, but hopefully there'll be a silver lining that develops because of them. :up: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom