No Bay Area Dates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops. Miss the thread in the "Tour Dates & Fan Gatherings" section. Thanks for correcting that and re-directing me Sicy.

I see I am not the only one feeling that way... :doh: Yes, they can *not* skip the Bay Area! The stadium options combined with the baseball and NFL seasons is a headache and could be the reason we'd have to wait until summer 2010, though. :sad:

Still, I am hoping for an Bay Area date announcement along with the exact dates and venues for other North American dates within the next week or so.

Cheers,
-Cyril

from wiki:
The Rose Bowl is like 100k - I was there 2 yrs ago for the Rose Bowl - HUGE.

It's now about 90,000 since renovations to the seating bowl and a widening of the field to accommodate soccer.

Look at the satellite photos of the Rose Bowl and Sam Boyd, and you can see that the Rose Bowl crams a lot more people into a similar amount of space (not taking into account the open end of Sam Boyd Stadium).

Oops. Miss the thread in the "Tour Dates & Fan Gatherings" section. Thanks for correcting that and re-directing me Sicy.

I see I am not the only one feeling that way... :doh: Yes, they can *not* skip the Bay Area! The stadium options combined with the baseball and NFL seasons is a headache and could be the reason we'd have to wait until summer 2010, though. :sad:

Still, I am hoping for an Bay Area date announcement along with the exact dates and venues for other North American dates within the next week or so.

Cheers,
-Cyril

Me too! I didn't think about the baseball and football stuff.. meh. I hate to have to wait until 2010 but as long as they give us something here in the Bay Area I will be happy.

I thought this might be the first time they skipped over us but I think the fall/winter leg of the popmart tour bypassed us too.

I'm really bummed cause my friends are fans but not really the travelin' kind so that means likely flying out to shows by myself.

And I would use presale for Vegas vs. LA. On Vertigo tour, the Vegas tix were in high demand whereas it was much easier to get tix to the LA shows. Plus, IMO Rose Bowl sucks (but I haven't been there in years so maybe it's changed for the better).

I guess we'll just have to wait til 2010 for a local show or two :|

Me too! I didn't think about the baseball and football stuff.. meh. I hate to have to wait until 2010 but as long as they give us something here in the Bay Area I will be happy.

Considering that they're playing Football stadiums in the Fall here in the States, I'd think that whatever the reason is for no Bay Area shows on this leg, sports are not one of them.

That being said, I hope you guys get something in 2010, at the very least. I love SF. :)

Looking at the dates, U2 is playing warmer states in October. I'm not familiar with the average temperature in the Bay Area, but it I think weather is a factor in a lot of the dates. Vancouver is the only northern city that will be played after late September.

Looking at the dates, U2 is playing warmer states in October. I'm not familiar with the average temperature in the Bay Area, but it I think weather is a factor in a lot of the dates. Vancouver is the only northern city that will be played after late September.

Weathers a crap shoot here - could be 80 degrees in Jan and 40 in July (it's pretty mild year round by comparison to places with actual seasons). traditionally when they've played here in the fall it's usually been early-mid November (and April for spring shows - except for Popmart when they only played two dates on the first leg so Bay Area getting shows on one of the legs only seems to align with how they did it on the Popmart tour). that's just based on my "touring memory" of the past 25 years so I could be remembering wrong.

I think there is a good chance for a Bay Area date, still.

I might completely wrong about this, but it sounds like they'll have two stages here in N.A. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to do Oklahoma and Phoenix on consecutive nights.

Therefore, assuming they don't add a second Rose Bowl date, they could easily fly up to Oakland and play on the 26th or the 27th, which is a Monday and Tuesday, perfect for the Raiders' schedule (unless they're playing a home Monday Night game on the 26th, which is highly unlikely).

I guess the A's have first rights, in case they make the ALCS or World Series, so that might be a problem, though.

I think the reason U2 haven't announced an Oakland date, yet, is because Live Nation is afraid of stepping on the other nearby dates: 90,000 tickets in LA and maybe 40,000 in Vegas. That's about 130,000 tickets they have to unload, plus another 50,000 in Oakland, all within a 500 mile radius in the same week in the middle of an economic tsunami. LN wants those shows sold out before announcing Oakland/San Diego/Seattle dates.

If they skip the Bay Area, I will pitch a fit, then fly to Vegas and try to re-live the PopMart Tour debacle there in 1997. :drool:

I think there is a good chance for a Bay Area date, still.

I might completely wrong about this, but it sounds like they'll have two stages here in N.A. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to do Oklahoma and Phoenix on consecutive nights.

Therefore, assuming they don't add a second Rose Bowl date, they could easily fly up to Oakland and play on the 26th or the 27th, which is a Monday and Tuesday, perfect for the Raiders' schedule (unless they're playing a home Monday Night game on the 26th, which is highly unlikely).

I guess the A's have first rights, in case they make the ALCS or World Series, so that might be a problem, though.

I think the reason U2 haven't announced an Oakland date, yet, is because Live Nation is afraid of stepping on the other nearby dates: 90,000 tickets in LA and maybe 40,000 in Vegas. That's about 130,000 tickets they have to unload, plus another 50,000 in Oakland, all within a 500 mile radius in the same week in the middle of an economic tsunami. LN wants those shows sold out before announcing Oakland/San Diego/Seattle dates.

If they skip the Bay Area, I will pitch a fit, then fly to Vegas and try to re-live the PopMart Tour debacle there in 1997. :drool:

If they make Bay Area fans go to see them in Vegas then they need to renact Popmarts opening night for us.And I highly doubt anyone will have to worry about the A's making it to the playoffs this year.LOL.

If they make Bay Area fans go to see them in Vegas then they need to renact Popmarts opening night for us.And I highly doubt anyone will have to worry about the A's making it to the playoffs this year.LOL.

Boo Angels! :wink:

Geez, you want to see that Vegas PopMart show again? That was the worst U2 show I've seen, and the crowd was fucking lame as hell. I think the lads will be exorcising some lingering demons there this October.

Boo Angels! :wink:

Geez, you want to see that Vegas PopMart show again? That was the worst U2 show I've seen, and the crowd was fucking lame as hell. I think the lads will be exorcising some lingering demons there this October.

Yah I think they will be kind of redeeeming themselves.What I meant about the Popmart show was to do it over.BTW Im a Dodger fan not an Angels fan.

I was pretty bummed about this too. I'm probably gonna drive to LV or LA or both. And then if they add a Bay Area gig, I'll hope it's on the next leg and that a) I get another presale code or b) I can save enough to pay 'someone' for GA tix to that show.

i will say U2s effort to "keep the tickets reasonable" plan doesnt work so well when you have take 4 million people in norcal and tell em you got to spend $200-300 to get to the darn show and pay for a hotel in the first place....thanks for the $30 seat bro, rather it just be in my city so I don't have to pay the travel costs....Not really into waiting another year to see a different show and setlist since you will have released another record by then and the set will dramatically change. And if you never do release that next record due to the usual BS, then we will be all bored out of our minds of the same setlist 24 months after the record and six months after the live DVD comes out.

I gotta solution, If barry obama says it should happen, then U2 will roll over like lap dogs and play the bay area....so since 90% of the bay area voted for that guy, get on the phone and tell him to demand by presidential decree an oakland show.

Hold on to your horses. This also happened with that other bands bigger bang in the bay area and then it transpired. I won’t be surprised. It takes a lot to coordinate stadiums this early in the year. They will look at all the markets. If they are playing Vegas, LA, Phoenix and Vancouver why would they miss the Bay Area region? (We have the worst stadiums) More bang for their buck to stop here. I would pick Phoenix if I have to travel. Patience…..

North American Tour shows question

I just am wondering if we can assume that additional shows will be added to the 4 N.A. shows already announced. How will we know whether to save our code for the additional show, or purchase 4 tickets immediately when it goes on presale? In other words, when will the additional show/s be added? :doh:

How will we know whether to save our code for the additional show, or purchase 4 tickets immediately when it goes on presale?

I've sent a message to Baja on u2.com because I cant for the life of me find the answer to this question and I need to know as well.

I just asked Baja on U2.com if you can use your pre-sale code for BOTH legs or just the first leg. Her response:

"right now, the answer i got was 09 only"

I responded that I thought that was pretty messed up and "What if there are no shows near you on the first leg? Your pre sale code just goes to waste?"

she then responded:

"im trying to get codes for leg 2, so people can get 2 codes. if not, then probably yes but not confirmed"

This will really suck if you dont get a new code for the second leg.

I just asked Baja on U2.com if you can use your pre-sale code for BOTH legs or just the first leg. Her response:

"right now, the answer i got was 09 only"

I responded that I thought that was pretty messed up and "What if there are no shows near you on the first leg? Your pre sale code just goes to waste?"

she then responded:

"im trying to get codes for leg 2, so people can get 2 codes. if not, then probably yes but not confirmed"

This will really suck if you dont get a new code for the second leg.

thanks for looking into this. sounds like no one has really thought any of this through. i guess i shouldn't really be surprised but PLEASE, get your crap together. at the very least you know you're gonna have a shitload of fans asking questions. so it sounds like we need to just use our codes or lose em. even if that means no local show. guess it guarantees that people travel to another market (or buy tix and sell to not let the codes go to waste).

Yeah that is really bothering me. Hopefully they will put the Vegas date back up. I will travel I guess if I have to. Dont think I can wait until 2010 to see the boys AND lose my presale code. :(

Given that we will undoubtedly have to pay new annual membership fees in 2010, shouldn't new codes for 2010 be a part of that membership? Can you imagine the uproar if they don't? I would think they wouldn't be stupid enough to collect more money but not give new codes - access to presales is the biggest reason to stay in a fan club (my opinion), so I think they will lose a lot of money if they don't...but then again, asking them to use the most basic common sense may be asking too much...

Yeah that is really bothering me. Hopefully they will put the Vegas date back up. I will travel I guess if I have to. Dont think I can wait until 2010 to see the boys AND lose my presale code. :(

*that* would be too much to bear. who knows, there might be more than one vegas show so worth traveling for? that's a town people like to travel to and i think i heard that the stadium is on the smaller side. plus it's a quick flight from SF/San Jose/Oakland :yes:

*that* would be too much to bear. who knows, there might be more than one vegas show so worth traveling for? that's a town people like to travel to and i think i heard that the stadium is on the smaller side. plus it's a quick flight from SF/San Jose/Oakland :yes:

true. I already priced flights from SFO-LV and returning LA-SFO in order to get at least 2 shows in over that weekend. $190.

$190 r/t - that's not bad at all. la is tempting but isn't the rose bowl a really crappy venue? went there for a couple of sports events years ago and it seemed really antiquated at the time.

and does anyone even think there's a slight chance that they'll add a date in Oakland or SF? i'd much rather use my code locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom