June 7, 2011 - McAfee Coliseum - Oakland, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta love Oakland! Let's Do This!!!

I noticed on the stadium's website that they don't open the parking lot till noon ... can anybody confirm if this is BS?

Hi guys - this is my first posting here so let me start by saying "HI!" and i look forward to meeting some of you on line in a few weeks!

Sooo, the site says that the parking lot won't open until 12Pm but i suspect we will still be planning to lineup in advance of that, no? Its not a pretty area to be hanging out across the street so it's really disappointing that they wont open the gates early.

What the collective thought here...what time do we really think we are planning on lining up? If i say 7AM, certainly 50% of us will line up at 6AM so what makes sense? I loved the commentary about how thee might not be a huge line because of so many Oakland-specific factors and while I want to agree with all of them, this is the first time U2 has appeared in the Bay area in 5 years and they are getting one show (which still frustrates me....c'mon, they have 10 days until the next show!).

I know its my first post so my credibility is in question as far as fan loyalty...I wanna step it up.

My plan is to be there bright and early (7AM) and i would be willing to help out in line policing, aiding, etc to ensure that we all have a kickass time. I'm bringing food, drink, and game and I encourage us all to do that. It'll be a long day out there and nowhere nearby to go to....so keep that in mind.

I don't live in O-Town (i live super south Bay) but I've been there enough to know that you want to be prepared when you get there.

So how can i help? C'mon Bay Folk - let's get this party started!!!!!!

Cheers everyone - looking forward to meeting ya all.

Bonowall

I'll only be able to come by maybe 3 PM, since I have school, but on the plus side my best friend is coming too ^^

We can bring food in the stadium, right?

I'm new to this posting thing too.. my sisters want to line up around 5 am too early for me. I have done it before and it doesn't seem to get you much closer then people who arrive later in the morning. I think 7 am is a good time. I love the idea of making it a fun organized line. Last time they played in oakland I remember parking at the gate until they opened them It didn't seem to be a problem.

My goal is to be in line by 6:30 but I'm coming from SF and picking up a friend along the way so who the heck knows. And parking... maybe I'll call the stadium a couple days before the show and ask them if there's anywhere to park earlier.

And if the gathering the night before doesn't happen, or if you can't make it to that, just wander 'round the line and ask who posts on Interference (or "Any Blue Crackers around?!?!" will do :lol: ) and I"m sure you'll find us.

Romi, or any other local, anyone have any idea where/what gate the line will be forming at? (bad grammar, sorry)

Bonowall, welcome to the forum. I'm sure that whenever we get there in the morning (5, 6, 7am) there will already be 50+ people in line so they will have worked out some kind of system by then (if not the night before :crack: )

Yes. The GA line will probably form first on the BART overcrossing. Security will kick everyone out until the day of the show, and that will be the closest place to meet that's not on stadium property.

wow, overnight camping in Oakland...thats brave.

yeah, i am thinking 7am is a great start. yeah, brews, food, games - let's coordinate and have fun.

ill be the guy with the MacPhisto Tatt on my right ankle.

My goal is to be in line by 6:30 but I'm coming from SF and picking up a friend along the way so who the heck knows. And parking... maybe I'll call the stadium a couple days before the show and ask them if there's anywhere to park earlier.

And if the gathering the night before doesn't happen, or if you can't make it to that, just wander 'round the line and ask who posts on Interference (or "Any Blue Crackers around?!?!" will do :lol: ) and I"m sure you'll find us.

Yes. The GA line will probably form first on the BART overcrossing. Security will kick everyone out until the day of the show, and that will be the closest place to meet that's not on stadium property.

I look forward to meeting the two of you.:wave:

haha - hey, i like the line # assignment with my header....that will work JUST FINE!

ya know, about that tattoo i have...i dont know if i find it incredibly amusing or frustrating when people (not U2 fans) look at it and simply say: "Soooo, you were a fan of Napster soooo much you had to get a tattoo of it?!"

I suppose its a valid comment since the artist did a lousy job. It is recognizable to "those in the know" but to all else, its the napster cat>:doh:

Name is Chris. Ill be bringing three U2 Virgins with me...My wife and my two best friends. I made them u2 fans and they have never seen a show.

Hell, my last show was Hawaii 2006 (which, to this day, was my BEST experience). I saw my two favorite bands perform on the same stage, at the same time, in freaking Hawaii. Who else here was at that magical show?

I camped out the night before wearing shorts and a tee - no sleeping bag or jacket - it was a longgggg night. But damn it was a grreat show. I think this is why i wont be camping out for Oakland...getting too old for that :hyper:

Tick tock....

Hi Chris. A lot of Interferencers were at the Hawaii show. Not me, sadly. That was before I realized that people who are not completely nutso fly to other parts of the world for concerts. A sad sad life I used to lead... :wink:

And yes, tick tock indeed 11 days, 4 hours by my clock, to be precise.

Hell, my last show was Hawaii 2006 (which, to this day, was my BEST experience). I saw my two favorite bands perform on the same stage, at the same time, in freaking Hawaii. Who else here was at that magical show?

:wave:

That was a very special show. That was my biggest U2 trip to date, and my most memorable.

So there will be ppl at the BART overcrossing and ppl at the entrance to the parking lot? How will that work exactly? Last time I did GA camp out kinda thing in Oakland was about 10 years ago (Elevation )...so my memory is sketchy at best...but I dont remember alot of ppl waiting at the BART overcrossing - most were at the parking lot.

Romi and his posse will be at the BART overcross. There will be another posse at the parking lot entrance. At precisely 6am there will be a West Side Story style rumble. Winning side will be given numbers 1-50. Losing side will be mocked for their poor dancing skills and given numbers 567-607 and be forced to go through security with large bags with lots of pockets containing sharp metal objects.

Don't know for sure if that's how it's gonna happen. I think I read it on u2.com :wink:

I've got my jazz hands ready!

I wasn't there in 2001, but it was at the arena, not the stadium. It would make sense for people to wait outside that parking lot back then because it was closer to the arena. Not anymore. At the concerts I have been to over there in the last couple of years, the GA lines have been at the BART overcrossing.

I've got my jazz hands ready!

I wasn't there in 2001, but it was at the arena, not the stadium. It would make sense for people to wait outside that parking lot back then because it was closer to the arena. Not anymore. At the concerts I have been to over there in the last couple of years, the GA lines have been at the BART overcrossing.

Ah okay - that kinda sucks though ... i was hoping to pack some stuff in the car for the day.

Ah okay - that kinda sucks though ... i was hoping to pack some stuff in the car for the day.

i actually used two brain cells and thunked them together and figured out, I can drive into the BART station , get in line then take the car over to the parking lot later when the open the lot. So it will work out just fine :hyper:

i actually used two brain cells and thunked them together and figured out, I can drive into the BART station , get in line then take the car over to the parking lot later when the open the lot. So it will work out just fine :hyper:

shooboxx, you dun read mah mind! :up:

Will BART at least offer extended services after the show?

I'd hate to be stranded at the stadium.:huh:

I had the same fear in 2005 but yes, the BART trains ran that late and were VERY crowded. We had to wait for 3 or 4 trains to fill up before we got on one. And once we got into the city we could NOT get a cab back to where we were staying. It was soooo late and we were soooo tired and feet hurt sooo much. But it was worth it :wink:

I will there with a truck of food and drink for a long day of tailgating. Where will the line be at 6 - 7AM? I may need to do the park at Bart thing as well. I am not familiar with the area so any help is appreciated.

When you say - wait on line at Bart, walk over, then go back and get car...will line police allow this? I am coming with three and I can leave two on line while i go back for the car but just trying to understand logistics and all...

One week is right....one LONG week. We should be getting snappys of the claw arriving soon, no?

Cheers - looking forward to meeting you all.

You'll be able to leave the line for a few hours at a time, I'm sure. And the polcie question... they will be dubious at first but will eventually allow it when enough people come.

I just saw this on the stadium website

Parking gates open 2 hours prior to event start time.

2 hours that's it? Ugh so where are you supposed to park if you come earlier?

Will BART at least offer extended services after the show?

I'd hate to be stranded at the stadium.:huh:

BART said they will be running longer trains for the show, but no later than usual, so it looks like the last trains leave the Coliseum at around 12:20. We will probably still be sardines, but at least they are making some allowance. One week!! :hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom